Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2015 7:39:41 PM EDT
Have look at this page and tell me what you think.

I need to restock my stash of .380 range ammo, and I need to get the best value I can find, but I'm doing for than just plinking.

I want to spend some seriousl time out at the range over the next month or so practicing with my LCP and see just how good I can get.

What would you buy?

Link to Slickguns

Edited to add: I want to stay away from bimetal jacketed ammo.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 11:56:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Accuracy and LCP do not go together. Work on how you will carry and quick presentation. If you are not reloading I would buy steel cased ammo for your practice.  Otherwise buy the least expensive factory loaded brass case.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 2:05:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Accuracy and LCP do not go together. Work on how you will carry and quick presentation. If you are not reloading I would buy steel cased ammo for your practice.  Otherwise buy the least expensive factory loaded brass case.
View Quote

I'm not trying to be a .380 Sniper, but I do believe in being proficiet with anything I may have on me at any given time. Sometimes, that cannot be any larger than the LCP, so I carry that.

My only worry with the steel cased stuff is that it is usually bimetal jacket, and that barrel will not put up with that kind of abuse.

I'm really wondering if there are any brass offerings that I should avoid due to known accuracy problems from other users. (The ammo, not the LCP)
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 3:40:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I currently have a LCP along with two other 380s. I like the little RUGER and pocket carry it often. For me, proficiency with the LCP is being able to draw from concealment and put multiple rounds in a softball sized group out to say five yards smoothly, quickly and repeatedly. If you are looking to shoot little groups with your LCP I will have let someone else advise you.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 11:50:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Of those loads on that page, I'd say try the 90-grain XTP. I've had very good luck with xtp bullets accuracy-wise.

That said, it's not the cheapest option at $13.99/25, but I wouldn't advise burning tons of rounds thru an LCP on a regular basis anyway. I carry an LCP daily. Sometimes by itself, often as a backup to a larger gun. It's a great little gun and I trust it implicitly, but I wouldn't expect its life-expectancy (in round count) to be up there with a PPK or other, heavier guns. It's bare minimum construction-wise, and its lifespan is likely to reflect that. Don't know how many rounds I've put thru it in the ~5 years I've had it, but it's almost certainly not 1,500 and may not be much over 1,000. Some other guns, I'll do that many rounds i a month or two; but in the LCP, I can't help but wonder what percentage of the gun's useful life that 1k or so rounds represents..?

Agree completely about wanting to be as competent as possible with it, but I also agree with two4spooky's point about the inherent limitations of this type of gun. Being a 9-oz DA-only gun with a sub-2" barrel, I expect the definition of 'proficient' to be pretty loose. To me; ymmv.

FWIW, the 90-grain XTP is one of the better .380 carry loads imo and is what I carry in my LCP. I'd suggest finding what load you plan to carry, and simply buy the same for your stash. If I were going to shoot a bunch of rounds thru my gun, it might as well be the load that I depend on on a regular basis. I like having what a lot of people consider "way too much" ammo on hand, but for this gun and a few others, I personally think that even a small stash of just several hundred is probably more than a lifetime supply for most people.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:13:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Have look at this page and tell me what you think.

I need to restock my stash of .380 range ammo, and I need to get the best value I can find, but I'm doing for than just plinking.

I want to spend some seriousl time out at the range over the next month or so practicing with my LCP and see just how good I can get.
View Quote

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The LCP sucks as a self-defense pistol.  The sights are too small, the slide too difficult to retract, the trigger pull too long and the grip too small to handle even 380 recoil. You are never going to be able to shoot the LCP fast and accurate at 10+ yards no matter what ammo you use, so the best thing you could do is sell it and buy a pocket pistol you can trust to save your life in an emergency, such as a Ruger LC9-S PRO, an XD-S 9 or even a 380 Glock 42 if you have to have a 380.  You will thank me for this advice if you ever end up in a real life shooting situation.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 4:04:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The LCP sucks as a self-defense pistol.  The sights are too small, the slide too difficult to retract, the trigger pull too long and the grip too small to handle even 380 recoil. You are never going to be able to shoot the LCP fast and accurate at 10+ yards no matter what ammo you use, so the best thing you could do is sell it and buy a pocket pistol you can trust to save your life in an emergency, such as a Ruger LC9-S PRO, an XD-S 9 or even a 380 Glock 42 if you have to have a 380.  You will thank me for this advice if you ever end up in a real life shooting situation.
View Quote

Your opinion is incongruent with my experiences (in classes; no gun fighting experiences), but I thank you just the same.

Like I said before, most of the time, I carry something else, but sometimes, I am forced to go with the LCP.
Those are the times I practice for.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:15:38 AM EDT
[#7]
I hear what you're saying OP, but the fact is that in the hands of a person, the person/sights/LCP combo will not "outshoot" the intrinsic precision ability of any, even very cheap, factory loaded ammunition.  Given the platform and sighting interface, it is not repeatably possible to shoot say, 3" groups at 25 yards, with an LCP.  Which is totally OK and not a bad mark against the pistol or shooter.  Additionally, you are not going to "shoot out the barrel" in an LCP with bi-jacketed bullets.  In the rifle world yes you can "shoot out a barrel" which occurs faster with bi-metal ammo and high firing rates, but that occurrence does not port over to sub 900fps handguns.  Lastly, with an LCP that costs around $225, nearly ALL of the true total cost of ownership is in your ammo costs of roughly $3000 per 10K rounds.  

FWIW, I'd recommend focusing your training on getting the gun into the fight more quickly, getting a quicker first hit, and shooting quickly with center of man level precision while on the move.  "target shooting" for groups with an LCP should be very low on your training priority list.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 2:00:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I hear what you're saying OP, but the fact is that in the hands of a person, the person/sights/LCP combo will not "outshoot" the intrinsic precision ability of any, even very cheap, factory loaded ammunition.  Given the platform and sighting interface, it is not repeatably possible to shoot say, 3" groups at 25 yards, with an LCP.  Which is totally OK and not a bad mark against the pistol or shooter.  Additionally, you are not going to "shoot out the barrel" in an LCP with bi-jacketed bullets.  In the rifle world yes you can "shoot out a barrel" which occurs faster with bi-metal ammo and high firing rates, but that occurrence does not port over to sub 900fps handguns.  Lastly, with an LCP that costs around $225, nearly ALL of the true total cost of ownership is in your ammo costs of roughly $3000 per 10K rounds.  

FWIW, I'd recommend focusing your training on getting the gun into the fight more quickly, getting a quicker first hit, and shooting quickly with center of man level precision while on the move.  "target shooting" for groups with an LCP should be very low on your training priority list.
View Quote

Don't get me wrong, these things are a higher priority in a fight, and I do understand that, but at the same time, I believe you have to walk before you can "run". You must be solid on the fundamentals, so solid in fact that it is second nature....I was starting to feel that I was nearing this level of competence until I bought an LCP.
The plain truth is, the damn thing is so hard to shoot that it like learning how to walk all over again. LOL
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 11:45:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Black rifle I applaud your effort to gain competence with your carry pistol as best you can as that little lcp is the most likely to be on you when you need it. That being said I do not think you could find a 380 round significantly more accurate out of that platform than others to make it worth selecting a specific practice round.
My glock 42 gives me sub two inch 15 yard groups with several types of ammo. Testing or getting input on a round that may shrink that group a little is not going to change much. At some point splitting hairs is not worth it.
Some people will deride the little pocket guns but truth is many people who chest thump and say they carry a 45 I walk up to in August while wearing shorts and sandals and ask what you carrying today? Oh my pistol is at home too hot to carry a big gun or I locked it in the car. But I can still pull out my pocket 25/32/380 and have a fighting chance.
As far as pocket gun accuracy my beretta 25 will hold rapid fire 7-10 yard groups on a playing card and inside the ten ring of a b27 at 25 yards so yes mouse guns can be accurate!
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 12:05:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Herters 380 at cabelas is $16 a box and made by s&b. It is cheap and very consistent plus its reloadable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top