Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2015 12:27:40 AM EDT
i am an avid reloader and cast my own bullets. ive often wondered why they dont make a round nose mold like you see with most other calibers? 45 lc has them. 38/357 too. and more. ive thought about contacting a mold company and requesting it. and to be honest, theres only a few reasons i want rn. easier to load into my leather gunbelt, and easier to load in the cylinders. and i guess its more visually appealing too. a 45lc round looks just cool hanging in a leather gunbelt.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 12:35:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Have you considered having a custom mold made and cast your own?
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 3:01:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm sure someone makes a round nose mold intended for the .44 special.

The reason nobody makes a round nose .44 magnum bullet is because it is a lousy bullet design.  I large flat meplat is much better in terms of damaging tissue.  The LRN designs for cartridges that are over 100 years old are simply left over from when nobody knew as much as we do now about actual terminal effectiveness.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:11:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Lee, Lyman, Magma etc all make RN bullet molds for the 44.  Do a search for their charts.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:11:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Ive searched & havent found anything. As far as not as good, well,
I dont think anyone would be willing to see if one hurts more than the other. I dont plan on using them as defense rounds unless needed. & would have faith fheyd do the job. 45acp ones do just fine.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:36:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ive searched & havent found anything. As far as not as good, well,
View Quote

How hard did you look?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/373417/lee-2-cavity-bullet-mold-429-240-2r-44-special-44-remington-magnum-44-40-wcf-429-diameter-240-grain-2-ogive-radius?cm_vc=ProductFinding
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 12:12:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Apparantly not all that good lol! I honestly did search thoigh. Thanks for that.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 12:57:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I like the Lee 200 grain rnfp bullet.  A flat nose design is a lot better than a round nose in my opinion.  They match the period of the 44-40, too.

If you want something that isn't made, I'd recommend getting something from Accurate Mold's catalog or have him draw up a new design to your specifications.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 10:27:12 PM EDT
[#8]
That mold he helped me find will work just fine. I just want them for plinking & looks in the belt. Ive got a flat nose for regular shootin or huntin.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top