Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2014 9:30:42 AM EDT
A Tec-9 Model: KG-99 recently came upon my posession. I took it out to the range to fire it, but jammed right after racking it. After removing the bullet stuck inside, and closing the bolt again, it stayed locked to the front. After taking it apart, and putting it back together, I was able to ge tit racking again, but now, right after racking it, the bolt only closes to about 80% of the way. I have to push the bolt another 20% to close it fully. Here's a video of the problem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z27ssavCsr4&list=UURfXAnVbwcvOavpa4OGglqA

The previous owner told me the firearm would shoot once or twice and then jam. He could never shoot more than 1 or 2 rounds out of it. This was before this more serioues bolt jam, so I'm not sure if it plays into it and is part of the problem to the bolt not closing fully now, or what.

Just by googling I can tell tec-9 jams are a common problem, but I'm hoping someone who owns one or has experience with them could help me diagnose the type of problem I'm having.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 10:33:00 AM EDT
[#1]
So with the bolt stuck open, what happens if you pull the trigger?

If the bolt closes then delete this post.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 11:08:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So with the bolt stuck open, what happens if you pull the trigger?

If the bolt closes then delete this post.
View Quote

And be sure to hide your doggie too....  
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 11:13:48 AM EDT
[#3]
when i first got my tec9 years ago i was having jams often. mine is a semi closed bolt but you didnt say if yours is. origional mags and polishing the feed ramp solved all my problems and it runs great now
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 11:19:29 AM EDT
[#4]
When I press the trigger, it does close the rest of the way. Are you telling me this is normal? How come this doesn't happen on any of the other kg-99 tec-9 models on YouTube? Is this due to worn out parts or? What parts should I be looking into replacing?
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 11:23:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
when i first got my tec9 years ago i was having jams often. mine is a semi closed bolt but you didnt say if yours is. origional mags and polishing the feed ramp solved all my problems and it runs great now
View Quote

Does yours do the same thing and stay a bit open when racking the bolt and releasing it gently instead of forcefully? I'm trying to figure out if this is normal or not. Can you tell if it's a semi-closed bolt from this picture? I could take it apart again and take more pictures.  http://i.imgur.com/bMl7WwV.jpg
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 11:30:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
When I press the trigger, it does close the rest of the way. Are you telling me this is normal? How come this doesn't happen on any of the other kg-99 tec-9 models on YouTube? Is this due to worn out parts or? What parts should I be looking into replacing?
View Quote

A Tec-9 Model: KG-99?

KG99 was made by a different company (Interdynamics) than the later Tec9 (Intratec).

If I remember right, the Interdynamics KG9 was made as an open bolt submachinegun.  The KG99 was made to be a closed bolt semiautomatic pistol.

The Intratec Tec9 was originally made as a closed bolt semiautomatic pistol.

The trouble is if the pistol being looked at displays the fuctions of a semiauto pistol or a submachinegun. One is easily legal, one may not be legal unless there is a pile of paperwork.
You need to make a decision on what you got in your hands. Your video seems to show a semiauto Tec9 that is not fully going into battery.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 11:52:14 AM EDT
[#7]
@a308grand, my apologies. It's an Interdynamic KG-99. It is my understanding that the open bolt models have a fixed firing pin? Mine has a separate long firing pin and striker that you have to assemble before putting it into the bolt and putting everything back together. That would make it closed bolt right?

This is a picture of my bolt. http://i.imgur.com/hi79bSE.jpg
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 1:23:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Your top end is a late version AB10, similar to the Tec9. The AB10 lacks the barrel shroud and has a short unthreaded barrel. They were made just before Intertec went out of business.

Your lower end is marked as KG99, which is an early version. It may have internal parts (hammer, striker release?) that do not fully fit together for smooth function with the newer version top end.

There are small diffrences in each pistol model, so I think you may need a very detailed inspection of how your parts interact. The bolt seems  to be hanging up on something.....the feedramp to the chamber....something in the lower....just needs a close look at the thing. Maybe look for internet sources that have good pictures to identify what mixture of parts are present in your pistol.

Its hard to diagnose via internet pictures, may be time for your local gunsmith.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top