Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2014 3:05:32 PM EDT
I'm considering picking up a 1917 smith revolver, I was wondering if that frame would be compatible with newer smith parts?  In particular I'm thinking a model 58 barrel and a 351 titanium .41 cylinder. Best I can tell, the parts should marry up. Anyone see any reason this shouldn't work to make a fixed sight n frame?
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 2:39:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:46:37 PM EDT
[#2]
As above, the S&W 1917 metallurgy simply isn't up to modern high pressure ammo.
You'd have problems with the frame stretching, cracking, and likely catastrophically failing.

This is the equivalent to re-chambering an old 1890's Damascus barrel shotgun to modern 3 1/2 inch Magnum loads.  
Nothing good will come from it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 4:22:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Along with all the above the cheapest 1917 I've seen in the last five years was $650.  Even if this were possible (which it isn't) you're going to have cubic dollars wrapped up in this project.  Better off finding a used 58.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top