Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2015 2:50:52 PM EDT
Greetings y'all.  Bought my wife a purse gun; Smith & Wesson 442 (hamerless .38 revolver).

Wondering what the consensus if for a best self defense round I can put in it.  I'm putting together an order for some range ammo for practice but want to put the good stuff in it when it's actually carried.

Link Posted: 7/20/2015 2:57:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:  Greetings y'all.  Bought my wife a purse gun; Smith & Wesson 442 (hamerless .38 revolver).

Wondering what the consensus if for a best self defense round I can put in it.  I'm putting together an order for some range ammo for practice but want to put the good stuff in it when it's actually carried.
View Quote

Whatever she can handle in recoil.  There's a Hornady powder puff round if she's recoil intolerant.  What has she shot before, and how long has it been since she last shot?
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 5:01:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Whatever she can handle in recoil.  There's a Hornady powder puff round if she's recoil intolerant.  What has she shot before, and how long has it been since she last shot?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Greetings y'all.  Bought my wife a purse gun; Smith & Wesson 442 (hamerless .38 revolver).

I agree: With how long has she been shooting? That is importune!
How much practice will she do?
For practice or carry 148gr 38spl WC.Guns&Ammo
This should do her well. Unless she is shooting at car doors!
That gun is for close range mostly.
And it is damn light 15oz empty.
If she is not a novas, and you can fine them Nyclade 38spl
IMHP,would be a good chose too!
Not a lot of flip, But you can feel it in your rist a little!!!
Let the hive know how she does on the range!

PITA45

EDIT: FYI  Luckygunner   I have never did business with them.
But if your interested they have 38spl 148gr WCs
Just under $0.38 around.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 5:58:20 PM EDT
[#3]
She needs to practice (muscle memory n'all) but she can place 4"+ groups at 10-15 feet.

So a Wad Cutter is a best defensive round?

We used to have some expensive red plastic tipped rounds in it that were supposed to have have great expansion at impact.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 6:09:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I am partial to Winchester Silver-Tip ammo in a revolver.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 6:09:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 6:16:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I carry Hornady XTP 158 gr HP and Critical Defense 110 gr HP, I also believe Gold Dots and PDX One are fine rounds.

Link Posted: 7/20/2015 6:28:13 PM EDT
[#7]
http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/38%20Special%20158gr%20LSWCHP.htm

http://www.chuckhawks.com/ammo_by_anonymous.htm

.38 Special +P 158 grain lead semi-wadcutter hollowpoint (LSWCHP) available from Federal, Winchester

Link Posted: 7/20/2015 7:12:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I carry SPEER 135gr Short-Barrel

http://www.sgammo.com/product/38-special/50-round-box-38-special-p-speer-gold-dot-135-grain-hollow-point-ammo-53921

Snubbies take some practice to shoot well.

this is were handloading can really help

start her off with some really mild loads, and work up until she can shoot something more designed for CCW

Link Posted: 7/20/2015 7:22:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

http://www.sgammo.com/product/38-special/50-round-box-38-special-p-speer-gold-dot-135-grain-hollow-point-ammo-53921

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/493/493508.jpg

start her off with some really mild loads, and work up until she can shoot something more designed for CCW

View Quote

Will probably go with this.  Will any 135gr ball round be comparable to what this will feel like?  I don't want to burn this up at the range @ near .50c/rd
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 7:51:57 PM EDT
[#10]
One more vote for the SPEER 135gr Short-Barrel Gold Dot...

Link Posted: 7/20/2015 9:28:44 PM EDT
[#11]
No, there is a perceptible difference in the +p Gold Dots and the 130gr fmj. I might suggest wad cutters until she gets used to shooting it. J-Frame triggers can be challenging, and teaching her fundamentals is more important than managing recoil. I'm partial to 110gr DPX +p, good penetration, light recoil, expands. However I would not feel under gunned with wadcutters.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 11:34:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:  I carry SPEER 135gr Short-Barrel

View Quote

I would NOT run +P in a 15 oz revolver unless your wife can clearly hit w/ it & is comfortable w/ it.  

May I suggest your wife's next purse gun, OP?  A full size CZ 75 or 1911 in 9x19mm.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 2:49:26 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't think  a semi auto with gadgets and levers it what I want my wife to have in a SHTF moment.

Hammerless revolver is what she is comfortable with.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 5:39:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Speer 135 grn hollowpoint

Made just for the short barrel revolver.

http://www.speer-ammo.com/products/short_brl.aspx

http://www.speer-ammo.com/ballistics/detail.aspx?loadNo=23921
View Quote

X100
What I carry solely in my 442.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 7:18:02 AM EDT
[#15]
The Speer Gold Dot short barrel is the only one recommended in the Ammo FAQ.

For training, just use cheap ball ammo.

My wife has never shot the Speer in practice, but I keep her J-frame loaded with it.  If she were to ever have to use it, with all the adrenaline etc, she would not be able to tell a difference.  Practice with +P loads would waste money, and possibly make her more recoil sensitive and less likely to want to carry.

Similarly, I don't train with "hot" carry loads (HST in all my carry guns) and if I ever have to use one to defend myself/family I feel confident that a slight increase in recoil or slight change in POI will have absolutely no effect on the outcome and would be completely unnoticed by me.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 12:58:24 PM EDT
[#16]
I have 442 and I carry the Remington 158 grn LSWCHP 38+p.  A little stout but a devastating round.

I really like the Gold Dot and Hornady Critical Defense lines, especially those designed for short barrels but they can be sometime hard to get.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 1:43:09 PM EDT
[#17]
My wife carries a similar Ruger LCR 38 Special (+P).  She had a hell of a time with it getting proficient with its double action trigger and strong pull weight and the harsh recoil.  We bought the Fiocchi 148 gr. Wadcutter ammo (38LA) that was very soft shooting to get better trigger control before going on to some harder shooting ammo.  This really worked out well.  She became very good with the LCR and even chased away the "flinch demon".  I never got very good with it, which delights her to no end.  To me, that gun is no joy to shoot, but she always relishes a challenge. She carries the Gold Dot Short Barrel 135 grain +P ammo (23921) which is what experts recommend for the 38 special "snubbies".  This ammo has some pretty stout recoil.  She handles it well, but had to shoot it a lot to get her follow up shot times down.  Now her confidence is high that she can handle this ammo.  It took months of frequent practice, and sore hand treatments.  She shoots lights out now, though.

I cannot find this Fiocchi wadcutter ammo anywhere now, or I would provide you a link.  Sorry.  This was the primary factor for how she got so good at shooting that gun.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 5:13:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The Speer Gold Dot short barrel is the only one recommended in the Ammo FAQ.

For training, just use cheap ball ammo.

My wife has never shot the Speer in practice, but I keep her J-frame loaded with it.  If she were to ever have to use it, with all the adrenaline etc, she would not be able to tell a difference.  Practice with +P loads would waste money, and possibly make her more recoil sensitive and less likely to want to carry.

Similarly, I don't train with "hot" carry loads (HST in all my carry guns) and if I ever have to use one to defend myself/family I feel confident that a slight increase in recoil or slight change in POI will have absolutely no effect on the outcome and would be completely unnoticed by me.
View Quote

Corbon DPX with the Barnes bullet is also recommended
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 3:11:35 AM EDT
[#19]
I find Winchester white box 130gr fmj to be one of the lighest recoiling rounds in my revolvers. U can get it at WM. My S&W mod10 is loaded with Speer GD 135gr, however.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 1:49:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Many people hit the nail on the head here.

The Speer 135gr GDHP-SB is ideal for a short barreled gun.
The Cor-Bon 110gr DPX is also a very highly regarded round in a short barreled revolver.

The tried and true, Buffalo Bore 158gr LSWCHP is also a decent choice, although it may have been eclipsed by the above loads.

Start with lower power rounds, and carry defensive loads.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 2:24:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Buffalo Bore makes a standard pressure low flash JHP in 38 Special... I would look into that!
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 4:29:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Maybe one day Federal will release a good HST load in 38spl. Maybe in a 135-150gr load.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 8:05:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Was just about toast this same stuff.

Golden Sabre isn't bad, either, but Speer GDs are excellent.  Excellent!!
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 9:18:31 PM EDT
[#24]
It's all the same.   Either you hit the vitals or you don't.

Get 158 grain LSWC.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 6:30:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Get 158 grain LSWC.
View Quote

Nope, that was hightech in the 1960's but ammunition has vastly improved since then. Penetration, tissue damage, etc greatly advanced in the last few decades. Since Mr. Murphy always has a say in what goes on, I like to help influence the process by using the best proven ammo available.

Even so, you are completely correct about shot placement being important.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 7:54:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Get 158 grain LSWC.
View Quote

I shot a deer once with a 158SWC, .357mag, max load of H-110, out of a 6" 586

I was not impressed
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 10:55:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I was not impressed
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get 158 grain LSWC.

I was not impressed

I don't know if Elmer Keith intended the 358429 bullet to be for larger game. I know he used the 429421 and 454424 for a lot of bigger game.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 2:41:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Get her some Federal Premium 38 Special +P 129 GR.Hydra-Shok Jacketed Hollow Points and she will be GTG!!!!
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 2:42:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Oooooops
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 9:40:35 PM EDT
[#30]
I carry the GD 135 gr +p in my LCR.  It's hot!  Most likely in a SD scenario it's not going to be noticeable with the adrenaline going.    I can get rounds on a man sized target at 5 yards.  If she can do 4" groups than she shouldn't have a problem with it.   I just practice with whatever is cheapest.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 10:52:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Anyone use Hornady Critical Defense .38 Special +P ?
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 8:47:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
One more vote for the SPEER 135gr Short-Barrel Gold Dot...

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/6/2015 11:02:59 AM EDT
[#33]
arf defensive ammo guide

.38spl/.357mag

Speer Gold Dot 135gr +P (53921), specially designed for snubnose guns....Corbon 110 gr JHP DPX
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/6/2015 4:29:23 PM EDT
[#34]
There are a lot of good proven 38spec loads out there.

The old Treasury Load/Chicago Load of the 158gn LSWCHP has a proven track record.

If you can find them the Federal Nyclad 38 Special hollow points are standard pressure rounds that are proven performers that are soft shooters. Federal still makes them but they only do a lot every so often and they sell out quick.

As others have stated the Speer Short Barrel 135gn +P Gold dot is a good round but with a little more recoil.

To my hands it always seems that the non jacketed lead rounds seem to recoil a bit less, not sure why.  

Also, consider a lighter trigger rebound spring. I've put one in my 442 and it is still 100% reliable with a much better DA pull. It's about equal now to my old bone stock model 36-0.  I think over the years Smith has lawyer proofed these guns and stiffened up the triggers needlessly. Just make sure you test it extensively before carrying it.  The lighter spring helps with the recoil too.

And finally...if she can't handle the recoil of any of the above loads, just have her carry wadcutters.  Yes it's not the ideal but it's better than not carrying, or having a gun she can't handle or is afraid to shoot.  Even still it's probably going to be better than a .380 where oft times there is not enough velocity to expand a JHP anyway.

Link Posted: 8/8/2015 6:47:26 PM EDT
[#35]
As others have said, the Speer 135 gr Gold Dot is the best in the hundred or so test I have seen. The 125gr Speer Gold Dot and some of the 158 gr LSWCHP do come pretty close. Unfortunately, most others fail to expand including the Hornady's. Some ofthe boutique ammo companies like Underwood may be acceptible but I feel you may be getting into heavier recoil loads. Both the Speer loads that I have shot are pretty soft. The various Federal loads, that dont test well anyway, have been pretty stout.

Edit: The all copper Barnes bullets do well, but I can't remember which companies load with them in 38 spl. In the LSWCHP loads, the Remington normally out performs the Federal because of the softer lead.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top