Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2016 11:47:10 AM EDT
I just ordered 1000rds of this ammo for $199 with free shipping.  I'm hoping they're almost as soft and smooth shooting as Freedom Munition's 147s.  They list the velocity as 950fps versus the Freedom Munitions which is 890fps so I understand that they won't be quite as much of a "piffer."  Will be shooting them through a Gen 4 G34 13# recoil spring for 3-gun, IDPA, and practice.  Anyone have experience with them?

Link

I plan on using my 13# recoil spring with them but will test it with the stock spring as well.  I'll update when I get a chance to shoot it to let you all know how it goes.  I reload for rifle but with prices like this, it's just not worth the time for me to reload 9mm.

EDIT - RESULTS:

OP here, I'm pleased to report I shot about 100rds practice and 100rds competition in a steel challenge match with the Peak Performance 147's and didn't have any issue. I tried them with a stock recoil spring and a 13# glockmeister spring through the G34 with factory mags. Both springs functioned fine but the stock spring felt better suited and took out more recoil. They are slightly hotter than the Freedom Munitions but the difference was negligible. Ejection that I noted was on par for every other ammo I've used in this gun. I used up my last of the Freedom Munitions and supplemented with the new Peak Performance ammo during the match and I didn't notice a difference under the heat of competition. The recoil was low enough that I didn't lose my grip, although the fresh Talon grips certainly had something to do with that. Zero malfunctions out of the 200rds I've shot so far. The 1000rds came packaged in two separate (delicate) clear plastic bags. Mixed headstamp and some small dings on the bullet jackets but nothing I'm worried about. The packaging was adequate to get them delivered but one of the plastic bags tore open almost immediately upon handling them and I spilled ammo everywhere. I can't complain though, I'd rather save money on ammo than spend more for them to box them up in 50rd boxes. I can deal with having to throw them into a coffee can. Overall I'm happy and would recommend them so far, but note that I'm only 200rds in. If I encounter any issues I'll come back but I don't foresee any problem
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 11:57:20 AM EDT
[#1]
In for range report
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:08:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Same.
That's a good price for 147g...but it is used brass.  I tried a half-case of USAC Sales 124g new brass stuff for $92 and was very pleased.  Wish it had been 147.

If you shoot a couple hundred rounds of that Peak without issue, I'm in.  I want something like that to compete with.  I don't reload.  ;)

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 4:55:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Good luck. Make sure you inspect it well before shooting.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 9:01:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I saw that deal and was interested as well. My only hesitation is that the 147 reloads I got from freedom left a little to be desired. Some bulged cases from bullet seating and one with an upside down primer. Makes me wonder how great their QC is.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 9:12:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't know the current price, but several times during the last year I have bought cases of 147gr Lawman for under $250 shipped.

ETA: back in May of this year it was $225.80 per case shipped.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 10:33:31 PM EDT
[#6]
New SGA email today -  New Speer Lawman 147gr for $240.80 shipped.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 12:06:07 PM EDT
[#7]
OP here, I'm pleased to report I shot about 100rds practice and 100rds competition in a steel challenge match with the Peak Performance 147's and didn't have any issue.  I tried them with a stock recoil spring and a 13# glockmeister spring through the G34 with factory mags.  Both springs functioned fine but the stock spring felt better suited and took out more recoil.  They are slightly hotter than the Freedom Munitions but the difference was negligible.  Ejection that I noted was on par for every other ammo I've used in this gun.  I used up my last of the Freedom Munitions and supplemented with the new Peak Performance ammo during the match and I didn't notice a difference under the heat of competition.  The recoil was low enough that I didn't lose my grip, although the fresh Talon grips certainly had something to do with that.  Zero malfunctions out of the 200rds I've shot so far.  The 1000rds came packaged in two separate (delicate) clear plastic bags.  Mixed headstamp and some small dings on the bullet jackets but nothing I'm worried about.  The packaging was adequate to get them delivered but one of the plastic bags tore open almost immediately upon handling them and I spilled ammo everywhere.  I can't complain though, I'd rather save money on ammo than spend more for them to box them up in 50rd boxes.  I can deal with having to throw them into a coffee can. Overall I'm happy and would recommend them so far, but note that I'm only 200rds in.  If I encounter any issues I'll come back but I don't foresee any problems.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top