Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2014 7:16:40 AM EDT
Well, I was in a hurry and I screwed this test up a bit. I forgot to bring my camera and my BB gun so I didn't produce a video or get a calibration figure immediately before testing. I did calibrate it at home a few days before the test but technically it's supposed to be done immediately before the test. I still thought it would be worth sharing the results. I'll repeat the JSP test and do it properly since I wanted to see the JSP from a carbine anyway.

125 gr GDHP over 14.0gr AA9 from carbine:

Impact velocity: 1,904 fps
Penetration: 10.7"
Retained weight: 50.8gr
Max expansion: 0.567"
Min expansion: 0.443"

158gr Speer JSP over 13.0 gr AA9 from revolver:

Impact velocity:1,108 fps
Penetration: 17.1"
Retained weight: 157.4 gr
Max expansion: 0.655"
Min expansion: 0.450"

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 4:03:44 PM EDT
[#1]
17''......that thing is a BEAST!  In all of our searchings for the "best" rounds, there ain't much that hits like an old .357.  But we however go for 15 rounds instead, myself included.  I may have to go clean up the old 686....
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 7:40:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I concur. I am rediscovering my love of the .357 mag. It is reasonably powerful for a handgun. It is incredibly versatile. .357 revolvers have been the only firearms with which I can consistently (4/6 or better) hit a torso sized target (empty refrigerant canister) at 100 yards offhand. A 4" .357 carries really well and it's hard to beat a factory Smith & Wesson trigger. Now my wife has a Rossi M92 and I'm even more impressed with the cartridge's ability from a rifle barrel.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 7:48:13 PM EDT
[#3]
One day I will find a lever gun at the right price and take it home. We have become so spoiled with newer cartridges we forget how good some of the old ones can be,

Thanks for the tests. 1900 fps gold dot could be a pretty awesome thing for just about any kind of problem I might have
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 7:58:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 10:58:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
One day I will find a lever gun at the right price and take it home. We have become so spoiled with newer cartridges we forget how good some of the old ones can be,

Thanks for the tests. 1900 fps gold dot could be a pretty awesome thing for just about any kind of problem I might have
View Quote

At 1900 FPS and penetration at a hair over 10", it wouldnt be the best choice....

ETA- Well, maybe not a hair....
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 11:10:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

At 1900 FPS and penetration at a hair over 10", it wouldnt be the best choice....

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am well aware of the FBI standard but do not necessarily hold it as a absolute necessity. My main uses would be on critters and it would be just fine for that.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 2:20:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I am well aware of the FBI standard but do not necessarily hold it as a absolute necessity. My main uses would be on critters and it would be just fine for that.
View Quote

Im certain you could make rabbits to acrobatics....

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 5:14:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Im certain you could make rabbits to acrobatics aerobatics....

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Im certain you could make rabbits to acrobatics aerobatics....

I'm sure it would annihilate them. Probably wreck coyotes and javelina too.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:54:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I concur. I am rediscovering my love of the .357 mag. It is reasonably powerful for a handgun. It is incredibly versatile. .357 revolvers have been the only firearms with which I can consistently (4/6 or better) hit a torso sized target (empty refrigerant canister) at 100 yards offhand. A 4" .357 carries really well and it's hard to beat a factory Smith & Wesson trigger. Now my wife has a Rossi M92 and I'm even more impressed with the cartridge's ability from a rifle barrel.
View Quote

I use to have several S&W K & L frames in my collection.

But the one I like best was a 3inch GP100 Loaded with 38spl+P 158gr SWC HP carried AIWB

I`ve  been thinking of going back to the revolver as a primary. Still carry a M642 as a bug

To this day I still shoot more accurately using a revolver.

Been thinking of a another GP100 3inch or a 3inch 686.

But of coarse I will load it with 38spl+P !

Doing Bill Drills using a heavy 3inch 357magnum  and using 38spl+P  .Is like cheating.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:30:02 PM EDT
[#10]
You'rd over powering the 125 GD round. You've got under expansion and a pretty severe loss of mass. The 158gd round is performing up to spec as demonstrated by the data.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:34:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Have you shot any of these tests with Barnes bullets out of a rifle or carbine? I feel like they would probably do well.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:13:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You'rd over powering the 125 GD round. You've got under expansion and a pretty severe loss of mass. The 158gd round is performing up to spec as demonstrated by the data.
View Quote

LOL, yeah. I knew that the rifle would push that bullet far beyond its design limits but I still wanted to see it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:23:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Have you shot any of these tests with Barnes bullets out of a rifle or carbine? I feel like they would probably do well.
View Quote

I have not yet, but based on my results with Buffalo Bore 140 gr XPB, I'd expect it to penetrate very deeply because it looks as though all the petals would shear off. That might not really be so bad. It ought to still create substantial tissue disruption in the first 10"-12" but also penetrate very deeply. I hope to have a chance to test it someday soon.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top