Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2014 7:37:19 PM EDT

Noticed on my target board today that some bullets had not made it all the way through.  Had to be either 9mm or 38 special from the last couple of trips to the range.  I suspected 38 special due to the lower velocity but I have shot 200 Tula BrassMax 9mm and have read that some people feel like some of those rounds are light loads.  So to find out I dug a couple out of the board...

9mm would be round nose, 38 special would be flat nose.

The board is a 5/8" thick sheet of polyethylene plastic.  Pretty heavy and dense.

Here are some pics of the bullets stuck in the board...entry side...you can see 7 where the bottom of the bullet is visible.  

Exit side...this one almost made it out...

This one too...it still has a little paper on the nose from the target on the front of the board...

Here are the bullets after digging them out along with the cartridges they had to come from.

Winchester white box...38 special, 158gr JHP (Brass case), 800 fps muzzle, 185 ft/lbs energy...or...

Blazer...38 special +P, 158gr JHP (Aluminum case), 850 fps muzzle, 253 ft/lbs energy...

Looks pretty clear to me from the color that the Winchesters were the rounds not getting through.  

So, about a 6.5% increase in speed and a 27% increase in energy made the difference...if the numbers given by the makers are accurate.

We shot 50 Winchesters and upon examination I counted 14 that did not get through.

For what it's worth.

Edit:  All the 38 specials were fired from a Ruger LCR at about 25 - 30 feet distance.

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 2:46:03 AM EDT
[#1]
What is the target board made of and how thick?
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 2:44:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Read the thread  " The board is a 5/8" thick sheet of polyethylene plastic. Pretty heavy and dense."  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top