Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2014 8:04:44 PM EDT
I just finished breaking in my 1911 and I'm ready to start carrying it.

I shot two different brands of HP thru her today and they both performed flawlessly.

One of the brands had a major fireball that was rather distracting but had a much more mild recoil that allowed for faster follow-up shots.

The other had no fireball but much more recoil and thus a slower follow-up.

The question is, which would you prefer in a carry ammo.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:10:23 PM EDT
[#1]
In the day-time, fireball is no problem.

In the night, well, it can be.

I would probably settle on the least fireworks, as long as the recoil was still manageable.

This is assuming that both perform comparably in gelatin tests.

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:22:21 PM EDT
[#2]
They are two of the most reputable ammo choices.

I omitted the names so I don't hear "x is better than y"
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 11:45:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I used to carry the 127 +P+ Rangers in my G19. They had a pretty good flash for me but it wasn't a big deal unless it was pitch dark.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:33:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I would probably go with what ever is on the "list". Fireballs generally don't stop people unless they are soaked in gasoline.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 12:39:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Considering most self-defense scenarios occur at night, I'd go with the option that didn't have muzzle flash. That can destroy your night vision.

That said, there are plenty of low-flash options that are also lower-recoil, so it could be that you need to look for "option C."
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 2:25:30 PM EDT
[#6]
i'd go less flashy.

clown
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 1:08:56 AM EDT
[#7]
I carry Speer Gold Dot in my 9mm.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 11:31:09 PM EDT
[#8]
If equivalent performance wrt the FBI/IWBA criteria then the one with the lower flash.
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 7:38:19 AM EDT
[#9]
All else being equal low flash ammunition is a better carry choice IMO.
Link Posted: 5/10/2014 12:31:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Remington Golden Saber .45 ACP 230 gr.
Link Posted: 5/10/2014 12:31:40 AM EDT
[#11]
sorry posted double.
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 11:25:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Are you purposely omitting the brand names?  Plenty of people have good advice on actual brand and bullet weight defensive ammo.  Feel free to open up and ask outright.  Federal, Speer, Remington, Hornady, Winchester, and many more have great defensive loadings out there for pistols.  It's all about finding what your gun likes to shoot, and what you shoot well.  I'd worry less about the fireball and more about what you absolutely shoot the best.  After-all, you might need to actually use it someday, and I guarantee you in the moment, you won't see, or hear anything other than the bandit you're sights are on.
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 11:30:37 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd probably try a few more loads. It doesn't sound like you were 100% happy with either one you tried.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 11:25:44 AM EDT
[#14]
The one that has the higest energy  ( foot pounds )   at 25 feet
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 7:29:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Low flash.
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 3:00:56 PM EDT
[#16]
I would choose neither.
The one to pick is the one that (in order):
1) feeds and cycles reliably in your gun.
2) meets IWBA criteria (see ammo FAQ); almost all of these will have flash-suppressed powder.
3) you shoot best.

If everything on The List recoils too much, then you're going to have to either shoot more to get used to managing the recoil, and/or move to a gun/cartridge combo that is more manageable for you. N.B.: This does not necessarily mean "stepping down" to something less effective.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 8:52:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Underwood, Elite Ammunition, & Buffalo Bore make some of the hottest ammo I know of.
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 7:55:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Underwood, Elite Ammunition, & Buffalo Bore make some of the hottest ammo I know of.
View Quote

Underwood might be too hot, use at your own risk
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 10:25:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I would choose neither.
2) meets IWBA criteria (see ammo FAQ); almost all of these will have flash-suppressed powder.
3) you shoot best.

If everything on The List recoils too much, then you're going to have to either shoot more to get used to managing the recoil, and/or move to a gun/cartridge combo that is more manageable for you. N.B.: This does not necessarily mean "stepping down" to something less effective.
View Quote

YES.  Listen to the PigBat.  

What's a PigBat?
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 11:04:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

What's a PigBat?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would choose neither.
3) you shoot best.

What's a PigBat?

See avatar. My beloved and dearly-departed ACD, affectionately called PigBat for his appearance as a pup: pig nose, bat ears. He grew into both and became a stunning-looking Cattle Dog. Hemangiosarcoma took him too soon.  
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 4:20:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

See avatar. My beloved and dearly-departed ACD, affectionately called PigBat for his appearance as a pup: pig nose, bat ears. He grew into both and became a stunning-looking Cattle Dog. Hemangiosarcoma took him too soon.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would choose neither.
3) you shoot best.

What's a PigBat?

Bless his heart. I bet he was a cutie as a pup. Sorry for your loss.

That being said, I agree whole heartedly with PigBat's conclusions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top