Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2014 7:54:58 PM EDT
A guy I work with (who happens to be a few pennies short of a dollar) was talking about guns today. He eventually came to the topic of ammo, and was telling everyone in the shop that he SWEARS by R.I.P ammo. I've seen this stuff before, haven't really heard much about them. What's the hive say about them? Anything good? Garbage?
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 8:44:55 PM EDT
[#1]
We had several threads.  

They went pretty much the way you would expect.  

Just like EXTREME SHOCK!!!

Except without the painted Black fake OPERATOR!!!
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 9:28:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Another pretty face in the ammo world...

Link Posted: 7/2/2014 8:04:14 AM EDT
[#3]
It's overhyped garbage.Why would you want a round that's going to fragment into numerous lightweight under penetrating pieces?If you look at the company video for it it's very misleading.There's no scale on the gel so you can't tell if it is penetrating 2,4,6,8,10,or 12 inches?The gel they use is clear,every calibrated ballistic gel I've ever seen is a amber,opaque color.

I remember the salespitch sounded like a TV used car ad."Massive expansion,hole saw effect,last round you'll ever need,defeats all known barriers" etc.Just do a search here on this,the bullshit is neckdeep on this round.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 9:38:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Less than 4 inches penetration into ballistic gelatin .
That translates into 2 inches into a human body after  going through clothes

JUNK for self defense

good for shooting rats at the landfill and similar stuff
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 10:03:36 AM EDT
[#5]
A few of the LGS are pimping this garbage as the Holy Grail of self defense ammo.  People seem interested until they see the $50 for 20rd price tag.  

No thanks, I'll stick with my HST rounds.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 10:11:38 AM EDT
[#6]
There's a great video on the Youtubes of RIP's 97gr 9mm being shot through a windshield.  

It was compared side-by-side to 124gr HST.  

Let's just say I'll be sticking with HST and Gold Dots.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 10:17:12 AM EDT
[#7]
I want some to play around with, but I'm not paying those prices!
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 2:15:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Less than 4 inches penetration into ballistic gelatin .
That translates into 2 inches into a human body after  going through clothes

JUNK for self defense

good for shooting rats at the landfill and similar stuff
View Quote

Pretty pricey ammo to use for rats, so i'd say it's not even good for that.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 5:10:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, I figured as much. Seemed too gimmicky to be all that they say it is. Thanks everyone!
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 7:57:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 12:46:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Use what works, wouldn't change that for anything. Personally, Gold Dots and Critical Duty.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 1:08:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
A guy I work with (who happens to be a few pennies short of a dollar) was talking about guns today. He eventually came to the topic of ammo, and was telling everyone in the shop that he SWEARS by R.I.P ammo. I've seen this stuff before, haven't really heard much about them. What's the hive say about them? Anything good? Garbage?
View Quote

R.I.P. stands for Retarded Idiot Person.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 2:04:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Actual ballistic performance is dismal. Feeling too lazy to pull up the tests, but if you search specifically for RIP Ammo ballistic tests, you'll see for yourself. Just a gimmick. A very expensive gimmick.
View Quote

Yeah, it's a gimmick. It seems like some gimmick ammo comes along every two years or so
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 4:33:01 PM EDT
[#14]
You should ask him if it's worked for him in self-defense shootings.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top