Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2015 6:30:38 PM EDT
I'm thinking putting together a range gun might be fun.  I've seen frames etc available.  Have searched but not found much here.  Some reading suggests that at my level (1st pistol project, low to moderate expected round count) that SS vs 4140 really doesn't matter much.  I read a post from another site suggesting galling b/w frame and slide could be an issue and might be alleviated by using different metals.  I've not heard of this.  Any reason to go mix and match with materials?  Currently palmetto state has a ss or 4140 frame.  The 4140 is black, don't know if park or blued.  They only offer a 4140 slide currently.  So if I went with their stuff I'm looking at either 2 tone, 2 materials, or coating if I want it to look the same.  I'm not sure I care about 2 tone, some look good some don't, I'm more interested in the process and getting set up to have a functional gun if I can learn to do my part putting it together.

thoughts?  Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 10:20:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 5:30:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I get the caspian has a good reputation but my real question is about the metals?  Once I decide what I'm after then I'll start souring the parts
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 10:40:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I think any combo of modern materials will work. The SS gauling issue dates back to the first attempts of using SS ( with the wrong type of stainless). If the tolerances are right you should not experience any gauling. An advantage to getting a very good frame/slide fit is to start with an oversize slide/frame. For a beginner it is easier to remove material than to tighten those parts.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 9:38:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Dont worry about the Stainless (cres) issue that was fixed years ago.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top