What do you guys think about the new GD bullet

I see Doc has it on the list.

has a shallow HP with some type of polymer/ plastic

I think Kislers has some info on it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:17:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:49:37 AM EDT
[#2]
What is OP talking about? I tried searching but my Google fu is weak!
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:02:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I've searched and found nothing about a new Gold Dot design. As far as "kissers" having info, no idea what the op is talking about.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:50:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Link

Not much info, just what OP listed, and a pic of the box
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:54:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I see Doc has it on the list..
View Quote

What list?  I don't see it in the "Best Choices for Defensive Ammo" but I don't know when that's been updated...
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:38:16 PM EDT
[#6]
From what I understand it is the new loading for the FBI and it is supposed to be very good.  A 147 gr at moderate velocity.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:37:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What list?  I don't see it in the "Best Choices for Defensive Ammo" but I don't know when that's been updated...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Docs approved list at his forum. Trust me Ive been following the Doc for several years
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:39:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
From what I understand it is the new loading for the FBI and it is supposed to be very good.  A 147 gr at moderate velocity.
View Quote

Suppose to be the best loading yet!

I would love a low velocity 147gr load . 850fps
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:42:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've searched and found nothing about a new Gold Dot design. As far as "kissers" having info, no idea what the op is talking about.
View Quote

My bad I forgot a L
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:13:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Looks like a typical bonded hollow point, but with a gellish polymer in the cavity. Soft to the touch. Not sure function it performs except perhaps helping with not overexanding in certain materials?
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:47:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Looks like a typical bonded hollow point, but with a gellish polymer in the cavity. Soft to the touch. Not sure function it performs except perhaps helping with not overexanding in certain materials?
View Quote

well they added nose cuts like on HST and doesn't have the typical Plastic Tip / insert

Im also been waiting over a year for testing on the Nosler Accubond  .  mainly the200gr 40S&W
they have to loads one with and one without a plastic    nose.

I saw a 4layer D test using a Nosler 200gr JHP in 40S&W and it expanded nicely and Penetrated to 18inches.

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 3:55:17 PM EDT
[#12]
"The nose is filled with Elastomer....."

LOL, sounds like something a fly-by-night ammo company would say, but if it's Gold Dot, I'm sure it's good stuff.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 3:57:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

My bad I forgot a L
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My bad I forgot a L

And an "E," but whatever.  Kiesler.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:29:53 PM EDT
[#14]
From what I hear it will be introduced next year.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 12:40:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
From what I hear it will be introduced next year.
View Quote

Nice I would like to see some test on it along with video and pictures of said test.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 8:09:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Docs approved list at his forum. Trust me Ive been following the Doc for several years
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok I give.  What is HIS forum???
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 7:01:49 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not strictly speaking his, but here's where he keeps things updated.

Link Posted: 9/5/2014 9:22:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My bad I forgot a L

my bad again?

I wish I didn't make mistakes

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 7:50:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think its one of the best forums out there.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:04:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Please I anyone run cross any of the Speer G2 loads  let me /us know.

Speer wish list
158gr. G2  38spl +P

All fixed sighted 38/357 J&K frame have a POA/POI that = 158gr  ( the old FBI load  158grSWC H.P.)

I would compromise  and go as low as 147gr ( Like the 38spl  Federal Hydra Shok  147gr +P+)

I found the 148WC come pretty close to POA/POI
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 6:34:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thanks.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 6:37:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Hey guys, I was looking for info about this stuff, but I guess now I know why I couldn't find any.

I came across some today and picked up a few 50rd boxes.  9mm 147gr standard pressure.  

So what do we know about this stuff at this point, anything?

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:41:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Nice find. Supossed to be the next generation gold dot. Would love to see some gel test (or any test showing expansion for that matter) on these bullets. Where did you find them if I may ask? Was it online or in a local shop?
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 4:18:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

my bad again?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My bad I forgot a L

my bad again?

Aren't you glad that there is someone to point out your mistakes when your wife isn't around?
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:50:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Hey guys, I was looking for info about this stuff, but I guess now I know why I couldn't find any.

I came across some today and picked up a few 50rd boxes.  9mm 147gr standard pressure.  

So what do we know about this stuff at this point, anything?

<a href="http://s121.photobucket.com/user/raab35/media/IMG_0007_zps0a4b14b0.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o218/raab35/IMG_0007_zps0a4b14b0.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s121.photobucket.com/user/raab35/media/IMG_0008_zpsc773c2e0.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o218/raab35/IMG_0008_zpsc773c2e0.jpg</a>
View Quote

I wonder if the "GOV" marking on the end flap means this was FBI contract ammo?
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 4:21:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Nice find. Supossed to be the next generation gold dot. Would love to see some gel test (or any test showing expansion for that matter) on these bullets. Where did you find them if I may ask? Was it online or in a local shop?
View Quote

It was at a local gun show, one of the bigger ammo sellers that I see there every so often had it.  

I asked him about them and he said he just got them in a week ago and didn't know much about them.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 4:39:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

It was at a local gun show, one of the bigger ammo sellers that I see there every so often had it.  

I asked him about them and he said he just got them in a week ago and didn't know much about them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

any ballistic information printed on the box? specifically interested in velocity as there is some speculation these will be slower than other 147Gn loads.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 5:12:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Nope I just checked, there's no technical information printed anywhere on it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 8:26:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes this is the mysterious new 9mm round the FBI has been testing for over a year. As far as know it is already being issued to agents that carry 9mm's and will be the officical round once the 40's are phased out.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 11:58:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yes this is the mysterious new 9mm round the FBI has been testing for over a year. As far as know it is already being issued to agents that carry 9mm's and will be the officical round once the 40's are phased out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ive heard its between 50 - 100 FPS slower than most 147Gn ammo. if true the guns should last even longer and even less recoil.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 1:46:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Ive heard its between 50 - 100 FPS slower than most 147Gn ammo. if true the guns should last even longer and even less recoil.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would like to see there standard pressure 124gr to make Docs list.  And at 50 to 100fps slower than the standard 1150fps.

Even though the standard pressure 124gr loads have a faster velocity than 147gr . In my pistol (P30)the speer lawman 124gr load seems to have less recoil than the lawman 147gr.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:52:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Just got some of this. The headstamp is marked "13," which would corroborate the story that the FBI has been testing it for about a year. Here's the link to some pics:

http://handgunplanet.com/news/first-look-speer-gold-dot-g2-ammo/

I'll chrono it and shoot some gel as soon as I have a chance to get to the range and set everything up.

(Headstamp is 2013)

(Showing the elastomer insert)
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 5:04:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Please I anyone run cross any of the Speer G2 loads  let me /us know.

Speer wish list
158gr. G2  38spl +P

All fixed sighted 38/357 J&K frame have a POA/POI that = 158gr  ( the old FBI load  158grSWC H.P.)

I would compromise  and go as low as 147gr ( Like the 38spl  Federal Hydra Shok  147gr +P+)

I found the 148WC come pretty close to POA/POI
View Quote

I'd like to see that too, but it's my understanding that the reason the .38spl GD's are 135gn is because the bullet would be too long if it were any heavier.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top