Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2015 8:58:42 PM EDT

Local walmart got Federal 9mm aluminum for $9,97/50rd and Perfecta 9mm brass for $10,97/50rd.  Beside being able to reload brass is there any other advantage to brass over aluminum?  Which brand will you buy up?  Thank.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 9:21:06 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Local walmart got Federal 9mm aluminum for $9,97/50rd and Perfecta 9mm brass for $10,97/50rd.  Beside being able to reload brass is there any other advantage to brass over aluminum?  Which brand will you buy up?  Thank.
View Quote
I reload and usually buy brass but the other day I bought a box of federal aluminum 45.  It was so hot, awesome for 14.99 too

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 10:44:54 PM EDT
[#2]
They have the 9 here but no .45acp. I'll have to check other stores in the area.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 11:21:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I have been cleaning out my wally-world of the 9mm Al cased ammo every time I happen by there.  For the price it is hard to beat, it feeds well, reasonably accurate ammo, and no issues with any of my 9mm handguns (they get a large diet of this stuff)
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 2:54:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I dont reload so i go whatever cheapest.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 4:40:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I started buying and shooting this stuff recently. No problems whatsoever and I like the price.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:39:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I reload and usually buy brass but the other day I bought a box of federal aluminum 45.  It was so hot, awesome for 14.99 too  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought the .45 stuff is loaded hot too. It felt just as hot as my +P HST's.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 8:58:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I will ONLY throw this out there as something to consider;

Aluminum Oxide, which forms on the surface of any Aluminum exposed to air, is a very effective abrasive.

I am not saying AL cases will damage your guns or that you should or shouldn't shoot it.

Discuss
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:53:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Aluminum Oxide, which forms on the surface of any Aluminum exposed to air, is a very effective abrasive.

I am not saying AL cases will damage your guns or that you should or shouldn't shoot it.

Discuss
View Quote

While this is true of Aluminium the question is are the cases pure Al or an alloy?
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:59:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Litter. Aluminum and steel cases are a mess because no one wants them. My local outdoor range is freaking graveled with steel and aluminum cases, but the brass cases have a tendency to disappear.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 1:17:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Because someone said you couldn't and I had to prove them wrong , I ended up, when all was said and done, reloading about 1000 pcs of Blazer Aluminum 45 ACP.  The newer stuff is Boxer primed with small pistol primers  It was a real light load for shooting in USPSA Production division with my XD-45 Tactical.  200gr Lead FPRN pushed by Titegroup going about 750fps.  Cases would not take a good crimp but as long as I seated the lead bullet deep enough that I could use the crimp groove it would work well.  I was using a bullet normally used in 45 Colt for Cowboy Action shooting.  Had to use a real fast powder like Titegroup.  Slower powders did not work as well due to the weak crimp.  I only reloaded them once.  I did a test of about 50 pieces reloading them till they split and most of them split after the second reload was fired or on pressing a bullet into them on the third attempt to reload them.  Probably wouldn't try it with full power 45 ACP loads. YMMV
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 8:28:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Discuss
View Quote

Hmmmmm....... I wonder if they are sealed with anything ? The case left at the range on the ground don't show sign of oxidizing. The next trip out I will save some freshly fired cases to set outside for a few weeks and look at them under a 20X Mantis.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:57:46 AM EDT
[#12]
I've used aluminum before and have never had an issue with it while doing some target practice. Never a FTF or an FTE. Only thing's I've noticed is with the Herter's branded ones that use nylon jacketing, they produce an acrid smell in an indoor range but don't gum up your barrel or anything. They also tend to run a little dirtier in the gun, but I've noticed that with Herter's before. That doesn't bother me though because I use a combination of Break Through Clean and FireClean and those products just remove any fouling in the gun like it's coated with teflon.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:01:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Hmmmmm....... I wonder if they are sealed with anything ? The case left at the range on the ground don't show sign of oxidizing. The next trip out I will save some freshly fired cases to set outside for a few weeks and look at them under a 20X Mantis.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Discuss

Aluminum oxide isn't like iron oxide (rust). Aluminum oxide is actually pretty strong stuff and doesn't fall away like rust, so anything made of aluminum will have a tough exterior layer of oxide.

I have no idea if the thing about scratching up chambers is true, but aluminum oxide is very commonly used as the abrasive on sandpaper.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:12:29 PM EDT
[#14]
IIRC the aluminum cases have a clear coating to prevent e oxidation..

1DD
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 7:54:53 PM EDT
[#15]
I got 6 reloads out of AL blazer cases. Shot out of a CZ75 and Suomi
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 8:56:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Over the years CCI has modified and changed the case design numerous times since introducing their alum cased ammo back in the earily 80's. The cases are not pure alum as it would be too soft. CCI used to load all their alum cased ammo with berdan primers to prevent them from being easily reloaded.

About 20 years ago I pulled apart a 9mm 147FMJ-BT round and was suprised to find it was boxer primed and had black bullet sealant. A collector friend of mine contacted his CCI Rep friend who was also suprised that this round was loaded with a boxer primer. Seems that CCI has decided to load some (if not all) of their alum cased ammo with boxer primers, probably to simplify and streamline the manufacturing process.

As for oxidation problems, I have quite a few of earily Blazer rounds in my collection and have seen absolutely zero problems. If oxidation was an actual problem I really doubt that companies like ATK would still be making medium and large caliber aluminum cased rounds for military use.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:13:13 AM EDT
[#17]
I had my first malfunction with the Al case ammo today out of 200 rounds.  Both times it felt like a lighter than usual recoiling round.  I am thinking it was just under powered round because it did it on my 34 19 and 17 and each time felt lighter than usual.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 4:13:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Been using the Federal Aluminum stuff for a while now. No issues out of my M&P9 FS and P226
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 8:36:45 AM EDT
[#19]
If only a dollar difference I would go brass. A local dealer will give me 2 cents each for empties if I do not decide to reload them making the price the same basically. In my area the price difference is bigger than a dollar. I shoot some lost brass matches every year and if I can find aluminum at a good price use it for those matches.
I guess I am old school ( old enough to remember the days before bargain grade plinking ammo existed in bulk) and find it downright crazy anyone who shoots more than fifty rounds a week does not reload! Every shooter I know reloads.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:41:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Beside being able to reload brass is there any other advantage to brass over aluminum?
View Quote

Most indoor ranges won't let you shoot aluminum cased ammo.  They sell the brass and get more money for it when there isn't a bunch of aluminum cases mixed in with it.  Functionally I haven't noticed a difference.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 1:17:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Discuss
View Quote

I consider this a feature, personally.  In a new gun, I WANT to fire 500 rounds of aluminum, to help smooth out the chamber if that aluminum oxide surface coating really is abrasive. It's like lapping the chamber.  I don't know if it actually does this, or if the whole abrasion thing is just internet BS, but I like the concept.  Once the chamber smooths out, the erosion rate's pretty much going to slow way down.  Other stuff is going to break and wear out before the chamber does - eventually.  Never heard of an actually worn out chamber from aluminum

Here's what I DON'T like about alumunim cases.  They don't age well.  They're fine for about 5 years or so.  But if you end up with aluminum pistol ammo for 10+ years, you'll see a "dusting" starting to show up on your bullet, right there at the rim of the casing.  For whatever reason, I guess dissimilar metal corrosion, this white dust will start showing up.  It doesn't overtly affect anything, but I suspect it's aluminum oxide, and unlike the chamber where the casing is relatively static or low velocity, I don't particularly like the thought of aluminum oxide coated bullets engaging my forcing cone and rifling at >1000 fps every shot.

But for short term use, I absolutely would save the $1 and buy aluminum.  It's performance is GtG and won't hurt anything.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 1:42:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't reload either but I get a few bucks for it at the gunshow as a trade in.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 11:59:21 AM EDT
[#23]
The cases are not pure alum as it would be too soft.
View Quote

T6 temper would be plenty tough.
Alloy does not prevent the formation of aluminum oxide.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 1:18:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Discuss
View Quote

Its quite easy to spot oxidized aluminum, if its white and powdery, its oxidized. That said its obvious this stuff is coated with something, Bare aluminum doesnt have a matte grey appearance...
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 7:58:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Its quite easy to spot oxidized aluminum, if its white and powdery, its oxidized. That said its obvious this stuff is coated with something, Bare aluminum doesnt have a matte grey appearance...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Discuss

Aluminum oxidizes just about instantly. Fresh cut aluminum is VERY reactive.

If there is white powder it has been oxidizing a LONG time.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 7:04:26 PM EDT
[#26]
My experience is that the aluminum cases work well in pistols, but not AR15 style blow back carbines.

They work in the blow back actions, but not reliably.

In my P226, yes, they work just fine.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 8:54:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Ive never had an issue with aluminum cased ammo. I havent used any for a while, but I wouldnt hesitate to use it again if it was on the shelf and cheaper than brass cased stuff.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 9:11:07 PM EDT
[#28]
My Walmart has 9, 40 and 45 in the aluminum but they also have the 100 rd value packs so I have been buying them instead.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 7:28:14 PM EDT
[#29]
planned on picking up 250 of the Federal Alloy .45acp at Wally tomorrow
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 12:31:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Commercially pure aluminum is incredibly corrosion resistant. Most all sheet metal is coated in pure aluminum to act as a corrosion shield. Most often aluminum corrodes galvanicly. The alloying elements that give it its great strength to weight ratio also speed its rate or oxidation, hence coating sheet metal in pure aluminum. Aluminum is used because when alloyed and tempered per pound it is stronger than steel, more corrosion resistant than steel, easier to work with, and also cheaper...
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 1:10:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Ive shot a bunch of the Blazer 9mm aluminum cased stuff over twenty years with no issues.
Just bought some federal aluminum cased 45 acp.  Havent tried it yet.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:54:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Both are GTG
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:18:03 PM EDT
[#33]
I've shot 1,000s of rounds of aluminum cased ammo and haven't had any problems, except in a 9mm AR like someone above mentioned. I don't know what it is but it just isn't reliable with aluminum cased ammo. I've been burning up the Federal aluminum cased ammo from Wal-Mart lately. I buy as much as I can when I can.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 2:33:12 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I've shot 1,000s of rounds of aluminum cased ammo and haven't had any problems, except in a 9mm AR like someone above mentioned. I don't know what it is but it just isn't reliable with aluminum cased ammo. I've been burning up the Federal aluminum cased ammo from Wal-Mart lately. I buy as much as I can when I can.
View Quote
+1 for the FED alum 45

all my 45s love it
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 6:27:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
+1 for the FED alum 45  

all my 45s love it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
+1 for the FED alum 45  

all my 45s love it

My 4506 eats it up. It feels like it shoots as hot as my +P HST's.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 8:32:04 AM EDT
[#36]
I shot some out of my wife's new G17 yesterday, function was flawless and accuracy was OK. Even if all the rounds were coated in oxide I doubt most of you could wear your chamber's out, as a matter of fact the whole thought is silly. More internet rumors. There are departments out there that have put millions of aluminum rounds down range with no issues. I know many of y'all think LE doesn't typically shoot much but I will tell you many of the weapons my agents carry have well over 10k rounds through them and some have 3x that. Lots of officers take firearms training very seriously and shoot off duty and compete to boot. So the whole oxide thing is pretty dumb and frankly even if it did wear them a bit more the money saved would exceed the cost of a new barrel, not that it would. One other thing, what about the agencies that use to use silvertip hollow points? Weren't they aluminum jacketed? you would think an oxidized bullet would wear out the bore faster than an oxidized case would wear a chamber.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 8:53:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
+1 for the FED alum 45  

all my 45s love it

I used to have a 4506, it was a police trade-in I bought back in '93. I kinda regret selling it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 9:10:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Litter. Aluminum and steel cases are a mess because no one wants them. My local outdoor range is freaking graveled with steel and aluminum cases, but the brass cases have a tendency to disappear.
View Quote

Time to go scrapping
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 3:49:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:23:33 PM EDT
[#40]
I have literally shot close to 10,000 rounds of the aluminum Blazer . I use it in my Uzi . It runs and runs and runs
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:28:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Commercially pure aluminum is incredibly corrosion resistant. Most all sheet metal is coated in pure aluminum to act as a corrosion shield. Most often aluminum corrodes galvanicly. The alloying elements that give it its great strength to weight ratio also speed its rate or oxidation, hence coating sheet metal in pure aluminum. Aluminum is used because when alloyed and tempered per pound it is stronger than steel, more corrosion resistant than steel, easier to work with, and also cheaper...
View Quote

You have no clue what you are talking about, doesn't seem to stop most people here
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 3:56:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

You have no clue what you are talking about, doesn't seem to stop most people here
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you.  Aluminum readily oxides with oxygen.  I don't know if it is possible to see pure aluminum.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 11:56:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Back in the day when you could get Blazer for 3.89 at academy it's all I shot.  And, I reload.   Never an issue.  If I knew then what I know now I would have bought cases upon cases.  

But these days id never buy it.  Way too expensive.  Straight walled brass lasts way longer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top