Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2014 11:23:20 AM EDT

I have had good results with "the bears" in my commie guns (9mm Mak., 7.62x39, 5.45x39) so I figured I would try 500 rounds in 9x19. I tried it in two different guns with poor results.

ARCUS 98DAC - Honestly, I expected this gun to eat and shit without problem. It has a hard chromed (inside and out) barrel and built by and for a nation that has produced a lot of steel cased ammunition as well. However, with Silver Bear, this gun was a jam-o-matic with consistent failures to extract. Perfectly clean it would fire a few rounds (as many as 50) an then it would start to stutter and finally turn into a single-shot. The funny thing is that even when it had reached a point where it would jam on every shot (with the Silver Bear) all I had to do was insert a fresh mag of Fiocchi 115gr. FMJ and it was back to running non-stop until slide lock.

Glock G17 - Despite the factory warnings, I ran the Silver Bear through my beater Glock. It ran a little better but still averaged 1 to 2 failures to extract per magazine. The stoppages required me to insert a dowel from the muzzle and hammer the stuck casings out of the chamber. There appeared to be almost no extractor marks on the rims (same with the ARCUS).

In addition, my groupings were horrible. They were not even "groups". At 17 yards, the POI was all over the place on an NRA Police Silhouette target, head to groin, left and right as opposed to an all in the black, center of mass defined "group" with the Fiocchi during the same range session with the same guns.

Does anybody shoot Silver Bear 9x19mm well, without malfunctions. ?

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 5:30:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I use it in .223 and .45acp.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 3:24:21 AM EDT
[#2]
My tec 9 oddly enough loves steel cased ammo, but use good brass ammo, jam o matic.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 4:16:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Used it in 5.56, 9, and 40, no issues
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 8:51:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I've shot a bunch of the 9x18 Mak Silver Bear and love it. It's my favorite Makarov ammo right now, but a little hard to find. I had a box or two that was subject to light strikes, but that either went away as I broke in the new parts I'd put in my gun or was just a couple boxes. Haven't had that problem in a while.
Top Top