Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/12/2015 3:36:29 PM EDT
You may already know this, and I apologize if this is a repeat discussion.

I recently bought a case of 9mm Blazer Brass 115gr FMJ to shoot in my 9mm guns.  One of those guns is a Ruger LCR 9mm revolver.  I fired a couple of cylinders worth of rounds and on the third load, after firing two rounds, the third shot had a lot of flames and smoke and a pretty weak bullet path (went way low).  I inspected the gun and the next round had the bullet actually sticking out of the cylinder.  It had come out of the unfired case.  I pulled the fifth round out of the cylinder, and I manually pulled the bullet out of the case.  I was not expecting that.  All other 9mm FMJ I have shot with the LCR had none of these issues (Remington UMC, WWB, Sellier & Bellot, PMC, American Eagle)

I wrote an email to CCI/SPeer and they sent back this reply:

View Quote
Lincoln, this is not an ammunition issue, we see this from time to time with
these light weight revolvers. The firearms are so light and when you shoot the
firearm the bullet tries to stay where it is and the bullet moves out of the
case. This is such a problem that S&W has a sheet in their owner's manual on how
to test ammunition for these4 lightweight bullets. I have attached a copy for
you to look at. I would recommend shooting this ammunition 2 or 3 rounds at a
time.

Make Every Shot Count!
Justin M.
CCI/Speer
2299 Snake River Ave
Lewiston, ID. 83501
View Quote

Here is the Smith & Wesson Advisory

In any case, just wanted to post this to let you folks know what I experienced so you don't have to.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 3:39:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the heads up. This is the very reason why I am not a fan of semiauto calibers in revolvers. Revolver cartridges have a full roll crimp for a reason.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 3:45:15 PM EDT
[#2]
When you are finished testing, unload your revolver and secure it safely.

I was thinking of getting a .357 LCR but have decided against it.
The company even puts out printed material saying they are unsuitable for loaded, concealed carry.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 7:18:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the heads up. This is the very reason why I am not a fan of semiauto calibers in revolvers. Revolver cartridges have a full roll crimp for a reason.
View Quote

I really didn't expect the bullet to unseat, but I'm glad CCI/Speer clarified.  Blazer Brass is decent ammo, and I will still practice with it in my semi-auto guns.  I have seen a lot of positive feedback from competitive target shooters.  The lighter crimp may have something to do with with how accurate this ammo is.  It will not be in the LCR anymore!
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 8:26:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
When you are finished testing, unload your revolver and secure it safely.

I was thinking of getting a .357 LCR but have decided against it.
The company even puts out printed material saying they are unsuitable for loaded, concealed carry.
View Quote

The .357 and .38 won't be an issue as the ammo is designed for a revolver.   First I've heard of this issue with auto pistol ammo and revolvers but I guess it makes sense.  Believe me and LCR is extremely suitable for loaded concealed carry.  The documentation is so full of lawyer BS I pay no attention to it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 11:48:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Years back I bought a Ruger SP101 in 9mm (with the full moon clips) for snubby plate matches . My plan was to use medium power reloads and I spent a fair amount of time trying different bullets , case brand and reloading techniques without great results. With careful selection of factory ammo it was somewhat reliable for match use but I would not trust it for SD carry use.

Keep in mind the SP101 is a hefty package compared to the airweight guns .

I have never had any issues with bullet setback with 38 sp in my S&W 642.

I have very little experience with the 357 airweights
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 1:17:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Years back I bought a Ruger SP101 in 9mm (with the full moon clips) for snubby plate matches . My plan was to use medium power reloads and I spent a fair amount of time trying different bullets , case brand and reloading techniques without great results. With careful selection of factory ammo it was somewhat reliable for match use but I would not trust it for SD carry use.

View Quote

You just triggered a thought...  Using moon clips in the LCR 9mm is required (can't really shoot the gun without moon clips).  I was wondering if that moon clip connection from rounds being fired is the thing that's causing the unfired rounds in the cylinder to unseat from the cases.  I guess it doesn't matter.  The moon clips serves as an ersatz speed loader so I like them.  Just need to find ammo that isn't affected, especially SD ammo.  Haven't tried 135gr GDHP +P yet, but HST 124gr std. press. works well.  Only shot a box of 50 with the LCR, but no issues with those.  Just don't know if HST's will "blossom" from the 1.8" barrel.  I carry a Shield 9 and not the LCR.  I'm horrible with that double action trigger so it would be a BUG at best.  My wife shoots lights out with that LCR, so she carries it off body most times with the HST's loaded.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 12:00:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You just triggered a thought...  Using moon clips in the LCR 9mm is required (can't really shoot the gun without moon clips).  I was wondering if that moon clip connection from rounds being fired is the thing that's causing the unfired rounds in the cylinder to unseat from the cases.  I guess it doesn't matter.  The moon clips serves as an ersatz speed loader so I like them.  Just need to find ammo that isn't affected, especially SD ammo.  Haven't tried 135gr GDHP +P yet, but HST 124gr std. press. works well.  Only shot a box of 50 with the LCR, but no issues with those.  Just don't know if HST's will "blossom" from the 1.8" barrel.  I carry a Shield 9 and not the LCR.  I'm horrible with that double action trigger so it would be a BUG at best.  My wife shoots lights out with that LCR, so she carries it off body most times with the HST's loaded.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buy a crimp die, and give a heavy crimp to your sd ammo and test it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top