Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2014 2:16:43 AM EDT
Not sure if this is the right place.

I bought some P226 Tulipwood hogue grips and I plan on engraving and staining to give it a custom look. Engraving I will have someone laser engrave it for me and I will stain it myself.
Question is Should I have it stained (staining it a russian red color) before or after engraving? If stain after, Is it best to prep the wood (sanding the wood to take out the gloss) before engraving? Any helpful info would help. Thanks.

Pistol Grip model is this:
http://www.hoguestore.com/bmz_cache/b/bd038217c2a95ac9ab3c1ff74084905d.image.300x225.jpg
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 1:14:44 PM EDT
[#1]
if the wood is already stained your going to have to remove it by sanding  before applying a new stain.
if the wood has a poly type coating then a chemical stripper can be used then sand smooth

I would stain after all work has been done.

keep in mind "etched areas will be much darker than the rest of the grip.

Def try on a few scrap parts first. this will help that you get the shade you want if you know the approx soak time.
eta

most when doing checkering will stain first then cut the checkering to keep the checkered areas from being to dark in relation to the rest of the stock.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 7:50:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply and information Gregory_K appreciate it!
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 2:05:56 PM EDT
[#3]
keep in mind "etched areas will be much darker than the rest of the grip.
View Quote

Depends on what you use for "stain."
Pigment 'stains' tend to collect in scratches.
Aniline dies not nearly as badly.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 4:12:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Never used them or knew about them untill 3 min ago.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top