Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2014 10:13:50 PM EDT
I am looking at putting a reflex sight on my 1911. They sell it with either a 4MOA dot or an 8 MOA dot. What are the advantages/disadvantages of either size dot? I will be using this for punching holes in paper at 7-15 yards.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 10:25:55 PM EDT
[#1]
You really need to see both to make a decision.  Think of a dot with a 4 unit diameter, lay one with an 8 unit diameter on top of it, and it doesn't appear twice as big, just 50% (2 units) "bigger" but all the way around.

Smaller dot will be harder to pick up, but should allow for more precise aiming.  The larger dot will be faster to place on target simply because it is so much more obvious, but will cover more of your target.   How much of a change you will notice, and more importantly, which you will prefer, is subjective.

Link Posted: 10/7/2014 10:28:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Think of it this way. The 4 MOA dot will cover 4" at 100 yards, and the 8 MOA dot will cover 8" at 100 yards. Too far for a 1911, perhaps, but a good way to get the concept. How does that suit you?

(My edit was to recover from the fact that I realized I was in a handgun forum and not a rifle forum. C'est la vie.)
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 10:37:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You really need to see both to make a decision.  Think of a dot with a 4 unit diameter, lay one with an 8 unit diameter on top of it, and it doesn't appear twice as big, just 50% (2 units) "bigger" but all the way around.

Smaller dot will be harder to pick up, but should allow for more precise aiming.  The larger dot will be faster to place on target simply because it is so much more obvious, but will cover more of your target.   How much of a change you will notice, and more importantly, which you will prefer, is subjective.

View Quote

Help me out here with the math. How big is the 4MOA dot going to look at say 10 yards?
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 10:38:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Or another way to put it, a 4 MOA dot will cover 0.4 inches at 10 yards.

ETA:  Beat by 65 seconds
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 10:42:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Think of it this way. The 4 MOA dot will cover 4" at 100 yards, and the 8 MOA dot will cover 8" at 100 yards. Too far for a 1911, perhaps, but a good way to get the concept. How does that suit you?

(My edit was to recover from the fact that I realized I was in a handgun forum and not a rifle forum. C'est la vie.)
View Quote

So doing the math  at 10 yards the 4 MOA dot covers  .4"  the 8 MOA dot covers 0.8".  A friend of mine is looking at red dot sights - he is developing serious vision problems, He's thinking 8 MOA is still too small, and is looking for something more like 12  MOA. that is not so bright as to wash out the target.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 10:44:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Seriously-  get yourself to a Bass Pro, Cabelas, LGS, whatever, and just look at a couple of red dot sights.  Don't look AT the dot, because you'll quickly hate it.  Look through it to the target.

I'm only used to RDS on carbines and therefore much closer to my eye than arms length pistol shooting.   I suspect that the 8 MOA might be the better choice, but I wouldn't but befor you at least get a look at something in person
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 10:49:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok, I got it now. I'm a little slow sometimes
I think I will see if Cabela's has any in stock that I can handle and walk off 10 yards to see what it looks like.
Thanks for educating me.
Rob
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 10:51:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Just put a 12.9MOA RMR on mine and it is about perfect for close and long range stuff.

Smaller would be good on an AR, bigger is better for pistol work.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 11:19:11 AM EDT
[#9]

is the RMR a dot or triangle?

Quoted:
Just put a 12.9MOA RMR on mine and it is about perfect for close and long range stuff.

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/10/2014 7:41:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's a non-led RMR, triangle reticle.

Going over 8 MOA is a bit much IMHO unless your eyesight dictates it as a necessity.  6.5 LED RMR's seem to be the sweet spot for a variety of shooting pistol for the average person eyes.  The 3.25 is definitely for someone with great eyes or intends on a lot of long distance (50yrds +) on a consistent basis or with a suppressor (alot) where your FOV is busy.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:25:11 AM EDT
[#11]
How much area does a given size dot cover at a known distance:

4MOA
4'' @ 100 yards
2" @ 50 yards
1" @ 25 yards
0.5" @ 12.5yards
0.25" @ 6.25 yards
0.125" @ 3.125 yards
0.0625 @ 1.56 yards

8MOA
8'' @ 100 yards
4" @ 50 yards
2" @ 25 yards
1" @ 12.5yards
0.5" @ 6.25 yards
0.25" @ 3.125 yards
0.125 @ 1.56 yards

For rifles, you can use the dot as a very rough estimate for distance to target (human head averages 10" from chin to top of head). But for pistols, I'd say go with an 8MOA dot for ease of pick up during the targeting phase of the draw/presentation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top