Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2015 7:53:10 PM EDT
Was just wanting some opinions from those that know more about ammunition condition and safety than me.

Just received an ammo order from Cabela's.  Condition of the boxes is as shown in the picture.  The boxes appear to be water damaged and they smell of mildew.  The box they were shipped in was fine so didn't happen during transit.  That and in some cases boxes are taped back together.  Per their 'no ammo returns' policy, they won't take it back regardless of the condition of what they sent.  So, if the ammo is still bright and shiny, would you shoot it or is water damage to ammo too much of a potential and does that cause some risk other than misfires?  I'm worried about moisture seeping in and causing something like a squib load.  Then again, if the ammo looks to be in good shape and since I know little of how well factory ammo is sealed, maybe I'm overreacting and should just go enjoy it at the range.

Link Posted: 9/11/2015 12:33:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd still be on the phone with Cabelas, Corporate Legal if need be. You received it that way, potentially unsafe product
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 1:16:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd still be on the phone with Cabelas, Corporate Legal if need be. You received it that way, potentially unsafe product
View Quote

You are certainly right smash.. and I sent them an email asking if it was safe.  They didn't respond to the email and the only answer you get from their version of customer service is that ammo can't be returned.  They did say I could take it to the local police, have it destroyed, and get a certificate that it's been destroyed to fax them for a refund.  However, when I called the local Sheriff office they had never heard of such a thing.

Some of this stuff I certainly wouldn't try to fire..

Link Posted: 9/11/2015 9:29:48 PM EDT
[#3]
You payed good money and have a legit complaint there, I would be raising hell on the phone...
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 11:30:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I would not be happy if I received ammo in that condition!!!!
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 12:34:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I appreciate the responses and certainly am not happy with this transaction.  While they finally responded to an email with pictures of the ammo saying that it is, indeed, not safe to shoot it (hope someone comes down on the idiot that shipped it) they insist on finding some police organization to destroy it.  I don't mind doing that but where I live, there aren't law enforcement organizations all over the place.  We'll see.  This may end up with a credit card challenge and a BBB report.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 12:37:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, that's not acceptable.  If they don't want to take the ammo back, fine.  But you should still get your money back.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 11:23:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 7:13:08 PM EDT
[#8]
You could also try to contact the ammo makers...Send them pics of the condition of the ammo & explain the situation. they may accept the return & give you new ammo. But likely you'd be on the hook for shipping.
I've ordered lots of ammo from Cabela's, never seen that before.  

BTW what did the box look like they came in? Was it like really new looking? UPS & Fedex sometimes will damage a shipment & empty the contents out into a new box & transfer over the labels. THEY could have damaged it & then tried to cover it up in a new shipping box.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 11:24:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You could also try to contact the ammo makers...Send them pics of the condition of the ammo & explain the situation.
View Quote

Herters is Cabela's house brand.  They bought out the Herters outdoors company in the 1980's.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 5:30:47 PM EDT
[#10]
It seems the consensus is that ammo in water damaged boxes is not safe to shoot.  Kind of intuitive but didn't know for sure.

The shipping box was in good shape.  This didn't happen during shipping.  Also note that some of the boxes were taped together.  

Sometimes you get some idiots packing boxes with things that should be thrown away.  That or taking ammo out of the trash bin to ship and putting good ammo in their pockets.  Cabela's has a training and process problem and obviously I won't be buying ammo from them again.

As for resolutions.. that remains to be seen but I will try to let Cabela's make it right before resorting to more draconian measures.  I just think their single remedy of 'take it to the police dept and get a letter of destruction' is kind of ridiculous.  The customer should not have to resolve their negligence nor do I believe many law enforcement organizations do this.  I believe it's just a wall they throw up so they don't have to deal with ammo returns or refunds.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 6:09:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Final resolution:  After several phone calls I found someone in the nearest large city to take the ammo in for destruction and write me a receipt to fax to Cabela's.  Received a refund on the order but only after way too much hassle.  Hope they track down what's broken in their system.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 10:25:40 AM EDT
[#12]
I hope you get a full refund. Shipping as well.
But the way that looked! They should of also given you
a $50.00 gift card to make things right!
Keep the hive posted. If this is not cleared up right.
I for one will look at Cabela's in a different light!!!

PITA45

PS: Hold on to any pictures you have!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top