Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2016 1:00:47 AM EDT
Federal 9mm Luger 147 Grain HST

Federal’s Premium Law Enforcement Ammunition line-up currently includes four different 9mm Luger loads that utilize 0.355” versions of their hollow-point HST bullet.  As the title of this article states, the standard pressure 147grain load (P9HST2) will be the focus of this article.

All versions of the 9mm Luger HST ammunition are loaded in nickel-plated, brass cases.  The case-head for the P9HST2 is stamped “F C  9MM LUGER”.  This version is loaded to a cartridge nominal OAL of 1.125”.  The primers are sealed, but are not crimped in place.  The case mouths are also sealed.  The round is charged with a “flake” powder.

[SIZE=2](The individual squares in the red grid below measure one-tenth of an inch.)[/SIZE]

The 147 grain HST projectile has a nominal length of 0.680”.  The bullet has a deep cannelure and six skives in the copper jakcet.  The skives on the 9mm HST projectiles are the longest of any of the 9mm Luger law enforcement loads that I’ve evaluated to date.

The 9mm HST projectiles have a very unique construction, in that the lead-core directly beneath the skives has a crown-shaped cut-out.

Federal’s literature claims that the 9mm Luger 147 grain HST load has a muzzle velocity of 1000 FPS.  When chronographed from my Gen 2 Glock 19 (with the factory original barrel) over an Oehler 35P chronograph, the P9HST2 load had a muzzle velocity of 1018 FPS with a standard deviation of 11 FPS!

Dr. GK Roberts has stated that the 9mm 147 grain HST rounds “are among the finest 9 mm duty loads currently available.”  Terminal ballistic testing in 10% ordnance gelatin conducted by the good doctor produced the following results . . .

I evaluated the accuracy of the P9HST2 load from a distance of 25 yards using two different platforms; my Gen 2 Glock 19 and a Colt 6450 with a free-floated Noveske barrel.

When using hand-loads topped with the Hornady 125 grain HAP bullet, my Noveske barreled Colt 6450 has turned in 10-shot groups at 25 yards that have extreme spreads of less than a half-inch.

A 10-shot group of the P9HST2 ammunition fired from the Noveske barreled 6450 at 25 yards had an extreme spread of 0.83”.

Firing from the bench at a distance of 25 yards, my Gen 2 Glock 19 (with the factory original barrel) produced a 10-shot group with an extreme spread of 2.05”.

…..
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 1:32:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the write up.

The 147 HST has been my carry load for years.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 4:31:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Any plans on reviewing the 147 +p variant of this ammo?
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 6:49:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Thank you, Molon.  I just did chrono testing with a very inexpensive chronograph and it is good to see your numbers.  My numbers were pretty similar considering the different barrel lengths and the cheap chrono I used, but this really shows the high quality of this ammo.  I have standardized this round in my Shield and QC10 SBR, and this test reinforces that decision.  Hopefully we civilians will have access to this ammo in the coming years.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 8:37:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I always look forward to reading your posts.

Thank you for your time.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 9:12:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Excellent and informative post as always. Thank you.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 9:55:56 AM EDT
[#6]
thanks
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 10:01:14 AM EDT
[#7]

Thank you for posting this and I intend to get some of this when I can find it to replace the Speer Gold Dot 147 grain loads I currently use.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 10:22:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the Write up.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 1:39:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 2:04:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

To be posted in the near future.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 4:26:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I just ordered a couple hundred rounds of the +p variant. Cant wait to see the velocity out of the g19.

Link Posted: 1/9/2016 8:45:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I've been using this same load in my carry 9s for several years great round.  Though my normal edc is a Nighthawk 45 & it's stoked with HSTs too.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 9:04:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Great! I look forward to reading about it. Glad to see you posting here again!
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 1:05:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I just ordered a couple hundred rounds of the +p variant. Cant wait to see the velocity out of the g19.

View Quote

The advertised muzzle velocity of the +P variant is 1050 FPS.  I chronographed three different lots of the +P variant from the Glock 19.  The average muzzle velocity was 1029 FPS.

Link Posted: 1/28/2016 8:49:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Anyone tested the Federal XM9HA that was available awhile back ?
Supposedly +P+ ?
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 10:02:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Supposedly +P+ ?

View Quote

Internet Commando nonsense.    I chronographed two different lots of the XM9HA from my Glock 19.  The average muzzle velocity was 1015 FPS.

Link Posted: 1/29/2016 12:39:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the write up.
Been carrying this for a while.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 6:42:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the info, at that speed it
must be similar to the P9HST2.
Internet commando network was guessing it was
some Govt contract overruns.
Looks just like P9HST2.

Quoted:

Internet Commando nonsense.    I chronographed two different lots of the XM9HA from my Glock 19.  The average muzzle velocity was 1015 FPS.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Supposedly +P+ ?

Link Posted: 1/30/2016 6:47:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Internet commando network was guessing it was
some Govt contract overruns.

View Quote

Mama always said, "Federal XM ammunition is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."

Link Posted: 1/31/2016 1:58:05 PM EDT
[#20]

How do you fire for groups with the G19?  Do you use a sandbag or something like a Ransom handgun rest?

Link Posted: 1/31/2016 2:17:13 PM EDT
[#21]
HST bullets are terrible and no one should ever but then again.

Federal says you should carry their personal defense rounds at Wal-Mart. These are only for LEO.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 5:35:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

How do you fire for groups with the G19?  Do you use a sandbag or something like a Ransom handgun rest?

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:10:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Thanks for the info . . .

View Quote

The Internet Commandos were also saying that the powder used in XM9HA was VihatVuori 3N38.  Here's a pic of VV 3N38 . . .

Here's a pic of the powder used in XM9HA . . .

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 8:41:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Interesting.....thanks for the additional investigating .
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 9:47:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for the as always great work.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:09:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Did you capture the velocity out of the rifle?

Thanks for all the awesome tests & write ups!
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 2:29:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Why is it so hard to find 147 +P !!!
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 10:14:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Did you capture the velocity out of the rifle?

View Quote

Not for the HST, but the table below will given you a basic idea of what to expect.

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:43:35 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote

it's not.  for the last 6 months or so, that's been the easiest 9mm HST to find

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 11:09:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Surprising because no one online has it in stock. The one place that did only sells in bulk which i do not want. Most of my LGS have everything but that. Gun shows ive been to have everything as well but that. However today i did see SG ammo had 100 round packs so i grabbed one.

EDIT: Theres even a thread right below this one thats titled "Where the hell is all the 147 HST?" lol
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 12:05:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank You !
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 12:17:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

IMHO... don't expect a huge increase in velocity from the +P version.

+P "seems" to be used more for "more aggressive" function then "increased" bullet performance in "modern" SD handgun ammo. ( Just my 2 cents )

The 147gr Standard HST performs best... adding velocity will probably result in slightly less penetration from the 147gr HST bullet. The 147gr HST was has a specific expansion velocity as designed.

Older HP designs sometimes needed the velocity boost to perform reliably through various test media... Denim, thick jackets etc.

Would I feel undergunned with a +P 147gr HST ?..... not really.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 1:10:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The advertised muzzle velocity of the +P variant is 1050 FPS.  I chronographed three different lots of the +P variant from the Glock 19.  The average muzzle velocity was 1029 FPS.

Link Posted: 2/16/2016 2:09:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Cheers for your very informative posts.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 2:33:21 AM EDT
[#35]
How does it compare with the 124 gr version?
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 5:58:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

How does it compare with the 124 gr version?

View Quote

124 grain +P HST

Link Posted: 2/24/2016 9:12:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Not to derail the post, but have you done any comparisons of the HST 147gr and Gold Dot 147?

Just got a Kahr PM9 and am moving away from the .40 Gold Dot which has always been my go to round.
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 1:32:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Not to derail the post, but have you done any comparisons of the HST 147gr and Gold Dot 147?

View Quote

Chronographed from a SIG Sauer P229, the original 147 grain Gold Dot had a muzzle velocity of 952 FPS with a standard deviation of 21 FPS.  A 10-shot group fired from a distance of 25 yards had an extreme spread of 0.97".

Link Posted: 3/21/2016 7:57:15 AM EDT
[#39]
Thank you Molon
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 9:16:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

+P "seems" to be used more for "more aggressive" function then "increased" bullet performance in "modern" SD handgun ammo. ( Just my 2 cents )

The 147gr Standard HST performs best... adding velocity will probably result in slightly less penetration from the 147gr HST bullet. The 147gr HST was has a specific expansion velocity as designed.

Older HP designs sometimes needed the velocity boost to perform reliably through various test media... Denim, thick jackets etc.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know, i just bought it because it was the first time id seen 147 grain hst for ever. I wasn't to concerned about it being +p.

Thank you Molon for posting your chronographs results
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 9:20:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

So its pretty much identical to the standard pressure load. Glad the price is usually about the same.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 10:02:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

So its pretty much identical to the standard pressure load. Glad the price is usually about the same.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Weird, isn't it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top