Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2015 10:49:00 AM EDT
I have an XDM 5.25 in 9mm. It has no less then 10000 rounds handloads thru it. Last year is developed a hair line crack in the breech face. Springfield installed a new slide no problem but another crack is developing in the same place.
I do not load hot rounds. If the load data calls for 4.4gr to 4.8gr I load 4.6gr. I shoot jacketed or plated bullets only.
Since the first crack developed I've been checking the breech face after every outing. I noticed this recent crack after shooting 12 rounds  with 100 grain bullets over less than maximum charges along with my regular 124gr. loads.
I'm going to return the gun to S/A for repair but I need to know if I am doing something wrong or is this due to design or materials.
I like the XDM 5.25 a lot and want to keep using it. I even bought a 2nd XDM 5.25 but in .45 auto.

Any ideas on this issue?

Thanks for your time
VonBark
EDIT to say the current slide has no more than 1500 rounds on it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 8:36:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Is SA pushing things or bad QA?

Correctly hardening slides has been difficult forever.

Less important in a low pressure design for .45 ACP but still not error free.

The mass of the rear of the slide and the non-uniform sections in the slide have a long history of being an issue in heat treat.

Are they inadvertently leaving parts hard enough to be brittle with interior stress remaining?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top