Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2014 10:54:20 AM EDT
Anyone run a shoulder holster for their carry piece ? Fall and Winter are around the corner and was thinking of getting one for the larger framed pistols, Glock 20/21, 1911A1 What's the good the bad and the ugly ? Pictures of your rigs would be nice to
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 11:42:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I use a Galco Original Jackass Rig (not The Miami Classic) w/my G26.
Spend a lot of time in the car...
The only thing that bothers me a little bit is that I don't want to use the double mag carrier...it's over kill and too bulky.  Soooo, I use a tie down strap.  This make the rig a bit awkward because it tugs on my strong side belt.
But I do like the carry method overall.  I like the fact that it doesn't print under almost anything; including just a shirt in warmer weather.  And I also like the fact that I feel that the pistol, being tucked under my weak side arm, is totally under my control at all times.  (I don't like the 4 o'clock hip position for this reason, the pistol being behind me where I cannot see it or immediately control it should someone behind me detect that I am carrying.....an idiosyncratic fear, to be sure, but that's just me ).

ETA:  With a shoulder rig, reholstering is the tricky part.  IMO, it’s important to practice, and master this before wearing the rig on a regular basis.  

The considerations are;  1) being able to reholster without muzzle sweeping any part of your anatomy or any part of anyone else’s anatomy who may be nearby.  2) using your weak hand, being able to stabilize the holster for insertion of the pistol.  3) being able to “look” the pistol into the holster in order to confirm that you are not snagging any part of a cover garment or any of your weak hand fingers in the pistol’s trigger guard.  4) being able to repeat this action smoothly and consistently.

It ain’t like what we have all seen on TV.

Link Posted: 9/13/2014 10:29:09 AM EDT
[#2]
TV stars like to wear shoulder holsters down around their waist Do they make a leather one for a pistols with lights ?
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 5:54:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I just bought a Galco Miami Classic. I physically cant carry a heavy pistol (1911) in a belt holster (IWB/OWB) due to a bad back (Multiple lower back surgeries). I can't cinch a belt too tight or it causes me to have really bad back pain after a short while, so I can't use that type of carry. For a small pistol like my P238 I can carry it in a Tagua OWB belt holster with no problem, but my 1911s are quite a bit heavier and need a pretty tight belt to hold them securely.

So I have been carrying my 1911 Compact in this Miami Classic without any issues. I wear it over a T-Shirt, and under a button up shirt. Sure it may not be the most optimal way to carry in a shoulder holster, but I figure if I really need it in a hurry, then the buttons being ripped off my shirt are the least of my worries. My button up shirts are loose fitting so there is room for the rig to move around and have minimal printing.

As far as flopping around...adjust it so it rides high on your side and it doesn't flop around too much. Mine rides halfway up my side between my waistline and arm pit. It's nice to be able to comfortably carry my 1911s again after not doing so for a few years. I love my P238, but sometimes you just want a bit more power.

ETA: And yes you can carry in Condition 1 (Chambered Round, Safety On, Hammer Back) with the Miami Classic (1911 Model). The snap flap will go between the frame and the hammer. I don't even think I could get it to work in Conditions 2/3 (Hammer Down). Don't think the snap would fit at all if it had to go over a hammer in the down position.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top