Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2017 9:08:59 PM EDT
I have both Geco and S&B 158 gr FMJ 38 Spec. ammo. Both are not marked as +P but both feel and kick harder than the American made ammo. The Geco is noticeably the hottest feeling. Has anyone chrono'd either one of these loads ? How do they compare to the standard American load ? Would either be safe to fire in a non +P firearm ? -Thanks
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 8:11:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Geco is generally HOT.  I had some .38. My little 442 felt & sounding like a hand cannon shooting that ammo.  I traded it.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 9:58:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Probably not +p but at the top of the CIP/SAAMI range.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 12:32:35 PM EDT
[#3]
My coworker hasn't got around to chronoing the rounds I gave him, so in the mean time I emailed Geco and asked about the 158 gr 38 Spec. being +P at 968 fps. and the test barrel length. Here's the reply I got :

Hello Mr. XXXX,

thank you for your interest in our products.

Our GECO .38Spec. cartridges are loaded to the standard CIP regulations.

The muzzle velocity is measured with a 6 inch /150mm CIP test barrel.

We hope this information fits your needs.

With best regards

Stefan Rumpler
Technical Service

RUAG Ammotec GmbH
Kronacher Straße 63
90765 Fürth/Germany

Tel: +49 911 7930-137
Fax: +49 911 7930-282
E-Mail: [email protected]
------------------------------------------------------
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Fürth
HRB 9128 Amtsgericht Fürth
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender:
Urs Breitmeier
Geschäftsführung:
Cyril Kubelka, Vorsitzender
Christian Lutz, Paul-Erik Toivo  
kyron4 is online now Report Post
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 5:44:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Keep in mind that CIP (European) pressure standards are quite a bit different than SAAMI (USA) pressure standards for .38 Special. If you're not aware, European standard pressure marked .38 Special may possibly result in American +P or even greater pressure.

SAAMI .38 Special standard pressure is 17,000 PSI piezo
SAAMI .38 Special +P is 19,000 PSI piezo
CIP .38 Special standard pressure is 22,000 PSI piezo
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 4:52:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Keep in mind that CIP (European) pressure standards are quite a bit different than SAAMI (USA) pressure standards for .38 Special. If you're not aware, European standard pressure marked .38 Special may possibly result in American +P or even greater pressure.
View Quote
This is the correct answer.   CIP does not differentiate between +P and standard in the .38 special.  (+P is purely a SAAMI thing)   CIP adopted this standard in 1984.

CIP max pressure is 1500 BAR = 21,756 PSI.

SAAMI max pressure has changed over the years since it used to be measured in CUP which only sort-of corresponds to PSI as measured with a piezo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top