Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2012 11:32:35 PM EDT
Well I recently took the opportunity to purchase a holster from Philster holsters, after seeing his many You tube DIY videos and his production methods. To give you some background, I am a hobbiest leather holster maker who has been building my own holsters for the last 6 or 8 years. I am a leather guy for 90% of my needs, but I am not so hung up that I can't appreciate a quality kydex rig. In my own craft, I am not able to build a concealable light bearing rig that meets my standards for consistant reliability, as the light complicates things many times over, causing the draw to be less than smooth.

Anyway, I recently ordered a Philster kydex OWB holster for my Sig GSR 1911 with TLR-1 light attached. Throughout the transaction I had very good customer support and was contacted directly and offered the same holster, in a different color than I ordered, in the event I wanted to shorten my wait time, as the color of Kydex that I originally ordered was out of stock and on back order. I took Jon up on his offer and got my holster with in a week of our conversation.

I found the holster to fit well, had great finish and attention to detail. It rode shlightly high, which is where I wanted it. The cant was perfect and the retention was exactly as I had expected, allowing the holster to be shook upside down with the gun in it, without the gun coming loose, but yet still allowing for a smooth, consistent draw. The belt attachment points were solid and strong, as well as designed to securly hold the pistol to the belt tightly enough to hold the gun without shifting or movement. This allows for a CCW rig that doesn't shift. I was able to conceal the rig with just a t-shirt, which amazed me considering the size of the gun/light combo.

I wore this rig for a couple of weeks before I had the chance to truly give it a range work out . Once I had the opportunity, I spent a day with it on the range working on my one shot draws and transitions from my rifle to my pistol. The holster worked wonderfully and I had zero issues with it. In my experience with other kydex holsters, I expected some hoster wear on the trigger guard, where the retention is usually set up as a pinch point. I did not experience this issue with this holster. I don't know if it was due to the light or what, but the design was well executed and did not exhibit this problem.

So... with all that being said, if you are in the market, give Philster holsters a look. I can recommend them without reservation as a seriously solid piece of kit.

-Tac
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 11:41:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Post some pics!

I love his videos, seems like a stand up guy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top