Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2015 3:30:27 PM EDT
Video link for phones

Hornady 95 gr XTP fired from Bulgarian Arsenal Makarov into calibrated 10% gelatin with and without denim.

BB: 590.8 fps, 3.0"

Bare gel results:

Impact velocity: 1,027 fps
Penetration: 6.9"
Retained weight: 93.2 gr
Max expansion: 0.657"
Min expansion: 0.494"

4 layers of denim results:

Impact velocity: 1,077 fps
Penetration: 12.9"
Retained weight: 95.3 gr
Max expansion: 0.534"
Min expansion: 0.400"

Unfortunately, the card in one of my cameras became corrupted, causing me to lose the HD side view footage and the photos that I took before weighing and measuring the projectiles. Thankfully, I hadn't already melted the blocks when I discovered the problem so I retook the photos without the bullets present in the block. Sorry for that.

The final portion was supposed to be much closer so you could more clearly view feeding and ejection. Next time I'll position the camera much closer and set the frame rate to 120 frames per second instead of 240 for better resolution. Hey, I'm still learning.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 9:59:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Am I reading correct double the penetration after 4 layers of denim ? seems odd such s difference .
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 10:17:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Am I reading correct double the penetration after 4 layers of denim ? seems odd such s difference .
View Quote

Look at the expansion, likely the denim caused a partial clog in the HP cavity. Less expansion =more penetration
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 10:47:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 12:44:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Yup. Watch the video. The difference in penetration is clear in the photos and the partial expansion on the denim bullet tells the story.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 12:06:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Interesting. Don't recall the last time a saw an XTP underpenetrate...

I followed the link at the end of that one to the silver bear 115gr 9x18. That was my favorite 9x18 load for a good while, although I acknowledge its imperfections; wish they still made it. Pushing 115 grains at 1040fps from a little blowback gun the size of a PPK/s (the P64), is punishing. Never had any function issues with it in either the P64 or the Bulgy Mack either one. Did have some feed issues with the newer 94-grain SB stuff.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:01:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Interesting. Don't recall the last time a saw an XTP underpenetrate...

I followed the link at the end of that one to the silver bear 115gr 9x18. That was my favorite 9x18 load for a good while, although I acknowledge its imperfections; wish they still made it. Pushing 115 grains at 1040fps from a little blowback gun the size of a PPK/s (the P64), is punishing. Never had any function issues with it in either the P64 or the Bulgy Mack either one. Did have some feed issues with the newer 94-grain SB stuff.
View Quote

The Silver Bear 9x18 never was reliable in my mak, when I had one.  I gave the remaining ammo to a friend.....

I want one of those P64s that are around, just not enough to add another caliber

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top