Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/1/2017 8:59:03 PM EDT
I'm looking for something in the 158 grain range, with a minimum of 12" penetration, and decent expansion. Most offerings are 125 grains or less.

I plan on carrying Buffalo Bore 158 grain LSWC non-hollowpoint for a hiking round. My chances of needing a handgun are slim, and agressive blackbear encounter even more slim, but I would like the peace of mind. I should just handload a 1000FPS LSWC but I want commercial ammo if I encounter a methhead and defend myself.

For general CCW purposes I have found Hornady Custom 158 Grain XTP, Federal LSWCHP (LuckyGunner tests 21" penetration but minimal expansion), and random Fiocchi. I'd prefer a common OTS ammo but I think I am SOL.

Currently carrying UMC 125 JHP +P because its what I had.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 9:39:04 PM EDT
[#1]
You might want to look at winchester .38 special 158 grain x38spd. It's an old design but it works. It's commonly called the "FBI load".
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 1:09:46 AM EDT
[#2]
If I had a .38 special I would probably carry DPX in it http://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/DocGKRData/38spl_HorndayFTX_SpeerGDHP_CorbonDPX.htm

The dpx seems pretty consistent and consistency seems to be harder to get in .38 special. it also expands nicely. It is 110gr solid copper but seems to have some of the advantages you would look for with a 158gr bullet regarding consistency.

It was hard for me searching online to find a test for all interesting 158gr loads out of a 4in barrel. There are more tested loads with 2in barrels ... at least it seems so. If anyone has done more testing in a 4in barrel I would also be very interested in the results.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 11:24:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I gave my daughter a box of these for hers.

Link Posted: 6/2/2017 11:52:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Just carry your reloads.  I carry handloaded 158gr XTP loaded to about 900fps in my Model 10 Heavy Barrel as my woods carry gun.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 4:22:42 PM EDT
[#5]
If your carrying the lswc for a hiking load , why don't you use the lswc HP for a defense load?

Buffalo Bore has them both. So does Underwood.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 4:31:19 PM EDT
[#6]
If you want a classic load:

FBI load, 158gn LSWCHP. Not sure who makes it now but I'm sure someone does.
Federal Nyclad HP.  Federal does runs of this every so often but it's not always available. Very mild recoiling load.

If you want a more modern load:
XTP, Gold Dot, Gold Dot Short barrel, you name it there's a ton.

Good choice on the outdoors load.

What gun?
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 6:40:12 PM EDT
[#7]
S&W 64-5.

The LSWCHPs I've seen don't expand much. I like the SWC, but 900FPS federals penetrate 22" and don't expand
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 9:42:47 PM EDT
[#8]
When checking lead HP  for hardness I use my fingernail. If I can dig my nail into it it's soft lead. Should expand  

Underwood  lhp loads are soft   I use them alot.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 10:55:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Buffalo Bore 158gr LSWCHP+P.  Super soft lead with gas check expands GREAT.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top