Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2016 12:48:59 AM EDT
Have a low-mile Bodyguard I traded into.  Took it to the range w/a box of S&B .380.  Out of (20) rounds, I had two FTF with light primer strikes.  
Fired brass showed all looked to have light primer strikes.  The FTF would fire on re-strike.

Yes, I can send it to S&W, etc...

I'm curious if there are any known issues for this make/model...
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:13:52 AM EDT
[#1]
This is a known issue when using cheap range ammo.   Most brands have harder primers. I don't know much about S&B ammo.  Try another brand of quality carry ammo and I think you'll find it's 100%.   If not, S&W will make it right.

Also, I assume your gun is stock?  You don't have the Galloway trigger kit in it like this?

Some people just install the trigger without changing the firing pin spring etc and the result will be light strikes for sure.

ETA:  Just to clarify, very few people report problems with almost any brand of quality ammo.

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:33:29 PM EDT
[#2]
The trigger is stock - no mods.

Switching ammo in hopes of chasing reliability when S&W can "make it right" doesn't compute with me...  Either they have a design the works or they don't.  
A self-defense pistol should, by definition, be reliable and not picky with off the shelf ammo (again, IMHO).  2 FTF's in 20 rounds is a bit shocking honestly.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 3:11:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you have a ClipDraw installed?  That can squeeze the frame enough to cause light primer strikes.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 5:55:44 PM EDT
[#4]
No, no mods of any kind.  Box stock...
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 12:38:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I had same issue w S&B 380 ammo in my Bodyguard. US name brand ammo all good to go but this ammo took two strikes to fire.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 6:38:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 11:28:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had same issue w S&B 380 ammo in my Bodyguard. US name brand ammo all good to go but this ammo took two strikes to fire.
View Quote

What he said,  I bought the S&W 380 bodyguard for my wife,  out of the 50 rounds we had 3 or 4 FTF.  Next box we had 1 or 2.  After the first 100 rounds I took it apart and cleaned it, lubed it down real good. and out of the next box of ammo we had 1 or 2,  the 4th box I think we had 1.  I don't recall having any more after these 2 days of shooting.  We did 100 rounds each say,  so after 200 rounds we haven't had any and have done at least another 200 rounds or more.  Biggest issue if the very first shot of any trip we take, the first shot will toss the brass straight back at your head.  after that everything ejects to the side like normal.  It has done this every first cold shot since day 1
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 9:19:59 AM EDT
[#8]
I recently did a handgun class that required the use of a backup at times.  I used my Bodyguard because I've not really shot it as much as I need to.  It worked perfectly and was at least as accurate as what I'm used to out of my old J-Frame.  I only use the green box Remington ammo for practice and Hornady Critical Defense for carry.  My pistol is a non-laser model manufactured in 2016.  

I know a guy who recently had YUUUGE problems with some Tula ammo out of his Glock 19 of all things.  He said he was getting light primer strikes.  Almost fifty rounds failed to fire.  Does that mean that I think the Glock 19 is defective?  Not in a million years.  The point is that as ammo becomes more and more expensive and manufacturers try to keep prices down on certain types we're bound to have problems.  I suspect that's what we're seeing with Bodyguards and light strikes.  Good quality ammo with a proven track record in a firearm is vital if you plan on carrying the thing.  

Link Posted: 11/3/2016 5:25:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I carry my bodyguard in my front pocket 24/7 and I have noticed lately that I'm getting pocket lint in the exposed area of the hammer.   I took it to the range the other day.  Carried it in my pocket the whole day prior. I did not clean it what so ever.  Pulled out of my pocket shot one round fine. Second round nothing with some lint coming out of the exposed hammer section.  No sure if this is a similar issue to what you are having.   It does raise some concerns to me about carrying it.   Also after cleaning the gun it fired hundreds of rounds without issue.  Just seems the debris from my pocket is getting in the way of the hammer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top