Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2014 10:40:38 AM EDT
I'm typically not a huge fan of Winchester ammo except for the Ranger defense rounds. I've recently discovered that the American Eagle 147 Flat Point (AE9FP) is the softest recoiling, most accurate round that I've shot out of my G34. But I'm having trouble finding it. However, just came across a bunch of the Winchester "Train" 147 9mm and so far I've had 1 person say that it is very comparable to the AE9FP. Anyone try it out yet? Going to need to get something soon for an upcoming course.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:26:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 7:00:45 AM EDT
[#2]
I got a sample of it and it is loaded a bit softer than the AE in my opinion. Haven't chrono'd it yet, but it's supposed to be 950 fps, which would correspond to the way it felt. I would have already published a review but I have to rebuild my entire site before I publish anything else because of a software issue. I'll be sure to post that as well as the gel comparison between the 147 grain "Defend" and  PDX1 in 9mm when I get it up. But it does burn relatively cleanly and it's been pretty accurate in my guns so far.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 9:27:20 AM EDT
[#3]
old school tag.

ETA:  I ran across a lot of this stuff in Bass Pro recently, but didn't buy any because I'm not familiar with it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 2:15:51 PM EDT
[#4]
All Winchester is doing is taking a handful of their USA brand FMJ ammo and a handful of their PDX1 ammo and putting it into new boxes and calling it "Train & Defend" ammo.

Nothing more, nothing less...
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 3:08:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 3:15:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It appears to be loaded lighter than WWB.
View Quote

It's also a different bullet and a different primer than either the Super X or the USA. But yeah, other than all of that it's exactly the same

The bullet in the Defend also looks like the older PDX1 style; it's different than the newest iteration of PDX1 Defender.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 1:19:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, I knew the "D" was very similar to the PDX / Ranger but the "T" is supposed to be something new, or so I'm told. Won't have a chance to shoot it until next week sometime. I just am hoping that it is as soft and accurate as the AE9FP 147gr.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 12:13:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I purchased 350 rounds of the stuff. Its good for target practice. Being a 147 grain thought it was pretty accurate out of my Glock 19.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top