Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2014 11:31:06 PM EDT
Hello everyone,

I just hit the range tonight and had an issue I was hoping someone could provide a little help on. I have a S&W MP Compact 9mm.  Occasionally when firing, the spent round would eject, the new round would feed, but the new round would not fire. I had to clear the chambered round then the next round would fire, but then I would typically have the same issue on the next round. I was clearing on average 4 rounds per 10 round mag. I am using good grade ammo. I did clean the gun for the first time yesterday and it was my first time ever cleaning a gun (I'm still a gun novice). Today was only the second time firing the Compact. Any thoughts as to what is causing my issue?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 6:45:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you small indents on the primer?  Or not?

My FS M&P 9MM was doing that at one point and by looking at my FS .357 SIG M&P I realized the trigger bar was the issue.  That part that sticks up on the back of the trigger bar contacts that bump on the bottom of the slide as the slide move rearward and moves out from under the sear so the sear can reset and catch the striker (firing pin) when the slide comes forward.  If the part that sticks up is "leaning" too far to the right, the bump on the bottom of the slide will not push the trigger bar out from under the sear reliably.  I took a pair of needlenose pliers and bent that top hoop/dogleg part of the trigger bar slightly more to the left (till it matched my .357 SIG gun's angle) and have not had that problem again.

Sorry don't have any pictures, it was just a quick job in the garage one day after a frustrating range session.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top