Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2014 10:08:38 AM EDT
I'm seriously considering putting an RMR on my Glock 34. I've been really impressed by the various operators and instructors who are singing the praise of the RMR system, but I do have a number of questions, and before I put another $700 into my $600 Glock, I've got some questions I'd appreciate the collective wisdom here about.

(1) I'm looking at the Trijicon RMR with the 3.5 MOA. I've read articles by people using the 6 MOA RMR who have indicated that while it is great for quicker acquisition and shooting at targets out at some distance, for close in shooting, it is not very useful and may even be a bit of a hindrance. Thoughts on that?

(2) Everything I'm reading points to the Trijicon RMR as still being the best choice. True? Your experirences?

(3) How long did it take for the guys using the RMR to get used to how to operate it properly. If I understand what I'm studying correctly, and based on my limited use of one on some friend's handguns, the key is to get the pistol quickly up to your eye while keeping the target in focus and pressing the trigger the moment the dot is on target. Somewhat the same as using a red dot on a rifle. I know you are NOT supposed to look at or focus on the dot or the pistol's front post any longer. Just curious how long it took you to get a hang of it.

(4) I've read that the RMR is good for aging eyes. My eyes are actually quite good. I had laser surgery on my eyes and my right eye (dominant eye), is my distance eye, which has caused me a bit of problem trying to focus on that front post. Observations?

(5) What outfit would you recommend for a custom milling of my Glock frame? I understand that is the best way to go, to get the optic settle down as low as possible, with the installation of high suppressor sights, probably night sights for me.

(6) Holsters: I really like Bladetech products, but have also been looking closely at the holsters Safariland make primarily for LEO and military use that allow the user to use a Glock with the RMR and a tac light on it, thoughts on holsters? Suggestions?

And finally, any other thoughts or comments you might have? Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 10:23:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm seriously considering putting an RMR on my Glock 34. I've been really impressed by the various operators and instructors who are singing the praise of the RMR system, but I do have a number of questions, and before I put another $700 into my $600 Glock, I've got some questions I'd appreciate the collective wisdom here about.

(1) I'm looking at the Trijicon RMR with the 3.5 MOA. I've read articles by people using the 6 MOA RMR who have indicated that while it is great for quicker acquisition and shooting at targets out at some distance, for close in shooting, it is not very useful and may even be a bit of a hindrance. Thoughts on that?
You want at least a 6 MOA dot.  Maybe larger.  I have the 6 MOA, and it's pretty small for a handgun.

(2) Everything I'm reading points to the Trijicon RMR as still being the best choice. True? Your experirences?
I love mine.  Haven't used any of the other mini red dots for comparison, though.

(3) How long did it take for the guys using the RMR to get used to how to operate it properly. If I understand what I'm studying correctly, and based on my limited use of one on some friend's handguns, the key is to get the pistol quickly up to your eye while keeping the target in focus and pressing the trigger the moment the dot is on target. Somewhat the same as using a red dot on a rifle. I know you are NOT supposed to look at or focus on the dot or the pistol's front post any longer. Just curious how long it took you to get a hang of it.
From the holster, look for the sights, not the dot.  Once you find the sights, the dot appears.  It doesn't take THAT long to get used to.

(4) I've read that the RMR is good for aging eyes. My eyes are actually quite good. I had laser surgery on my eyes and my right eye (dominant eye), is my distance eye, which has caused me a bit of problem trying to focus on that front post. Observations?
The RMR eliminates the need to maintain a balance of focus between the target and the sights or to focus on one or the other.  Both are completely in focus.  The only issue is that anyone with an astigmatism will see a "blossomed" dot instead of a nice crisp dot.  I wear prescription shooting glasses, so I don't have any trouble.  In a self defense situation, I'd probably have my glasses on.  If not, I can still use the "blossoming" dot.

(5) What outfit would you recommend for a custom milling of my Glock frame? I understand that is the best way to go, to get the optic settle down as low as possible, with the installation of high suppressor sights, probably night sights for me.
L&M Precision did a fantastic job on mine.

(6) Holsters: I really like Bladetech products, but have also been looking closely at the holsters Safariland make primarily for LEO and military use that allow the user to use a Glock with the RMR and a tac light on it, thoughts on holsters? Suggestions?
Use whatever holster you want.  Just take a Dremel and relieve any areas that get in the way.  The OTG on my war belt required no Dremel work, but my Raven Phantom did require a little trimming.
View Quote

The RMR makes shooting at a distance much easier.  Transitioning from target to target is faster for me, too.  I don't think you'll regret the decision to put the RMR on there.  One thing to consider, though, is that unless you just really want to put it on the 34, there is minimal benefit from the longer slide when you have a red dot.  You will get a small increase in velocity, but I've never seen a test where that little bit of extra velocity translated into an appreciable difference in performance.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 2:51:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote

Go with the 6.5. I switched from the smaller one and like it so much better.
Trijicon is very nice. I have two.  Never tried the other brands
It has definitely taken some getting used to, but I also dont get to shoot much.
I would agree that it is great for aging eyes, and even young eyes. Very easy to get on target.
I used L&M
None of my holsters required any work to them

My FNX Tactical is RMR'd, as well as my Glock 19.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 10:00:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

1. Like anything it's a lot dependent on the user and trying to look through both before purchase is always ideal.  Having said that the 6.5 is the most common choice, and based on your description of your eye sight referenced in number 4, it's probably going to be the best for you to use.

2. The RMR is still the best and is closely rivaled by the Doctor 3.  But for many reasons concerning availability, sourcing parts, machining efforts, etc. there is no real advantage to using it outside of initial cost savings on the unit itself.  You can see a pro/cost list for it here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_23/148146_RMR_vs_Doctor.html

3. Like anything it will be user dependent, how proficient you are with irons, how you set up your gun, etc.  There are many who don't use co-witness suppressor sights or have the rear sight mounted in front of the RMR because that is how the company chooses to mount it to minimize machining time, expense, skill.  IF you do a set-up with suppressor sights mounted in their traditional position the way L&M and Suarez do, it will make life easier.  The learning curve is relatively quick with it this way and the dot lollipopped on the front post at a 10 yard sight-in.  

4.  I started using the RMR having severe astigmatism and even with the blooming of the dot because of this affliction, my shooting improved with the rmr.  It translated to shooting better with a normal pistol iron set-up as it makes you rapidly aware of your trigger skill when that dot starts moving.  It's been even better since I had LASIK as the dot is nice and crisp.

5. Send your gun to L&M Precision.  Mark is top notch business guy and he's been doing the milling from day-one of the RMR set-up concept in its present standard.  He offers complete gun packages and can do grip customization as well. His homepage will show when he is on down-time, etc for vacation. http://www.landmprecisiongunworks.com/

6. I have been using Dale Fricke for my holsters.  He can customize to fit lights or other variations to his standard designs needed in majority of cases.  He has been making holsters longer than anyone else for use with the RMR.   http://dalefrickeholsters.com/

I prefer the RMR-02 LED or the RMR-07 adjustable LED over the non-battery powered RMR-04 or 05.  My RMR-02 has gone 22 months on the same battery at this time with no issues, that time is common with other users.  A lot of people who have used theirs with night vision like the adjustability option of the 07 model.  It too can be set to auto adjust like the 02 and as an added bonus can be powered off without removing the battery.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top