Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2017 11:09:24 PM EDT
So I bought an fde shield 40 today it will be a few weeks before I can pick it up because washington is gay. I am planning to use it for my primary carry gun. I am planning to use Underwood ammo. I know they load kinda hot has anyone had issues with their ammo in a shield? My other question is how reliable are the apex triggers?
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 11:12:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Shoot it first before dropping the money on an apex. Picked up the 9, and the trigger is fine for a carry gun, IMO.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 1:39:07 AM EDT
[#2]
You'll wanna get one of these, because the mag springs are extremely stiff. UpLula mag loader.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 3:14:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Why don't you just get a CPL so you can take it home the day of purchase?
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 4:46:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Shoot it first before dropping the money on an apex. Picked up the 9, and the trigger is fine for a carry gun, IMO.
View Quote
+1 for shoot it first.

I've found my Shields trigger to be mediocre but so far fine for carry gun and may not go for Apex after all.

In any case shoot it some before upgrading anything, if nothing else to verify no issues.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 8:15:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I've put a few boxes of ammo through mine and can't love the trigger. It maybe just the feeling of the hinged trigger not so much the pull, I have a hyve technologies trigger on order should be here Tuesday. It only replaces the trigger itself, no lightening of pull.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:51:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Why don't you just get a CPL so you can take it home the day of purchase?
View Quote
I'm getting it as we speak I'm new to WA. I may have it before the gun gets here from psa
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 12:41:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You'll wanna get one of these, because the mag springs are extremely stiff. UpLula mag loader.
View Quote
They work on many mags.  1911, Uzi, Sig, CZ,  to Glock 21.  You can even hog it out and make fit a grease gun mag.  
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 6:25:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I followed the instructions easily googled with "shield trigger job" and it made a huge difference.  Getting the rear sight off to get at the plunger is not for the timid, but it's well worth it.  The plunger seemed to be the item that causes the trigger pull effort to pile on just before it breaks.  Took me about an hour and a half working at a "i haven't done this before" pace.

vise
small hammer
two or three smaller punches
tiny flat safe-edge file
couple different grits of polishing sandpaper
soldering iron (to cook the loktite on the rear sight set screw)
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 7:20:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I followed the instructions easily googled with "shield trigger job" and it made a huge difference.  Getting the rear sight off to get at the plunger is not for the timid, but it's well worth it.  The plunger seemed to be the item that causes the trigger pull effort to pile on just before it breaks.  Took me about an hour and a half working at a "i haven't done this before" pace.

vise
small hammer
two or three smaller punches
tiny flat safe-edge file
couple different grits of polishing sandpaper
soldering iron (to cook the loktite on the rear sight set screw)
View Quote
I've done a few, I just throw it in the desktop lathe and grab a fine file and a polishing pad
I have no idea why S&W doesn't just go ahead and radius/polish the firing pin block, that would go a long way to improving the pull.  My brand new 2.0 had the same factory plunger as my 8yo M&P.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 5:25:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I chucked the plunger into a drill, and spun it that way to polish it round.  Was a little wonky, but it worked.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:12:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Or just get your husband to load it for you.

Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:16:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
LOL  Well, if you can load more than 2 rounds into one of those things without an UpLula, you spend waaay too much time exercising your gripping muscles on something.  I've owned lots of different guns over the decades, and have never owned anything with mag springs even remotely close to being as stiff as the shield ones. Hell, I saw where some guy on youtube cut 4 or 5 coils off the springs in his mags and they still functioned perfectly. I guess that's one way to deal with it, but all the shield owners I know use the uplula.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:19:20 AM EDT
[#13]
I own three S&W pistols.....two of them have had the exact same deal.  Magazine springs are brutally strong.

I took an enormous amount of pride in having never used a loading device in my life.  Not once.

My 9c finally made me say "screw it" and by one.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 1:12:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:38:39 PM EDT
[#15]
I hate the mag loaders I can't imagine it will be that bad. If it is at least they will last a long time
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:23:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Never use a mag loader and I don't exercise my hand anymore than the average guy. Not suggesting some of them aren't more difficult than others though.

Take that back. I do use stripper clips and StripLula for AR mags to speed things up.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:36:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Stick to GD - sju
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:11:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
LOL  Well, if you can load more than 2 rounds into one of those things without an UpLula, you spend waaay too much time exercising your gripping muscles on something.  I've owned lots of different guns over the decades, and have never owned anything with mag springs even remotely close to being as stiff as the shield ones. Hell, I saw where some guy on youtube cut 4 or 5 coils off the springs in his mags and they still functioned perfectly. I guess that's one way to deal with it, but all the shield owners I know use the uplula.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.. I guess I like the way it feels to pack a full load in a tight little mag.

Bur your right they are some tight ones.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:36:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Mine has not been picky about ammo at all. I shoot 147gr HST, 114gr HST, and various 115gr target loads mostly. I also think the stock trigger is GTG. I have always like the way the M&P triggers break, but the reset was undetectable, but that was fixed in the Shield's (although some are better than others). As a primary carry pistol, I wouldn't mess with the trigger at all.

Only upgrade I'd suggest is tritium sights. The factory sights are better than most though, a nice bright white.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:28:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I own three S&W pistols.....two of them have had the exact same deal.  Magazine springs are brutally strong.

I took an enormous amount of pride in having never used a loading device in my life.  Not once.

My 9c finally made me say "screw it" and by one.
View Quote
I know that before I put extra power springs in all my magazine that sometimes the slide wouldn't strip a round on a speed load with 10 rounds in the magazine. So maybe this is an improvement upgrade.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 4:29:26 PM EDT
[#21]
guys this may have been asked before but,  does the shield have standard rifling so you can shoot lead with no problem?
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 4:33:28 PM EDT
[#22]
My 9mm, has the APEX Duty/Carry kit.  I have about 500 rounds of various brass through it since install, with no issues.  I liked the stock trigger, but really like now with the APEX kit.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 2:25:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Plain lead bullets are fine. By the way with proper care (using cast not swaged clean every 200 rounds don't push fast) I have shot thousands of cast lead in my glocks without issue. The no lead in poly bores issue is greatly exaggerated
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 2:37:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Plain lead bullets are fine. By the way with proper care (using cast not swaged clean every 200 rounds don't push fast) I have shot thousands of cast lead in my glocks without issue. The no lead in poly bores issue is greatly exaggerated
View Quote
thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top