Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2015 3:34:01 PM EDT
Title says it all.

I know bench rest shooters have coronarys over that type of jacket, but our handguns come no where close to the velocity/pressure of center fire rifles.

Is there any real data on this?

I know many of the European manufacturers, some of them very well respected, manufacture the stuff, and I have shot some small amounts of it in the past, seemingly without issue.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 4:10:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Would the US military have used them for machine guns if they were hard on bores?

Not that mgs are known for their accuracy, but I think that this answers your question.

There have even been iron jackets used at one time.

Link Posted: 6/14/2015 1:44:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Would the US military have used them for machine guns if they were hard on bores?

Not that mgs are known for their accuracy, but I think that this answers your question.

There have even been iron jackets used at one time.

View Quote

NO
They military would use it because the amount of ammunition fired costs more than the barrel they're replacing.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 2:23:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Check out Lucky Gunners steel-cased, bi-metallic ammo test.

Yea, they're "harder" on the barrel, but more economical in the long run.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 3:30:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

That particular ammunition was harder on the barrels.

I personally think the powder did it in.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 6:59:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Pistol rounds are way lower pressure than a 5.56. Non-issue in a pistol.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 8:16:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 10:26:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Probably not much worse than the 3,000 F to 4,000 F reactive gas behind the bullet
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 11:41:18 AM EDT
[#8]
I get so sick of the lucky gunner steel ammo test reference.
Who the hell shoots like 8k steel rounds without cleaning their rifle.
It's simple laws of physics. The steel in your barrell is a hell of a lot harder than the jacket of a tula round.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 12:38:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, it's about some RWS bi-metal jacketed 124gr. 9mm that I have stashed away.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 1:54:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It's simple laws of physics. The steel in your barrell is a hell of a lot harder than the jacket of a tula round.
View Quote

weather it was cleaned or not has nothing to do with the wear rate
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 1:58:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed, but those steel round stoppages were because of built up carbon.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 2:04:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 2:35:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Unless you plan on full auto dumping thousands of rounds in a single session, you will not notice the difference.  Shoot whatever you want.  If you wear out a pistol barrel, congratulate yourself at having the time and money to do so.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 8:04:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Couldn't agree more. Most of us actually try to take care of our gear. This blatant neglect of good rifles probably isnt too relevant to how I use/treat my rifles. My rifles will never go 1k rounds without cleaning.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 8:21:40 AM EDT
[#15]
I don't shoot copper washed, steel jacketed, lead core bi-metal bullets in my high precision pistols because it will reduce their accuracy.

http://www.uspsa.org/front-sight-magazine-article.php?Should-I-Buy-BiMetal-Ammo-8
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 8:33:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Unless you plan on full auto dumping thousands of rounds in a single session, you will not notice the difference.  Shoot whatever you want.  If you wear out a pistol barrel, congratulate yourself at having the time and money to do so.
View Quote

Depends on one's definition of "wearing out a barrel".

Precision shooters, both rifle and pistol, will notice the difference; whereas people who "blast away" may not.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 10:23:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Possibly, but it seems cheap bullets loaded with cheap powder go hand-in-hand.

Lucky Gunner's test may have been slightly misleading, because most of the rounds fired were fired through very hot barrels.  It may be that the wear rate would have been slower had they shot at a more normal rate of fire most of us would have.  

My opinion - Russia needs to cut their ammo prices to make it worth it.  When you can buy copper jacketed Wolf gold for 30 cents a shot, why on Earth would you pay 27 cents a shot for steel jacketed crap powder steel cased ammo?   At 20 cents a shot, I'd start thinking about it.  But for 3 cents savings?  I think the Lucky Gunner cost analysis is way off for 2015.  The savings isn't there, forget steel ammo.  As to people thinking soft steel is just as soft as copper - yea.. you can't borrow any of my stuff.

Link Posted: 6/24/2015 11:07:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Lucky Gunner's test may have been slightly misleading, because most of the rounds fired were fired through very hot barrels.  It may be that the wear rate would have been slower had they shot at a more normal rate of fire most of us would have.  

My opinion - Russia needs to cut their ammo prices to make it worth it.  When you can buy copper jacketed Wolf gold for 30 cents a shot, why on Earth would you pay 27 cents a shot for steel jacketed crap powder steel cased ammo?   At 20 cents a shot, I'd start thinking about it.  But for 3 cents savings?  I think the Lucky Gunner cost analysis is way off for 2015.  The savings isn't there, forget steel ammo.  As to people thinking soft steel is just as soft as copper - yea.. you can't borrow any of my stuff.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can still save money on rifle rounds, but agreed not as much as in the Lucky Gunner article.  Difference of about 5-8 cpr.  For 9mm, the difference is only a few cents per shot as you posted.

I shoot all copper jacketed except AK ammo now, but for slightly different reasons - I shoot other non-AR rifles more.  The barrel replacement cost is more like $800 in those guns.  I've also noticed a substantial accuracy difference as well.

For a few cents per round difference on 9mm, I noticed my groups are half the size.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 11:12:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top