Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2014 3:20:03 PM EDT
Just wondering if it handled the same way as black.  My M&P9 VTAC is coming in and I'd like to give it the same treatment I've given all my other M&P's.

I experimented with a Larue index clip a while back and it appeared to burn the material and turn it black, but obviously the materials are probably a different makeup.

I haven't tried it with my new wood burning kit which is adjustable.

Further, I use a pencil to mark my lines.  Any complications with the graphite discoloring the frame if it "melts" in?

Should I do this myself, or should I send it to a professional?
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 1:58:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Nobody?
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 2:58:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I would ASSUME that it handles the same as regular polymer, but I don't know, as I've never stippled an FDE frame.  I'm wondering in your case if the polymer turned black because you had used the iron on a black frame without cleaning it?  As far as the pencil marks, I did this one yesterday.  I used painters tape to outline, then traced with a pencil so that I could see where the lines would be.  Once I had the outline where I wanted it, I re-applied the painters tape, and did the stippling.  Haven't noticed any issue with the pencil lines showing.

Link Posted: 9/13/2014 3:51:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Bump for more feedback before I say F it and send it to SMB.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top