Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/13/2014 7:23:08 AM EDT
When I first started carrying 10-15yrs ago, I used hydras.  A few years later it was Rangers.  For the last few years it's been Gold Dots.  

Yesterday when I picked up my new(est) G19 I asked if they had any 9mm hollow points...yup...a whole shelf full of different brands.  Any bonded?  Oh...um...hmm...maybe in the back.  Nope!! Not a single bonded round in 9mm!  Now they did have some PDX1 for the .40 and .45 so it's not like they were slacking on what they carried.

But now I'm looking for another box or two of defense ammo and I'm curious if bonded is still the best thing to look for or is there another latest/greatest out there?  What's the latest whiz-bang in the ammo world?  Or is the Gold Dot, bonded Rangers, and PDX1 still the best to look for?  

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 7:31:25 AM EDT
[#1]
147 gr +P Federal HST
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 10:01:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
147 gr +P Federal HST
View Quote

FTW!

First post nails it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 1:01:37 PM EDT
[#3]
If you want a non bonded the 147 HST is awesome. I sell it out so fast that I do not even bring it in to the shop. I leave it on the dock when it is delivered in the am, label it and it ships out in the pm. Ranger T-Series also goes fast.

If you want bonded then Ranger bonded ie PDX or Gold Dot are hot items.

We are lucky today that bullet technology exploded in the late part of the 90's and early into the 2000. When talking about these Law Enforcement grade loads they are all made to meet or exceed the same standard. It does not matter the brand or caliber you like. The playing field is so level that it requires digital calibers to measure the difference between the best performing and the worst.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 9:16:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I like federal tactical bonded 135 grain +p
Link Posted: 3/14/2014 5:18:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok, so now for the important part...who has the best pricing on a box or two?  

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 3/14/2014 8:48:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thanks

-Emt1581
View Quote

The answer is always SGAmmo.com

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/14/2014 9:53:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Where you getting those Outlaw?
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 3:07:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thanks

-Emt1581
View Quote

Pricing isn't the main concern, finding the good stuff in stock  is!
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 4:26:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Unless you are a copper, I don't think bonded is a must have.

Bonding mainly keeps bullet integrity after passing through auto glass(the toughest test of the FBI protocol.)

For CCW, shooting into or out of cars is an extreme outlier a best, and problematic at worst.

The modern hollowpoints are all excellent performers, in all weights.

I would choose what I could get enough of to thoroughly test in my gun.

There's a guy on YouTube that shoots various rounds from inside wrecked cars out through the glass.

It is interesting
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 4:31:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Thanks

-Emt1581
View Quote

SGAmmo has 147 gr bonded Ranger
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 7:32:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

-Emt1581

FYI if you are thinking about the bonded Ranger. Link
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 8:02:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Bonding mainly keeps bullet integrity after passing through auto glass(the toughest test of the FBI protocol.)

For CCW, shooting into or out of cars is an extreme outlier a best, and problematic at worst.

There's a guy on YouTube that shoots various rounds from inside wrecked cars out through the glass.

It is interesting
View Quote

I disagree about not needing bonded unless LE.  We never know the circumstances of the shoot we will be forced to engage in.  If I do have to shoot through a windshield, interior/exterior windows (at work, in public or at home), etc.  I want to know that my bullet is going to make it through without the jacket flying off.  The jacket is what does the work in the wound channel, not the soft lead.  I'd hate to get to the point where I'm shooting and realize that my rounds aren't going to do what I need them to because I settled for non-bonded.  

As for testing in the gun, I've had guns that are complete and utter jammers and then there's the majority of guns that function flawlessly no matter what you feed them.  What I haven't had is a gun that goes from one to the other.  They either work well or they don't.  And it doesn't take many rounds, in my experience, to tell the difference.  So I do test the rounds themselves to make sure they feed.  But I don't run boxes and boxes of it through.  Not at $30 +/- per mag.  It's just not needed.  If I was that concerned I'd pour my own HP's and test them that way for $5/50rds.  But again, I just don't have that concern where I feel it takes a ton of rounds to know whether they work or not.  

-Emt1581

Link Posted: 3/15/2014 8:03:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Get the RA9B or BA the warning was on a specific contract production run.
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 8:03:52 AM EDT
[#14]
What I'm going to do is use some of my Cabela's points and have a box or two shipped to the store 20min. up the road.  I think I'm going to go with the PDX1 147gr.  Any reason not to go with that in favor of something better?

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 9:36:57 AM EDT
[#15]
I have the same loaded in my FD issued Glock right now.
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 10:07:46 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm a big fan of the HST 147 grain load.

I don't shoot the 147 +P, as that defeats the purpose of the 147 which is to penetrate deeply to reach the vital organs.

Driving 9mm bullets faster accelerates expansion and reduces penetration in most cases.

HST 147 is one of the rounds that consistantly will pass 12" to the 14" or so depth in FBI testing.
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 10:42:34 AM EDT
[#17]
hell I still run Rangers.  124gr +p
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 2:35:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I disagree about not needing bonded unless LE.  We never know the circumstances of the shoot we will be forced to engage in.  If I do have to shoot through a windshield, interior/exterior windows (at work, in public or at home), etc.  I want to know that my bullet is going to make it through without the jacket flying off.  The jacket is what does the work in the wound channel, not the soft lead.  I'd hate to get to the point where I'm shooting and realize that my rounds aren't going to do what I need them to because I settled for non-bonded.  

As for testing in the gun, I've had guns that are complete and utter jammers and then there's the majority of guns that function flawlessly no matter what you feed them.  What I haven't had is a gun that goes from one to the other.  They either work well or they don't.  And it doesn't take many rounds, in my experience, to tell the difference.  So I do test the rounds themselves to make sure they feed.  But I don't run boxes and boxes of it through.  Not at $30 +/- per mag.  It's just not needed.  If I was that concerned I'd pour my own HP's and test them that way for $5/50rds.  But again, I just don't have that concern where I feel it takes a ton of rounds to know whether they work or not.  

-Emt1581

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is interesting

-Emt1581

Well, the devil's in the details concerning penetration after glass.

I first got a copy of the FBI protocol in 1997.

This version still had the infamous W value.

The load I carried at the time(Federal 115 gr. 9bple) was listed as a failure.

Well, that's disconcerting.

So I dug into the asterisks.

Turns out the reason it failed was it only penetrated 7.5" through heavy clothing(which preceded the now standard 4 layers of denim) after passing through 45 degree angled auto glass.

That was the only test it failed to reach 14" on(the old min.)

Er, okay FBI.

You're picking an excellent round, certainly.

I just view the FBI protocol--even the revised versions--askance.

They have an Agenda. Not a malicious one, at all.

But the lesson they "learned" in Miami about penetration was informed by this traumatized agenda.

Just my 2 centavos

Edit:sperling and old penetration minimum depth
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 6:17:54 AM EDT
[#19]
In a word, NO. The 147 issues have been discussed a million times over, bullet design doesn't mask the problems inherent with the 147, a mid weight +P is the load for the 9mm. A 124/125/127 is where it's at.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 7:29:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
In a word, NO. The 147 issues have been discussed a million times over, bullet design doesn't mask the problems inherent with the 147, a mid weight +P is the load for the 9mm. A 124/125/127 is where it's at.
View Quote

What are the inherent problems with the 147 grain load that you are referring to? I don't disagree that midweight +p loads perform well, but pretty much all modern 147 grain loads perform as well or better than the midweight loadings.  You don't get to compare old designs like Federal 9MS or WWB 147grn JHP against the 124gen +p Gold Dot of today.  Me, I carry both weights, but I'm not going to cast aspersions on a given round  based on outdated or specious information.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 7:31:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
What I'm going to do is use some of my Cabela's points and have a box or two shipped to the store 20min. up the road.  I think I'm going to go with the PDX1 147gr.  Any reason not to go with that in favor of something better?

Thanks

-Emt1581
View Quote

Those will work just fine.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 10:07:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

What are the inherent problems with the 147 grain load that you are referring to? I don't disagree that midweight +p loads perform well, but pretty much all modern 147 grain loads perform as well or better than the midweight loadings.  You don't get to compare old designs like Federal 9MS or WWB 147grn JHP against the 124gen +p Gold Dot of today.  Me, I carry both weights, but I'm not going to cast aspersions on a given round  based on outdated or specious information.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I want to hear this one too. Both rounds are very similar in terminal performance IMO.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 10:21:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Lots of folks still base their negative opinions of the 147 grain loadings on the original ones from long ago.

These are often the folks that still think the HydaShok is GTG, or that Silvertips are "fight stoppers".

Modern projectile designs have changed the old accepted norms of what is acceptable performance of a handgun in self defense use.

Here is another tip.  The world isn't flat.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 12:05:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I want to hear this one too. Both rounds are very similar in terminal performance IMO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nframe is living in the past, or he's reading old info.  Modern 147g bullets (HST, Gold Dots, Ranger...) open up just as well as the lighter alternatives, and have other benefits (greater sectional density, easier follow up shots, stay subsonic for suppressor use) when compared to the +p 124g varieties.  I used to carry 124g +p, and now I carry 147g HST or Gold Dots (whichever can get my hands on).  I would not hesitate to carry any of Winchester's 147g Ranger varieties, as long as I tested them in my guns first.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 9:03:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Handgun ammo changed forever when the Ranger T-Series hit the streets back in 1998. HST followed in 2001 and Gold Dot SB in 2008.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 2:24:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Nframe is living in the past, or he's reading old info.  Modern 147g bullets (HST, Gold Dots, Ranger...) open up just as well as the lighter alternatives, and have other benefits (greater sectional density, easier follow up shots, stay subsonic for suppressor use) when compared to the +p 124g varieties.  I used to carry 124g +p, and now I carry 147g HST or Gold Dots (whichever can get my hands on).  I would not hesitate to carry any of Winchester's 147g Ranger varieties, as long as I tested them in my guns first.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.   For some reason people seem to have a hard time understanding that the important part is penetration.  Penetration scales with sectional density.  9mm 147 grain bullets have the highest sectional density of any of the major calibers.  It has better sectional density than .45 cal 230 grain bullets.  Simple physics.   Given penetration and expansion there is no reason to use a +p load.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 6:02:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Ammo technology has passed the need for higher pressure +P and +P+ loads. Speaking as a retailer there is still plenty of people that want higher pressure loads because they are fun to shoot or they just are 16 years behind like the people that think 147gr are junk. Either way so long as there is a market they will keep making +P ammo.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 10:50:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got a local LEO buddy of mine that gets them for me.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 10:57:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was looking at old invoices today. It has been almost a year since I had LE9T5 in stock.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 1:04:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I was looking at old invoices today. It has been almost a year since I had LE9T5 in stock.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You need to remedy that man!
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 1:12:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would rather see some P9HST2.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 2:12:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I ordered more the day after obumduh kicked Romney butt at the debates.
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 11:10:36 AM EDT
[#33]
I admit I'm strange I chose a 124 standard pressure for my new P30S 9mm

1st pick would be Federal Tactical 124gr followed by 124gr HST ( yes I know 124HST isn't on the Doc list)

The 147 have some kick  in my P30S 9mm and the 124 are mild.

My P229 40cal 180gr is softer shooting.

But yes the 9mm 147 are excellent SD loads

Link Posted: 3/19/2014 8:10:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Ammo technology has passed the need for higher pressure +P and +P+ loads. Speaking as a retailer there is still plenty of people that want higher pressure loads because they are fun to shoot or they just are 16 years behind like the people that think 147gr are junk. Either way so long as there is a market they will keep making +P ammo.
View Quote

I dunno, I could swear I remember Doc Roberts saying something about Ranger-T as an example, where the punch dies to cut the cavity would dull, and production lots toward the end of the punch's life tended to need a little more V to expand as advertised, so in some loads (I think RA45T was his example here) the +P was preferred to guarantee expansion even with a worn-down die cutting the cavity. (i.e. RA45TP was preferred, slightly, over RA45T for the insurance factor)

Not sure how well this applies anymore, but given the environment for ammunition companies the last 2 years or so, I could see it still being a possibility.

But I'm no expert, and this is from memory.

FWIW, my 9mm JHP of choice at present is Gold Dot 147gr. (230gr standard pressure HST in .45 Auto, also FWIW)
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 12:43:48 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I dunno, I could swear I remember Doc Roberts saying something about Ranger-T as an example, where the punch dies to cut the cavity would dull, and production lots toward the end of the punch's life tended to need a little more V to expand as advertised, so in some loads (I think RA45T was his example here) the +P was preferred to guarantee expansion even with a worn-down die cutting the cavity. (i.e. RA45TP was preferred, slightly, over RA45T for the insurance factor)

Not sure how well this applies anymore, but given the environment for ammunition companies the last 2 years or so, I could see it still being a possibility.

FWIW, my 9mm JHP of choice at present is Gold Dot 147gr. (230gr standard pressure HST in .45 Auto, also FWIW)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The dies are `supposed  to be replaced when needed. The only dies that I know that got real bad was the 180gr Bonded a couple of years ago. Winchester ended up
putting the ammo in White boxes and selling them to regular Winchester dealers instead of Ranger dealers. Places like Wal Mart had tons of it cheap.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 3:42:24 PM EDT
[#36]
I just buy whatever is available.  Right now that's GD 124 +P.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 7:04:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Seriously, this is like spliting hairs.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 6:09:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Im waiting for one last bulk order from SGammo before I move back to california in a few months.  Waiting on 9mm 147gr HST (standard pressure).  Im thinking I will order 3000 rounds and then I will pretty much be set for life as far as 9mm duty ammo. Or at least for a decade lol
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 6:49:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Im waiting for one last bulk order from SGammo before I move back to california in a few months.  Waiting on 9mm 147gr HST (standard pressure).  Im thinking I will order 3000 rounds and then I will pretty much be set for life as far as 9mm duty ammo. Or at least for a decade lol
View Quote

Damn dude.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 3:01:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have to admit that it sure is fun.

If it's 124 grains or over and has Ranger, GD, or HST on the box it'll be fine.

Link Posted: 3/24/2014 9:14:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

You have to admit that it sure is fun ghey.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have to admit that it sure is fun ghey.

Same thing to some folks.

Honestly I find it annoying. Whats so hard about doing a search or scrolling down a page or two?
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 1:41:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Personally I run 147 HST standard pressure non bonded.   HST performs well through barriers despite being non bonded.    If I were going to go bonded I'd go Speer Gold Dot but mainly because that's what I have experience with.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 2:47:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Personally I run 147 HST standard pressure non bonded.   HST performs well through barriers despite being non bonded.    If I were going to go bonded I'd go Speer Gold Dot but mainly because that's what I have experience with.
View Quote

With performance like HST offers, I guess there is no real need to go bonded. That said, even though HST isn't a "bonded" bullet, the jacket/core are mechanically locked together, which seems to account for the excellent barrier performance of both HST and Critical Duty (albeit that bullet design is different).
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 9:00:58 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Damn dude.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn dude.

250 would last me for life!

I only test my pistol with Duty ammo  for POA/POI and that only take me 50rds. (5mags loaded with 10rds)  after 5mags then I know the load will feed.

After the Pistol is broken in with Ball ammo.
I don't see a need for shooting 200 rds of duty ammo just to see if it feeds

Since 1990 I haven't ran across a service pistol that wouldn't feed  Rem , Win , Fed  SD ammo .

Now I know the older P220 /P225 had a problem and the C1911.  Although I was lucky when I bought my Gen 1 80 Colt Combat Elite it was one of the first to come throated from Colt. I think I bought it in 89 or 90
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 1:33:40 PM EDT
[#45]
When I used to exclusively carry a .45acp I used 230 gr Gold Dots.  Now that I carry a Glock 19 most of the time, I have switched to the 147 gr. Federal HST.  I do have some 147 gr Gold Dot loaded in a few mags as well, but the overwhelming majority of my mags have the HST in them.  I have some beautiful recovered bullets at my house of the 147 HST shot through denim into gel. They expanded to a diameter almost as large as my .45 230 gr Gold Dots and penetration was similar too.  I was so extremely impressed with them that I switched my .45 carry ammo over to 230 gr HST's.  I haven't had a chance to shoot the 45's into gel yet, but I'm pretty confident that they would be as impressive as the 9mm 147 HST's.  If I get the opportunity and I remember, I will look for my recovered bullets and post a pic.
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 1:38:29 PM EDT
[#46]
I keep my PPS and P99c stoked with the 147 HSTs.

It's very accurate out of both pistols, and the heavy 147 looses a smaller percentage of it's velocity out of the shorter barrel than a +P 124 grain projectile does, so I know it will have the velocity necessary to expand
properly.

Win/win.
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 1:53:20 PM EDT
[#47]
I was given a couple boxes of Winchester elite PDX1 Defender 147gr bj hp.
What's the opinion on these? They will be out of a G19.
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 9:39:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Nobody?
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 3:06:37 AM EDT
[#49]
Pretty much the same thing as a bonded Ranger, only in a lower count package at a higher price.

Link Posted: 3/28/2014 5:55:37 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I was given a couple boxes of Winchester elite PDX1 Defender 147gr bj hp.
What's the opinion on these? They will be out of a G19.
View Quote

They're really good rounds. I like those and the Bonded Ranger *almost* as much as T-Series
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top