Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2015 7:50:39 AM EDT
9mm is offered in different bullet weights such as 115gn and 124gn. How do you go about choosing which grain to use?
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:24:20 AM EDT
[#1]
115 too light
147 too slow

124 just right

unless you want subsonic then 147 is the way to go.  get some +p 124 and you are GTG
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:41:22 AM EDT
[#2]
I prefer 147, good expansion and less recoil.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:59:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This and with Winchester making the train and defend at about 21 bucks a box it is hard not to go 147.
I run either Winchester Defend 147 or Hornady XTP 147.  Both do exceptionally well in ballistic test and they are not break the bank price.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:37:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I almost always opt for heavy-for-caliber for increased penetration.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:46:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:13:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This and with Winchester making the train and defend at about 21 bucks a box it is hard not to go 147.
I run either Winchester Defend 147 or Hornady XTP 147.  Both do exceptionally well in ballistic test and they are not break the bank price.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What projectile is in the defend? Pdx, sxt, ranger t?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 6:06:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Honestly looks just like a PDX1 round I set them side by side and could not honestly tell the difference.  I used to run nothing but PDX1 but it is hard to find in stock.  I think they just rebadged the PDX1 ammo which the PDX1 ammo is rebadged something or another cannot remember but with a nickel plated case.   Every review I read or ballistic test I saw was the same or very very close to the PDX1 ammo.

From what I read it sounds like Winchester simplified the naming of their defense ammo.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 6:43:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Honestly looks just like a PDX1 round I set them side by side and could not honestly tell the difference.  I used to run nothing but PDX1 but it is hard to find in stock.  I think they just rebadged the PDX1 ammo which the PDX1 ammo is rebadged something or another cannot remember but with a nickel plated case.   Every review I read or ballistic test I saw was the same or very very close to the PDX1 ammo.

From what I read it sounds like Winchester simplified the naming of their defense ammo.
View Quote

PDX1 is rebadged Ranger Bonded.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 6:46:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I always run 147's myself.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:39:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Ive been following the 9mm ammo quest on YouTube.  He's only been testing 3 inch barreled guns with defensive ammo.  With the right loads it doesn't really look like weight makes much of a difference.  147 is just a little more lead headed down range.  

Just watched the Winchester Train and Defend video.  It had excellent results and its a 147 grain bullet.  Sure its mushroom wasn't as cool looking as the HST but it did perform pretty consistent.  I think I will stick with the 147 grain bullets

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:42:27 AM EDT
[#11]
I have used all three and still have all three in my stash, but for the most part I grab the 115s, force of habit I guess.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:44:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So essentially Winchester just renamed all the same ammo to defend.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 2:24:26 PM EDT
[#13]
In my conversation with HK regarding my p7, they suggest sticking with 115 grain loads, so that's what I buy.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 5:59:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I almost always opt for heavy-for-caliber for increased penetration.
View Quote

this
9mm 147
.40 180
.45 230
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 9:19:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Range ammo is 115gr as it is easier for me to find around here. I carry PDX-1 in 124gr +P and do practice with 124 Winchester or any other 124 gr when I can find it locally or get a good deal on line for it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 12:28:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Either 124gr or 147gr of something that expands reliably and is bonded.The difference between weights and brands is negligable provided they meet the above two criteria. Grab what's cheap.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top