Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2016 3:30:42 PM EDT
I recently bought some bulk priced .40 HST from Mass Ammo.  It arrived in 2 .30 cal cans with 250 rounds per can.  The ammo was placed inside 50 round trays (but no boxes) inside the cans.  As currently packed, numerous rounds have come loose.  

I'm thinking of repackaged the ammo in ziplock, 50 rounds to a bag.  

Any potential downside to this?  Is moisture a possible problem?  I can throw desiccant packs in each can and/or each bag.  

Ammunition will be stored in a climate controlled basement.  Up until now all factory ammunition has been stored in this basement inside factory boxes stacked inside non airtight plastic bins.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 3:47:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I have some ammo that's 3 or 4 years old loose in ammo cans with a desi pack. Haven't had a problem and I end up checking up on it because I haven't labeled my ammo cans and have to open them up to see what ammo is in what can.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 4:03:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Moisture's no more a problem with loose ammo than it would be with 50rd boxes.  If you live in a high humidity area, keep it sealed and feel free to throw in some desi-packs.

Only possible issue with loose pack is the brass won't be as pretty and might wear away things like primer sealant from rubbing against each other, if you move it around a lot.  For sitting on a shelf, not an issue, but I wouldn't recommend it for a stash you keep in the car, for instance.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 5:16:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I have stored ammo in G.I. ammo cans for the last 30 years.
It will be fine. Mine is sure fire as new ammo.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 6:53:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Good to go
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 8:24:59 PM EDT
[#5]
It is my preferred storage method.  Deal with the freaking boxes just once and be done with it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 8:43:52 PM EDT
[#6]
GTG but there are stories of throwing ammo while reloading into a ammo can and setting a round off
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 10:54:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I recently bought some bulk priced .40 HST from Mass Ammo.  It arrived in 2 .30 cal cans with 250 rounds per can.  The ammo was placed inside 50 round trays (but no boxes) inside the cans.  As currently packed, numerous rounds have come loose.  

Any potential downside to this?  Is moisture a possible problem?  I can throw desiccant packs in each can and/or each bag.  

Ammunition will be stored in a climate controlled basement.  Up until now all factory ammunition has been stored in this basement inside factory boxes stacked inside non airtight plastic bins.
View Quote

Personally I'd be very weary of using any factory ammo that doesn't come in their original factory boxes. No boxes means no Lot numbers. If you have some bad ammo there's absolutely no way of knowing if the rest of the ammo came from the same Lot. At that point all ammo would be suspect.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 11:50:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Personally I'd be very weary of using any factory ammo that doesn't come in their original factory boxes. No boxes means no Lot numbers. If you have some bad ammo there's absolutely no way of knowing if the rest of the ammo came from the same Lot. At that point all ammo would be suspect.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And that is the only reason I don't store ammo in this way. Now if I had a couple thousand rounds of one caliber, same manufacturer, all with the same lot... then I don't see anything wrong with that. I'd just cut the lot number off a box and clear tape it to the inside of the lid in case there was a problem. I'd throw a couple packs of desiccant and lock it away!
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 8:31:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
GTG but there are stories of throwing ammo while reloading into a ammo can and setting a round off
View Quote

Never heard this . On factory loaded ammo I will tear off the end flaps with the lot numbers and throw them in the can in case of a recall.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 9:36:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree on tracking lot numbers.  This ammo was sold in bulk as overstock.  I'm slightly surprised there was no lot # information, but considering the deal I received Fed HST for just a few cents more per round than Win White Box plinking ammo, I'm not going to complain.  

Thanks for the responses.  I'm going to repack this weekend, which will condense the ammo down into one .30 cal can, giving me a spare can for something else.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 6:33:04 AM EDT
[#11]
I keep all my rifle and handgun ammo in ammo cans, with a pack of desi just to be on the safe side. A lot of my ammo is reloads, so I don't have to worry about the lot info. But I also keep factory stuff in cans because it helps better organize and takes up much less space.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:33:13 PM EDT
[#12]
An easy fix to the factory ammo lot issue is to just have a separate zip-lock bag for each lot. Since I reload all my ammo, this is a non issue for me.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:45:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Use .223 cans.
A .50 can of unboxed .45 ACP gets painfully heavy.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:37:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Use .223 cans.
View Quote

I have some .50 can's each filled with 2k of unboxed 147gr 9mm.  They don't leave the garage though, they get slowly moved to .30 cal cans for the range.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:21:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I have some .50 can's each filled with 2k of unboxed 147gr 9mm.  They don't leave the garage though, they get slowly moved to .30 cal cans for the range.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Use .223 cans.

That's similar to what I do. I keep the factory ammo boxed, and use the loose ammo from my .223 cans until empty. Then refill the can from the factory boxes as needed.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:55:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Add desiccant and a copy of the receipt... especially if that is all you have.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:06:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Add some desiccant (fir peace of mind) and you're good to go.

Cheers!
-JC
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:10:12 PM EDT
[#18]
No issues, other than heavier cans.  No need for ziplocs either. A 50 cal can of 1700 .40 rounds is heavy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top