User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 12:30:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bradd_D:
I carry it in a 43X. I've shot 124 gr and 147 gr HST without any issues.
View Quote

@Bradd_D

If you could only pick one, which would it be and why?
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 1:42:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Nate19:

@Bradd_D

If you could only pick one, which would it be and why?
View Quote
I like the performance of 147 gr. It seems to be more consistent across a wider range of barrel lengths. I also prefer the recoil characteristics.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 12:53:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Molon:

Yup forums like this are a dying breed.  Youtube is the modern version of gun-rag writers, full of false information, and much of what is posted on social media is just shilling
View Quote

Yep, and it’s unfortunate. Searching reddit sucks ASS, whereas traditional forums offer a far more efficient search logic and are far superior as repositories of quality information.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 10:26:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Molon] [#4]
Originally Posted By AZYoungGun:

Yep, and it’s unfortunate. Searching reddit sucks ASS, whereas traditional forums offer a far more efficient search logic and are far superior as repositories of quality information.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AZYoungGun:

Yup forums like this are a dying breed.  Youtube is the modern version of gun-rag writers, full of false information, and much of what is posted on social media is just shilling

Anyone who accepts free product from a manufacturer to review is a shill until proven otherwise.  Anyone who takes payment from a manufacturer to do a review is absolutely a shill.  There's even a manufacturer on this site right now that has been soliciting social media "influencers" in a tech thread and offering to pay them to do a review of his product.  The only thing that they will influence me on is that I won't believe a word that comes out of their mouths about this product.

Link Posted: 12/16/2023 6:00:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Anyone who accepts free product from a manufacturer to review is a shill until proven otherwise.
View Quote

I’m always amazed by YouTubers, one in particular that I used to watch regularly, who say, “They provided that weapon and ammunition for the review, but I’m not being paid any money.” As if the $1000+ value of the product and ammunition, and the resulting hours of enjoyment “playing” with the weapon, have no impact on how that person is going to review the product. And the content of that review will have no impact on future opportunities to get access to other weapons and ammunition (and hours of enjoyment). I’d rather they just don’t bother trying to say that they’re unbiased and get on with demonstrating the weapon so I can see its features and let me make my own assessment by observing them shoot.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 11:39:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Is the current HST significantly improved from that of 5-years ago?
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 7:20:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By StevenH:
View Quote

It depends on what your definition of "improved" is.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 12:30:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Molon] [#8]

For those of you who aren’t reloaders, but are looking for a less expensive round to train with that has similar interior and exterior ballistics to the standard pressure 147 grain HST load, the Federal 147 grain 9MS load has produced nearly identical precision and accuracy in my barrels to that of the 147 grain HST load.

A 10-shot group of the 147 grain 9MS load fired from a distance of 25 yards had an extreme spread of 0.85" while a 10-shot group of the 147 grain HST had an extreme spread of 0.83".

The muzzle velocity of a 10-shot string of the 147 grain 9MS load when fired from my Glock 19 with the factory barrel was 955 FPS with a standard deviation of 8 FPS.  The 147 grain HST fired from the same Glock 19 had a muzzle velocity of 1018 FPS with a standard deviation of 18 FPS.

…..

Link Posted: 1/27/2024 8:16:35 PM EDT
[#9]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/28568/federal_147_hst_vs_147_9ms_001_resized-3109106.jpg

For those of you who aren’t reloaders, but are looking for a less expensive round to train with that has similar interior and exterior ballistics to the standard pressure 147 grain HST load, the Federal 147 grain 9MS load has produced nearly identical precision and accuracy in my barrels to that of the 147 grain HST load.
A 10-shot group of the 147 grain 9MS load fired from a distance of 25 yards had an extreme spread of 0.85" while a 10-shot group of the 147 grain HST had an extreme spread of 0.83".

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/28568/federal_9ms_10_shot_group__02c_resized-3104872.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/28568/147_hst_standard_10_shot_group_01-2199230.jpg

The muzzle velocity of a 10-shot string of the 147 grain 9MS load when fired from my Glock 19 with the factory barrel was 955 FPS with a standard deviation of 8 FPS.  The 147 grain HST fired from the same Glock 19 had a muzzle velocity of 1018 FPS with a standard deviation of 18 FPS.

…..

View Quote

Thank you sir! As a non reloader and some with with a decent amount of 9MS sitting around this is very good information for me.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 4:09:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Went to the big show in Northern VA last weekend and saw lots of 147 gr HSTs for sale again. Most places were selling them for $33-$39 / box of 50. Lots of cases for sale too. I found one that had a deal for 3 boxes (150 rounds) for $85, so I went with that. That’s the cheapest I’ve seen it in recent memory and will let me test a few more pistols with it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 10:42:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By StevenH:
View Quote

I think it was tweaked to give deeper penetration (in jell). The velocity was slightly reduced also.

A few years ago "everyone" realized that duty loads were not penetrating enough. Instead of expanding to .65" and penetrating 13" "everyone" now wanted 18" of penetration with .50" expansion.  I'm waiting to find out that .40" expansion with 25" of penetration is the new ideal so I can carry my 40SW with FMJ.

*I am confident in the old HST and the new "improved" HST and I dont think you could go wrong with either/or.

Link Posted: 2/9/2024 11:51:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 11:57:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Flip ammo is selling complete HSTs for 147gr for like 55 cents for complete rounds, pulls would have to be cheap to be worth it?
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 12:17:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Zhukov:
Is anyone still selling HST pulls? I got a batch of 124gr GDHPs from RMR not too long ago.

View Quote

I just ordered 500 147gr ones from American reloading.  Should be here tomorrow
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 6:54:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Hyrum-22:

Thank you sir! As a non reloader and some with with a decent amount of 9MS sitting around this is very good information for me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Hyrum-22:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/28568/federal_147_hst_vs_147_9ms_001_resized-3109106.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/28568/federal_9ms_10_shot_group__02c_resized-3104872.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/28568/147_hst_standard_10_shot_group_01-2199230.jpg

…..

De nada.

Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:42:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top