Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2015 12:33:11 AM EDT
Video link for phones

Underwood 115 gr Lehigh Extreme Penetrator solid copper projectile fired from Glock 22 with Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel into calibrated 10% gelatin.

BB: 585.3 fps, 3.3"

Impact velocity: 1,289 fps
Penetration: ~30" of gelatin & 2.5 feet
of water
Retained weight: 115.0 gr

No expansion.

For comparison, we took a look at some cheap 9mm ball. The cheapest I could find was S&B 115 gr FMJ. It was almost exactly 100 fps slower and penetrated quite a bit less. I expected lower velocity and less penetration but not to that degree. It was also surprising to see that plain, vanilla FMJ produced more tissue disruption than the vaunted Extreme Penetrator.

On my way out to test, I looked at my phone and saw that tnoutdoors9 had posted a video testing the very thing I was about to do. I was not thrilled, especially since he does such great work. It turns out that my test was a little different than his anyway. Take a look at his test too, if you have time.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 1:19:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice.

I'd be interested to see this tested vs IIIa soft armor
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 5:55:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Velocity is too low to get through. I'm confident IIA will stop it, but I'll test it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 12:09:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Looks like the XP may be a bit too "extreme" in 9mm especially when loaded at Underwood's high velocity levels.  This is the first time I've seen a relatively small permanent wound cavity.  I was at Lehigh Defense (as a guest visitor) last Thursday and witnessed perfect penetration 17" as well as 1" to 1.25" cavitation that extended through the entire block with a 380acp.  The 45acp +p had a bit more penetration but the permanent wound channel was over 2" and again consistent through the gel block.  It looked like it was shot with a hollow point that "remained fully expanded" for 12" of travel.

OTOH, 9mm is a round that usually penetrates rather well.  The XP is taking it to the next level if that is required from the user.  I would think that the controlled fracturing rounds and the extreme expansion rounds would display greatly different characteristics and may be a better choice for self defense duties in 9mm.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:34:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Interesting. The lack of "cavitation" seems to differ from all the other tests/videos.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:41:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't believe that "cavitation" that some folks have been teaching about is as dramatic as they make it seem and I don't believe that it contributes in any substantive way to wounding.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top