Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2017 11:21:46 PM EDT
After having the gun for almost a week I finally made it to my local range with my new M&P 2.0.

The Good:
As with the 1.0 the grip angle and general feel of the gun is good.  The new texture on the grip is a positive in my opinion.  One of the employees at the range feels it's too aggressive and will be rough on your hand with prolonged shooting.  Another stated it's the best off the market grip texture he's ever seen.  I only had time for 80 rounds today, but had no negative reaction to the grip texture what so ever, and found maintaining my preferred grip position to be easier because of the stipple.

During the first 20-25 rounds I had a fair number of shell casing land on my arms, my initial thought was WTF, this is worse than a Glock.  But during the later part of my session all the casing were flying well right of the gun.  Even with crappy Freedom Munitions which won't even cycle three of my Glocks!

The trigger is a ton better than an off the shelf Glock trigger; but frankly not as good as the new Sig P320 trigger.  

The accuracy was exactly what I would expect allowing me to reach my skill level of an inch to 1.5 inch hole at five yards (Medium paced firing)  Extending out to 7 yards produced similar results, with just a very slight right bias.  

I had zero failures of any kind, again including 30 rounds of Freedom munitions which fails to cycle my Glocks about 1/3 of the time.  

Recoil seemed lighter than similar pistols, but to be honest I was concentrating more on accuracy and reliability than felt recoil.  

The Bad:
As I mentioned, the first 20-25 rounds had a quite a few casing landing on my arms; and frankly I was getting a little upset.  However, that seemed to resolve itself quickly.  

Second, I'm not of fan of the new slide release lock that prevents the slide from coming home when you slam the magazine in.  I personally liked the old way where an aggressive magazine insertion brought the gun to battery.  YMMV.  Would it make any difference in whether I recommend the gun or not, absolutely not.

Lastly, my personal opinion is that it's not the best looking handgun I've ever owned.  It feels a little busy, but then again, it's a tool, not a beauty pageant.  (And to admit the really weird I've come to like the look of the Glock)

My overall impression is the M&P 2.0 is a very solid entry into the world of handguns.  I Love my Glocks but despite my best effort, including reading, practice and you tube video's I cannot seem to correct my significant left bias with a Glock.  I've also fired the P320 FS and Compact on several occasions and while I like the trigger on the P320, for me the grip and the balance of the 320 somehow seems off.  The M&P 2.0 is accurate, feels good in the hand, and is relatively inexpensive.

My cost was $430 pretax.

Link Posted: 5/20/2017 11:58:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice write up. I sold a G21, Gen4 because of weak ejection and BTF & BTH. I am now a Sig DA/S.A. man. Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 12:28:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah I'm a becoming a fan of the M&P 9. And this new 2.0 version looks even better. I used to hate polymer striker fired guns. But now I carry the M&P 9 with Apex trigger and Trijicon HD night sights and it's sweet.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 4:03:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice write up and pictures.

I also own a S&W M&P9c and recently picked up a full size 9mm 2.0. I have fired it over 500 rounds now and really am liking this new gun. After taking off some the aggressive grip that was rubbing me wrong it became my favorite gun to shoot and carry.

Very accurate and light recoil make it a perfect gun for long afternoons shooting at my range.

I will go back to the 9c for summer carry but when wearing a coat or jacket the 2.0 will be my carry gun.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:50:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had a 9mm 2.0 for about six weeks now.  Love the grip texture. I replaced the sear with one from Apex.  I now have a truly amazing polymer pistol with a very crisp 4 pound trigger pull.   I thought I would never have a polymer pistol with a trigger better than my PPQ but the 2.0 is the best.

Over 600 trouble free rounds so far.  My carry load is Federal HST 124 HP and from a rest at 10 yards it will stack three rounds into one jagged hole.

I shoot a lot of 40 and am now saving up my pennies and nickels to get a 2.0 with a 5 inch barrel and in 40 caliber.  

MY EDC was a Glock 19 for many years -- now its my 2.0
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top