Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2016 5:43:05 AM EDT
I was wondering if anyone has any first hand experience with the Winchester Ranger RA9T 147 grain in the black boxes? I know that it when it was more available in the tan boxes back in the day it was a reliable performer and I was wondering if the packaging is the only thing that changed about this ammo? I was looking for some gel test but the only ones I saw in the black box were the bonded version. I have 500 rounds on the way to me as I type.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 6:06:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Have a couple hundred rounds of it, carried the non-bonded version for the first year or so on duty. The non bonded version apparently had jacket separation issues, the bonded version supposedly fixes that. I prefer HST but I can get these at a good price so why not?
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 12:44:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 10:35:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I have been a Ranger dealer since 1997. I have never seen a jacket separation with the RA9T but all brands that are not bonded could have that will hard barriers. It is a generation newer than the tan boxes. They wanted to update the Ranger T to expand a little more with the last generation.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 7:56:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks so far fellas. I have seen the bonded version and it seemed in the test I have been able to locate online that the expansion isn't as good with the bonded. I also don't anticipate having to shoot through a windshield in a self defense situation. I saw the Winchester chart posted above, but I know that manufacturers tend to perform test under perfect conditions. I am looking for third party reviews or experiences such as tnoutdoors9 reviews or the like.  Just seems a little more realistic. I have seen the tan boxes tested and even a bonded review. I just want to know that the expansion and performance of the newly packaged stuff is on par with the older stuff.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 8:01:34 PM EDT
[#5]
We issue RA40T. Never seen a difference in performance from tan box to black box. Think it was just a packaging swap. Personally, I liked the old tan box better.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 11:01:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We issue RA40T. Never seen a difference in performance from tan box to black box. Think it was just a packaging swap. Personally, I liked the old tan box better.
View Quote

Lmao just from a looks perspective or from a shooting stand point?
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 6:22:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Top middle, total jacket separation and failed to expand in a basic sim test. Tan boxed stuff if that helps.

I'm not carrying that after seeing the end result.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 6:50:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Top middle, total jacket separation and failed to expand in a basic sim test. Tan boxed stuff if that helps.

http://i.imgur.com/t7LK3fL.jpg

View Quote

I know you have me on block so maybe some one else can ask this.

Did you fire more than one round and what was the medium?
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 11:31:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 6:13:57 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote

SXT isn't the same as the Ranger-T, right?

Link Posted: 10/17/2016 6:15:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha just looks. New box looks like cheesy high tech. It's just boolits.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 6:33:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I was wondering if anyone has any first hand experience with the Winchester Ranger RA9T 147 grain in the black boxes? I know that it when it was more available in the tan boxes back in the day it was a reliable performer and I was wondering if the packaging is the only thing that changed about this ammo? I was looking for some gel test but the only ones I saw in the black box were the bonded version. I have 500 rounds on the way to me as I type.
View Quote

Shootingthebull410 tested RA9T out of the black box out of a 3" barrel handgun.  Looks good to me.  I have 500 rounds on hand for my Shield, but I carry P9HST2

Link Posted: 10/17/2016 7:18:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd like to say yes, that they are not. Maybe someone else can give a better answer than I had just given as I am very unsure right now.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 9:45:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://<a href=http://i.imgur.com/t7LK3fL.jpg

I know you have me on block so maybe some one else can ask this.

Did you fire more than one round and what was the medium?

Dont quote me, just ask. edited - Eric802
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 10:44:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'd like to say yes, that they are not. Maybe someone else can give a better answer than I had just given as I am very unsure right now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much they are the same round. I was aware that some lots of the tan box had issues with expansion and/or jacket separation. That's why I have asked for recent test with the new packaging. I am hoping that it was isolated to a few lots and they got there stuff together again an are back on par with what they produced before. I also know that it has been harder to source for civilians since they stopped supplying the major retailers who violated winchesters le only policy.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 11:10:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Pretty much they are the same round. I was aware that some lots of the tan box had issues with expansion and/or jacket separation. That's why I have asked for recent test with the new packaging. I am hoping that it was isolated to a few lots and they got there stuff together again an are back on par with what they produced before. I also know that it has been harder to source for civilians since they stopped supplying the major retailers who violated winchesters le only policy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the reply. I'll make an actual effort to find a box, or least try to secure a few rounds of it to give the newer boxed (and new lots) a try when my new sim test kit finally arrives and I can mold it into a rubbermaid storage box like tnoutdoors9 does.

I have lots and lots to test already waiting impatiently for the new stuff to arrive, and now my list keeps on getting bigger.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 11:25:30 PM EDT
[#17]
That would be great! Seeing as I like the way tnoutdoors does his testing. His calibration with a bb is a nice touch and while it may not be a perfect test scenario it is consistent and repeatable.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 11:37:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
That would be great! Seeing as I like the way tnoutdoors does his testing. His calibration with a bb is a nice touch and while it may not be a perfect test scenario it is consistent and repeatable.
View Quote
Just spent some time looking to buy a box, talk about a unicorn

Hopefully someone that has a significant stash and can afford to spare a box, see's this thread and my post and is maybe willing to sell me a box of it.

I have been talking offline to tnoutdoors9 quite a bit off and on, he really knows his stuff. Did you know that he first started this by testing bullets in mud? Kinda funny in an interesting way.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 11:21:41 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

SXT is not the "Same Xact Thing" as RA9T... SXT bullet sucks.... the Ranger T bullet is great.

I carry RA9T, and have for years. There is not much, if any difference between RA9T in tan boxes, vs the new black boxes. But, you have to be careful, there is some tan boxed SXT bullet stuff out there floating around (SG Ammo had some, most recently). It's in Ranger boxes, but it is not the Ranger-T bullet. The part number on the box should be "RA9T" If it is anything else, then it's not the same stuff. To confuse the issue a bit more... some of the old tan box RA9T did have "SXT" printed on the box, but not as part of the part number.

If I get some time later, I'll see if I can find some boxes and take a photo to illustrate my points.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top