Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/28/2017 1:20:59 PM EDT
I just bought a shield of the 40 variety.  Anyway, this is my second pistol.  The first is a 9mm.  Anyway, I was hoping to get some suggestions from the hive on good range ammo and good carry ammo.

Thank ya in advance.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 1:27:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I use hornady critical defense for my carry ammo. Heres the Link
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 1:56:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use hornady critical defense for my carry ammo. Heres the Link
View Quote
This is your bestest bet on available defense ammo. It's really similar to our LE critical duty, but is optimized for short barrels and the jackets are designed to expand from short barrel defensive/carry handguns. I've seen it at shoots and it's pretty awesome.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 2:50:33 PM EDT
[#3]
HST
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 6:41:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
HST
View Quote
This. Does quite well out of the Shield's shorter bbl.

Tomac
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 4:45:59 AM EDT
[#5]
HST, Gold Dot, or Ranger. Stick to just those and you can't go wrong.

Critical Defense is garbage.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 11:43:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Critical Defense isnt garbage. Not my first choice but not a bad one.

I would use HST OP. I only have a 4" .40 so use 165gr but am not sure of short bbl performance.

The Barnes all copper Tac-XP 140gr is insanely light recoiling, like shooting a 9mm and expands nicely. Would be good for a small .40 IMO. Maybe see if it expands in water jugs.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 12:45:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Critical Defense isnt garbage. Not my first choice but not a bad one.

I would use HST OP. I only have a 4" .40 so use 165gr but am not sure of short bbl performance.

The Barnes all copper Tac-XP 140gr is insanely light recoiling, like shooting a 9mm and expands nicely. Would be good for a small .40 IMO. Maybe see if it expands in water jugs.
View Quote
That did really well in my full size, I should try it from my shield.

That said, HST all day err day.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 8:46:53 PM EDT
[#8]
i carry 165's critical defense in my 40c.

i dont think its garbage... it cycles like butter doing a 10rd mag dump and other various cycle rates.  

all ammo posted is a good choice, but i like the numbers of the 165 critical defense better than others, it works well in my gun, and im sure the guy at the other end will not know the difference between an internet crazed HST and a CD...shit, i could load up a FMJ and id still be comfortable knowing they will be going down.

to each their own, get whats available at your LGS or cabelas etc.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 3:00:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That did really well in my full size, I should try it from my shield.

That said, HST all day err day.
View Quote
Searched for the vid but no dice.

I keep that load in my HD pistol. Found some for $13/20 recently.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 3:47:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Winchester Ranger or Federal HST.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top