Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2014 2:25:24 AM EDT
can I solder a front sight over nickel plate? i picked up a "fitz special" clone at a local pawn shop....Spanish copy of model 10.... the front sight is gone but u can see it was there at some point....
:D .... I know the fitz were colts  :D ...but for 65 bucks out the door I couldn't pass
thanx in advance
john
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 6:55:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm pretty sure you can soft solder on nickel with the right flux and solder.

However, soft solder will almost never hold a standard type revolver sight in place.
This is made worse by the "slippery" nature of nickel making solder not adhere to it very well.

Do not attempt to use actual silver solder, which melts at temps above 1100 degrees.  This will destroy nickel and most any other finish.
The "silver solder" sold in most stores is actually a soft solder with about 3% silver added to prevent it from tarnishing.  This melts at temps around 450 degrees, and is just a soft solder.
Real silver solder is actually silver braze.  Depending on the grade it starts to melt around 1100 degrees and requires a special flux specifically made for silver braze.

At the factory, revolver sights are silver soldered into shallow grooves machined in the barrel.  The combination of the tight groove and the hard solder hold them in place.
Soft solder just lacks the strength.

About all you can do is give soft solder a try.  It'll work better if you have a groove in the barrel that's a very tight fit.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 11:06:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm pretty sure you can soft solder on nickel with the right flux and solder.

However, soft solder will almost never hold a standard type revolver sight in place.
This is made worse by the "slippery" nature of nickel making solder not adhere to it very well.

Do not attempt to use actual silver solder, which melts at temps above 1100 degrees.  This will destroy nickel and most any other finish.
The "silver solder" sold in most stores is actually a soft solder with about 3% silver added to prevent it from tarnishing.  This melts at temps around 450 degrees, and is just a soft solder.
Real silver solder is actually silver braze.  Depending on the grade it starts to melt around 1100 degrees and requires a special flux specifically made for silver braze.

At the factory, revolver sights are silver soldered into shallow grooves machined in the barrel.  The combination of the tight groove and the hard solder hold them in place.
Soft solder just lacks the strength.

About all you can do is give soft solder a try.  It'll work better if you have a groove in the barrel that's a very tight fit.
View Quote

The solder/braze line is around 800 F
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 6:10:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm going by what's usually available from Brownell's.
I haven't looked recently.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 7:01:21 PM EDT
[#4]
A lot depends on what kind of nickle plate it is.

The braze-solder line has been around 800 F for a very long time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top