Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2014 5:13:20 PM EDT
What am I in for?

One thing I will say, I've heard really good things about this ammo. Ordering was easy. I ordered today and already got the shipping notification. Unbelievable.

Going to Yellowstone at the end of the month and wanted to take a load that would perform a little better than jhp on smaller four legged critters should we be "harassed," though I sincerely doubt it would happen.

Before anyone questions why a small pistol like the Shield, it's because it is the only pistol I own.

eta: G19 in the house now. Looks like I'll be packing it for any hikes we take.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:28:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:13:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I wouldn't do it. I'm sure Underwood makes some good ammo, but I don't think the Shield will hold up too well to it. I've shot a LOT of +P+ from different guns (mainly Winchester 127 grain +P+ Ranger T) and the guns I've shot it out of have faired well EXCEPT FOR ONE. The Shield. I recently got done trying out some "other brand" +P+ 147 grain loads out of it and all the ammo had a bulge where the feed ramp was. One even ruptured and spewed gas down the length of the grip frame. I accidentally shot one round of the Winchester +P+ and the case was also bulged.

All guns owners manuals say not to use +P+ out of their 9mm guns. My Kahr K9 and my Glock 17 say this also as does my Shield manual. The difference between the first two guns and the Shield, is the Shield manual really means it won't take +P+.

Do yourself a favor and don't do it. +P is good, but I wouldn't chance +P+.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:31:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, just saw the other thread. The only other company doing 147 grain +P in a flat nose design that I have found is Double Tap.

If anyone has any suggestions for comparable loads, I'm all ears.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:55:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, don't do it man.  If you your dying for hotter loads look in the 124 +p range.  You really don't need +p IMHO.  Plenty of standard pressure stuff out there that performs well out of short barrels; i.e. HST, Gold Dot, hell, even Critical Duty.  DUTY, not defense.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:19:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah, don't do it man.  If you your dying for hotter loads look in the 124 +p range.  You really don't need +p IMHO.  Plenty of standard pressure stuff out there that performs well out of short barrels; i.e. HST, Gold Dot, hell, even Critical Duty.  DUTY, not defense.
View Quote

Well, I was looking for a non-jhp load that would give good penetration against medium sized critters. I figured 147 grain, being about the heaviest load available in 9mm, would give good penetration.

I was originally looking for a hard cast bullet, but there doesn't seem to be anything like that. I think the consensus is that for a "woods" sidearm, 9mm just isn't an optimal caliber so there aren't many loads offered for that purpose.

The only other one I have found is the Double Tap 147 grain +p flat nose fmj round.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:31:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm picking up what you're putting down.  Honestly, if you encounter a bear, or a cougar, and your protection gun is a 9mm shield, just plan on being eaten.  I was out in the black hills for a while and carried a .357.  With that, I still accepted that chances of me defeating a pissed off bear with it were slim.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:49:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm picking up what you're putting down.  Honestly, if you encounter a bear, or a cougar, and your protection gun is a 9mm shield, just plan on being eaten.  I was out in the black hills for a while and carried a .357.  With that, I still accepted that chances of me defeating a pissed off bear with it were slim.
View Quote

So, you're saying I should just pack a Tomahawk and go Conan on the bastard?
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 8:53:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Well, I was inspired to pick up a G19 for the Underwood. I'll be taking it out this week to put some of the ammunition through it just to make sure there won't be any catastrophic failures, explosions, etc.

I realize that 9mm is still an anemic round for defense against a determined animal, but at least I'll have the capacity to throw more rounds down range to give the wife time to escape before I die a horrible, painful death.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 12:03:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Well, I was inspired to pick up a G19 for the Underwood. I'll be taking it out this week to put some of the ammunition through it just to make sure there won't be any catastrophic failures, explosions, etc.

I realize that 9mm is still an anemic round for defense against a determined animal, but at least I'll have the capacity to throw more rounds down range to give the wife time to escape before I die a horrible, painful death.
View Quote

The G19 should work, although the +P+ 127 grain Winchester I used was shot out of a Gen 2 G17.

Also, the company I ordered from has a tendency to use Starline brass in their 9mm +P+ loads. This is the weakest brass to use, but the 127 grain Winchester did show a similar bulge in the one case I fired.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:33:06 AM EDT
[#10]
For SD /LE

I would stick with the better known loads from ATK Federal/Speer/Win /Rem
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 4:46:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Good call on the G19.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:16:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The G19 should work, although the +P+ 127 grain Winchester I used was shot out of a Gen 2 G17.

Also, the company I ordered from has a tendency to use Starline brass in their 9mm +P+ loads. This is the weakest brass to use, but the 127 grain Winchester did show a similar bulge in the one case I fired.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's amazing to me that they use it then especially for such a stout load.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:18:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Good call on the G19.
View Quote

I keep coming back…

Snagged a Gen3 with titanium striker and Royal Arms trigger for $515 OTD (not a steal, but not bad with the extras). Looks like it has had maybe a box of ammo put through it - great shape. 2012 production.

Came with four 10 round Cali mags, but I'm trying to get rid of those to recoup a little of the cost. I have a bunch of standard capacity mags anyway so I'm not sweating it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:53:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's probably cheap and all they could find at the time. I don't want to give Starline a bad name, but my Winchester brass did the same thing. It might have even ruptured if I had fired more than one round out of it. Mixed magazine full of different loads. The only reason I knew it was a +P+ load after I fired it, was the fact that Winchester uses brass colored primers. When I reload I used CCI primers which are silver colored.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 11:03:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Put a box through the 19 yesterday just to make sure it worked with the titanium striker and the factory smooth face trigger I dropped in.

I fired 10 rounds, also, of the Underwood 147 grn +P+ without issue. No bulged or ruptured cases. It was surprisingly more mild than I expected it to be.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 7:23:19 PM EDT
[#16]
I started to say you were crazy, but then I thought about feral pigs.  Wouldn't pick a 9mm for this but given no other choice, a +P+ solid might be the way to go.

As for issues, a quality ammo manufacturer going over SAAMI spec's would be really, really rare.  You could have something like a inset bullet, but again, rare stuff.  M&P's and Shields have been known to have the occasional defect leading to a round being unsupported in the chamber or firing out of battery.  A +P+ load would probably raise your risk of something bad happening if that were the case.  Glock is supposed to have fixed this sort of thing.  All in all, wouldn't worry about it.  You're more likely to fall and break your leg or get hit by lightning.

And yea.. a .357 for a woods gun.  Shot for snakes.  Solids for everything else.  It's the perfect choice for Texas and New Mexico so maybe as you expand your collection it will be something to consider.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 9:24:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I started to say you were crazy, but then I thought about feral pigs.  Wouldn't pick a 9mm for this but given no other choice, a +P+ solid might be the way to go.

As for issues, a quality ammo manufacturer going over SAAMI spec's would be really, really rare.  You could have something like a inset bullet, but again, rare stuff.  M&P's and Shields have been known to have the occasional defect leading to a round being unsupported in the chamber or firing out of battery.  A +P+ load would probably raise your risk of something bad happening if that were the case.  Glock is supposed to have fixed this sort of thing.  All in all, wouldn't worry about it.  You're more likely to fall and break your leg or get hit by lightning.

And yea.. a .357 for a woods gun.  Shot for snakes.  Solids for everything else.  It's the perfect choice for Texas and New Mexico so maybe as you expand your collection it will be something to consider.
View Quote

Glock never had a problem with their 9mms. Only the .40s were problematic. They fixed that several years ago with an improved feed ramp. Also some of the early .40 brass was at fault, too thin cases.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:09:05 AM EDT
[#18]
I've fired a few rounds through my shield of gold dot 115+p+ and gold dot 124+p just because it's my everyday carry load and wanted to make sure it functioned and how it felt. The recoil was substantial but other than that I don't see and extra wear or anything of that nature on the pistol? Granted I have only fired maybe 30-40 rounds so it's not something id do every day but I say if it's the load you plan to carry fire at least a mag or 2 just so you get the feel for it and know what to expect if you ever need to fire it in a self defense situation. This is just my opinion and a practice that I've used for years.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:53:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What am I in for?

One thing I will say, I've heard really good things about this ammo. Ordering was easy. I ordered today and already got the shipping notification. Unbelievable.

Going to Yellowstone at the end of the month and wanted to take a load that would perform a little better than jhp on smaller four legged critters should we be "harassed," though I sincerely doubt it would happen.

Before anyone questions why a small pistol like the Shield, it's because it is the only pistol I own.

eta: G19 in the house now. Looks like I'll be packing it for any hikes we take.
View Quote

CONGRATS on your new G19

Sub compact 9mm are for back up carry! The have more recoil making it harder to shoot. (like doing bill drills
Plus they are harder to aim because of the short sight radius. I never could shoot one as good as a 4inch compact at 15Y to 25/50Y
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:56:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Glock never had a problem with their 9mms. Only the .40s were problematic. They fixed that several years ago with an improved feed ramp. Also some of the early .40 brass was at fault, too thin cases.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are kidding right.

There been trouble with the Gen 4 and gen 3 9mm.  You haven't seen or heard all the complaints in the last couple of years.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 11:39:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You are kidding right.

There been trouble with the Gen 4 and gen 3 9mm.  You haven't seen or heard all the complaints in the last couple of years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are kidding right.

Of what problems are you referring to? BTF? Lousy trigger pulls? Hanging stuff off the picatinny rails and jamming the gun up (cured in Gen 4 guns)?
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 6:44:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Well, I was looking for a non-jhp load that would give good penetration against medium sized critters. I figured 147 grain, being about the heaviest load available in 9mm, would give good penetration.

I was originally looking for a hard cast bullet, but there doesn't seem to be anything like that. I think the consensus is that for a "woods" sidearm, 9mm just isn't an optimal caliber so there aren't many loads offered for that purpose.

The only other one I have found is the Double Tap 147 grain +p flat nose fmj round.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

9mm is plenty capable of putting down dirtbags... I seem to remember a true shitbag being put down by a 9 not too long ago. In my opinion, 9+P+... you defeat the advantages of a 9mm. You might as well go to a heavier caliber with the recoil your going to experience with 9+P+... THESE should work just fine for the woods OP...
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 2:46:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not optimal

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top