Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/30/2014 10:57:56 AM EDT
I switched back to 230gr ball ammo in my 1911 Les Baer TRS 1911.  I have Blazer Brass, Winchester White box, and some Federal.  Which of the three would you carry in your CCW pistol?  Is there a more reliable brand out there in 230 ball?
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 11:04:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Why ball? Is it a reliability thing?

Just curious, not bashing.

I would go with Federal or Remington, do not like WWB.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 11:44:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I never had a reliability issue with my Les Baer.  I live out in the woods of NE PA and I spend the majority of my day outside.  Sometimes I get the urge to take a shot at a log or pile of dirt.  Shooting HP ammo gets to be very expensive, so I decided to carry fmj so I won't break the bank taking a practice shot.   The farmer over the hill lost 22 sheep this year to coyotes and other predators.  About two miles in the other direction, they have pictures of a wolf caught on a game camera.  So I am keeping sharp on my reactive shooting skills.  My bedside 45 is loaded with HST's.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 12:17:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
<snip>  My bedside 45 is loaded with HST's.
View Quote

Oh, thank God.

I just go here and get what's cheapest out of the non-steel/major brands.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 11:40:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I've never had a problem from any ball ammo from the big domestic manufacturers.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 1:57:04 AM EDT
[#5]
To be honest, some of the best FMJ I have used recently has been Prvi Partizan PPU 230 grain.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 2:20:57 AM EDT
[#6]
See below...
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 7:37:49 AM EDT
[#7]
You're purposely loading a gun, with which you may have to defend your very life, with known sub-par ammunition because you might want to shoot a pile of mud on a whim someday, and so far in this thread I'm the only one who sees that as colossally fucked up? The whole world's done gone retard on me.    
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 3:00:11 PM EDT
[#8]
When I use factory .45 ACP 230 gr. ball ammo, which isn't often any more and not my reloads, I favor 230 gr. Federal American Eagle.
Over the years I have found it to be the most consistent as far as accuracy and velocity.
I'm not talking the Federal Champion stuff found in Walmart or such, I'm talking American Eagle.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 3:45:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
When I use factory .45 ACP 230 gr. ball ammo, which isn't often any more and not my reloads, I favor 230 gr. Federal American Eagle.
Over the years I have found it to be the most consistent as far as accuracy and velocity.
I'm not talking the Federal Champion stuff found in Walmart or such, I'm talking American Eagle.
View Quote

This is pretty good ammo. Shoots great. I like it a lot. And it's cheep.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 6:20:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I've seen a couple Winchester white box cases with no flash holes.  Primers out and locked the guns up.  That was probably 2 in about 10,000 though, and they were the only failures from those that I am aware of.

I've never had a problem with Federal Champion, seems to be quality ammo to me.  I'm pretty sure they are small primer cases, if that matters to you.  Ammo from any major manufacturer is going to be pretty boringly reliable.

Unless you're worried about very large predators where more penetration may actually be needed (bears maybe), I would carry hollowpoints in the gun and a spare mag of FMJ for plinking.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 8:23:41 PM EDT
[#11]
When I carried .45, I loaded it with Federal American Eagle 230 FMJ.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 8:30:25 PM EDT
[#12]
This
Quoted:
I've never had a problem from any ball ammo from the big domestic manufacturers.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 6:47:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You're purposely loading a gun, with which you may have to defend your very life, with known sub-par ammunition because you might want to shoot a pile of mud on a whim someday, and so far in this thread I'm the only one who sees that as colossally fucked up? The whole world's done gone retard on me.    
View Quote

take it easy there Francis !!!

Fwiw 230 grain ball ammo has been doing a good job of killing our enemy for over 100 years so with that said I would NEVER feel under guned with 45 ball ammo
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 9:07:01 AM EDT
[#14]
In my guns, the WWB stuff always seems to chrono slower than others. Normally that would be a bad thing, but with .45acp ball, it might actually be a good thing..? Still going to get a half-inch hole pretty much thru & thru; but the lower recoil may lend itself to faster & more accurate follow-up shots. Maybe, maybe not, but may be worth checking into. If you had - or could find - some of the WWB 230 BEB stuff, that would be really worth looking at imo. It's lighter loaded, and has a flatpoint truncated-cone bullet much like the old hornady 230 grainer from the 80's-90's if you remember those. I always thought those would make a surprisingly good defensive load if a person were denied HP/SP stuff; basically like an SWC from a .44/.45 revolver.

Fwiw, while I wouldn't recommend fmj pistol ammo in most other typical defensive handgun calibers, in .45's (and .44's) I'd be comfortable with ball ammo myself.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 9:16:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Wilson Combat is having a sale on their ammo.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 8:30:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Fwiw 230 grain ball ammo has been doing a good job of killing our enemy for over 100 years so with that said I would NEVER feel under guned with 45 ball ammo
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The same old stupid and impotent defense for carrying subpar ammunition. Musket balls killed a metric shot ton of people, but that doesn't make it the ideal choice anymore. Times change. I don't understand people who choose to not use the best thing available, especially when we're talking about our very lives.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 11:37:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's why I carry a pair of flintlocks. If they were good enough for Blackbeard they're good enough for me.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 11:41:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That's why I carry a pair of flintlocks. If they were good enough for Blackbeard they're good enough for me.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For the first time in years I'm laughing uncontrollably at my computer screen
!
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 8:58:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Last time I did the research, Federal American Eagle .45 ACP 230gr. FMJ had the highest velocity of all the popular brands and was closest to the original 1911 military ammo spec.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 9:37:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edward Teach was killed
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 11:28:38 AM EDT
[#21]
If you really want ball I would find some recent gi surplus or imi they would tend to be the most consistent regarding accuracy and velocity. While any maker can decide on a velocity or spec they feel works for them to produce ammo at the lowest cost and still run, the mil spec has standards for pressure velocity accuracy etc.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:47:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

and a near miss from a .45 still has more stopping power than actually being hit by any other caliber
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:01:10 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Last time I did the research, Federal American Eagle .45 ACP 230gr. FMJ had the highest velocity of all the popular brands and was closest to the original 1911 military ammo spec.

View Quote

This has been my observation as well. Other FMJ brands often clock in at <800 fps from a 5-inch barrel. American Eagle is almost always 830-850+ fps.

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:29:40 PM EDT
[#24]
I carry a US Property marked 1945 Remington Rand 1911 most of the time. I dont baby it but I'm not about to feed it a bunch of P+ ammo either, and don't have a clue of it would even feed JHP's reliably, so I stick with ball ammo. Don't feel under-gunned either.  YMMV...

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:50:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Federal American Eagle if you want to carry ball ammo. There are better choices in non FMJ designs.  Carry the best you can. Have a mag of cheaper ammo for plinking if that helps.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:25:13 PM EDT
[#27]
take it easy there Francis !!! ..... perfect answer....

I would strongly suggest you buy a box of every brand can find, including the oddball ones.. GECO, PPU etc .... and test them all for accuracy.... you will find a big difference in accuracy and point of impact.

After you find the one that is the most accurate.... buy a bunch more of that one.

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 1:30:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Black Hills 230gr. FMJ  850 fps.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 10:27:34 AM EDT
[#29]

There are 2 seperate threads currently about how shitty they are.

Sorry I can't link, I'm on my tablet. One is the the 50bmg section, the other is in the AR ammo section.

ETA: spelling
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 7:33:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Sorry I can't link, I'm on my tablet. One is the the 50bmg section, the other is in the AR ammo section.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I have had problems with their reman ammo, but not with their new.  I've had more failures with WWB.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 10:35:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Any quality, reliable 230gr. FMJ ammo will do.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 7:57:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Les Baer recommends Federal American Eagle for the break in of their guns. I think is one of the more cosistent ball rounds on the market. I recently learned that Winchester White box is loaded alittle on the lighter side so onece in awhile I get a failure to feed the last round out of the mag in some of my 1911's.
For carry use I would go with a good Hollow point round. I carried Federal Hydro shoks for years and about two years ago went to Speer Gold Dots both are great carry rounds in 230 gr.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 6:33:21 PM EDT
[#33]
I carry a 45 acp Rock Island Officers model with a 3.5 in barrel. after reading 50 thousands words on which ammo is best for carry.  I give up, I carry federal 230 grain hard ball.  over and out.  If it's good enough for the United States military for almost 100 years, it's good enough for me.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 6:36:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Yes, Me too.  I have read a million articles on hollow point this and hollow point that.  a 45acp with a 3.5 inch barrel, I use 230 gr hard ball. If the military can use it for 100 years its good enough for me
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 12:54:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The same old stupid and impotent defense for carrying subpar ammunition. Musket balls killed a metric shot ton of people, but that doesn't make it the ideal choice anymore. Times change. I don't understand people who choose to not use the best thing available, especially when we're talking about our very lives.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right.  Unless your over priced Les Baer chokes on JHP or you cant afford it after buying the Les Baer, not to use a decent self defense round is idiotic.  

You spend all that cash on that gun only to be cheap with your life...
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 1:17:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Some of yall place far too much faith in bullet technology versus shot placement. We're not talking about .22LR here. Plenty of people have been put down by .45 ball ammo prior to modern JHP's.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 12:33:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:...Right.  Unless your over priced Les Baer chokes on JHP or you cant afford it after buying the Les Baer, not to use a decent self defense round is idiotic.  

You spend all that cash on that gun only to be cheap with your life...
View Quote

I'm a fan of progress, and I'm a huge fan of progress in life-safety categories. Personally, I don't carry fmj ammunition in any gun other than sometimes in an AR, so I'm not defending some personal choice here.

But the idea that .45-caliber hardball has somehow become something less than 'a decent self defense round', is something I just can't wrap my head around.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:23:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Jesus christ, some people are so god damn wound up and overly sensitive.

Clint Smith carries ball. *shrug*
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:59:22 PM EDT
[#39]
I used to use Speer Lawman 230 TMJ hard ball, but I haven't seen in around for a while.  I assume they still make it.  I got a case of IMI that I am still shooting through and it is good, too.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 3:35:28 AM EDT
[#40]
If it was me I'd load up on the 225 gr LHP I reload! Start reloading 45 acp is easy to reload you can make the rounds as hot as you want then get in to casting I cast HP lead rounds and I will tell you they expand pretty well and will make any type of K9 to think twice if they have the chance also they are a lot cheaper. Had a friend of mine a 1911 snob who has his pistol so tweeked that it can only really shot FMJ reliable comes to me to pick up my LHP rounds he has had 0 problems with the HP rounds I cast. I just now need to make them so the powder is not so dirty like X800 have to see how the CFE pistol works when I can find it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 6:00:48 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
take it easy there Francis !!! ..... perfect answer....

I would strongly suggest you buy a box of every brand can find, including the oddball ones.. GECO, PPU etc .... and test them all for accuracy.... you will find a big difference in accuracy and point of impact.

After you find the one that is the most accurate.... buy a bunch more of that one.

View Quote

This. Put them on paper and see what works best for your gun.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 12:30:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Ammo I was issued last month in Astan was WCC.  TZZ is also a supplier.  Bottom center Remington Rand was my carry gun that I just pulled out of the holster for the picture in arms room.  Loaded with 7+1 M1911 Ball (issued checkmate mags too)

CD
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 12:32:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Here's one from 08' in Baghdad.  1916 dated Colt frame with mentioned TZZ M1911 Ball

CD

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:46:52 AM EDT
[#44]
First of all Combat_Diver, what kind of job do you have where they are still issuing GI1911s?

If I was in your situation OP, I'd go with a 200-230 gr SWC, they have much better permanent cavities than ball.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:12:39 AM EDT
[#45]
My retirement job is as a SOF armorer, teaching/repairing Mk18s, Mk48, Mk47, Mk44 and M3s to name a few.  Still working with my brothers in arms.

CD
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:06:14 AM EDT
[#46]
If you carry ball the IMI /TZZ is usually the hottest by about 20-30 fps over everybody else .
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 9:47:59 PM EDT
[#47]
They all fall with hardball......

My choice lately has been PMC..
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 8:17:38 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Some of yall place far too much faith in bullet technology versus shot placement. We're not talking about .22LR here. Plenty of people have been put down by .45 ball ammo prior to modern JHP's.
View Quote

Some of yall feel that shot placement and use of good ammo are exclusionary for some bizzare reason.  Why not have good shot placement WITH ammo that has good terminal ballistics????  If you KNOW with 100%, absolute certainty that you, under stress of a gunfight, are going to put every bullet in the guys brain you should be carrying .22LR.  Much lighter, quicker followup shots (to get his buddies, since your first CNS shot will stop one guy, obviously)

ETA: sorry, getting off track from OP.  For shooting piles of dirt and the occasional coyote I'd just get whatever ball I could get the best price on.  OP has his bedisde loaded with HST which is the way to go!
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:39:37 PM EDT
[#49]
I bought a 1911 a few years ago that came with a ton of Speer Lawman FMJ, and it's outstanding ammo. Right now all I have left is PMC FMJ and Federal aluminum cased FMJ to try in my Detonics Combat Master tomorrow.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:48:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top