BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
winchester silver tips (Page 2 of 2)
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 3:21:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I fired in 10mm some 180 and 200 grain xtp and nosler 200 hand loads.  And factory 175 g Silvertips into 4 gallon jugs each at 6 ft.

The Silvertips were the only one to stay in one piece.  2 rounds each.  

Link Posted: 9/29/2023 3:30:21 PM EDT
[#2]
If the factory ammo I fired through my Witness when I had one, the Silvertips made the nicest fireball.

I love a good fireball!
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 9:52:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

Yeah that's good news. Silver Tips used to be absurdly over prices, like $45-50 per box of 50.

Winchester has a HUGE potential to revive and modernize this load.
View Quote

If they modernize it, the cost to purchase it will be along the lines of other modern ammo like HST, Gold Dot, et al.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 9:36:41 PM EDT
[#4]
anyone know if these have sealed case mouths and / or primers ?

can't find anything online yes / no
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 8:38:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

Back in '86, what would you have carried?

I think it was around 89 or '90 that I started carrying the Cor Bon 115 +p but that may penetrate even less than the Silvertip. Did Hornady make the XTP back in '86?

View Quote

ISP's Fed 115 gr +P+.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 3:17:14 PM EDT
[#6]
An earlier post mentions Seecamp in reference to the Miami Shootout. I wasn't aware one was used there.

Fun fact, Ludwig Seecamp designed his flagship around Silvertips. "At the time we began manufacturing the LWS .32 we were the only game in town on small .32ACP pistols and Winchester was the only viable option on hollow points."

Current production LWS 32s still run best with hollow points loaded to the same OAL and bullet dimensions as Silvertips. There is a spacer in the magazine that can be removed if the user wants to tweak it.

New 32 APC Silvertips haven't been available in years. I have never seen them in the wild. As a result, they are a niche demand among Seecamp aficionados.

My only experiences with STs were in a short barreled .44 Special similar to the Charter Arms Bulldog. They were flying ash trays. That gun was a beast. Bullet jump was a thing. Ironically I traded it for my 32 LWS.

Regardless of the load, neither is a gun I would want to take to a gun fight. They are both last ditch belly guns.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 7:44:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Ewald:
An earlier post mentions Seecamp in reference to the Miami Shootout. I wasn't aware one was used there.

Fun fact, Ludwig Seecamp designed his flagship around Silvertips. "At the time we began manufacturing the LWS .32 we were the only game in town on small .32ACP pistols and Winchester was the only viable option on hollow points."

Current production LWS 32s still run best with hollow points loaded to the same OAL and bullet dimensions as Silvertips. There is a spacer in the magazine that can be removed if the user wants to tweak it.

New 32 APC Silvertips haven't been available in years. I have never seen them in the wild. As a result, they are a niche demand among Seecamp aficionados.

My only experiences with STs were in a short barreled .44 Special similar to the Charter Arms Bulldog. They were flying ash trays. That gun was a beast. Bullet jump was a thing. Ironically I traded it for my 32 LWS.

Regardless of the load, neither is a gun I would want to take to a gun fight. They are both last ditch belly guns.
View Quote

Flying ash trays are fine if they penetrate enough.

IMO, the only .32 loads that penetrates sufficiently are Sellier & Bellot, Fiocchi, and the Amercian specialty loads like Buffalo Bore.
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 10:47:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Nick_Adams] [#8]
Originally Posted By StevenH:
They’ve been upgraded recently.
I always liked them for 10mm
,  41Mag & .357Mag. It’s also the only reliable .45 JHP in my 1911.
View Quote

Winny definitely “upgraded” the 175grn 10mm STHPs recently by downgrading the claimed velocity to 1200fps.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021976665?pid=260451

The old (alleged) box-flap spec was “1290fps” from a 5.5” factory test barrel. Only the original so-called “white box” 10mm STs ever approximated that, as chronographed circa 1990 from a 5” S&W 1006. Those were definitely hot 10mm ammo.

But as some have said earlier, the ST bullet is old tech, and for use in proper (real) 10mm ammo, there are better choices.
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 10:07:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Ewald:

View Quote

That's because there wasn't.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
winchester silver tips (Page 2 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top