Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2016 3:25:51 PM EDT
Just got home from my LGS with a 9MM shiled, paid 332-. Only handgun I have besides this is my G19, needed something a little smaller. Have had other single stack 9's, and J frames but really wanted to try one of these .

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 3:29:49 PM EDT
[#1]
good pick. the sticky holster i hear its great.. but it doesnt have a retention method to the pants? its just stuck in there from the friction? it seems to be something that could possibly fall out etc? but a lot of people get them so they must not? just curious since everyone has one?
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 3:30:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice! I just bought my Shield this past Spring. It really helped this summer when I needed something smaller in shorts and a t-shirt. Its a great gun.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 3:30:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Congratulations, I love mine!  They shoot great and are easy to carry and conceal.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 3:33:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
good pick. the sticky holster i hear its great.. but it doesnt have a retention method to the pants? its just stuck in there from the friction? it seems to be something that could possibly fall out etc? but a lot of people get them so they must not? just curious since everyone has one?
View Quote

I've used Remora's a lot, and like them. I bought this Sticky when I had my G43, kept it when I sold it...
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 4:17:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I hate M&P pistols.

But I f'ing love my Shield.

When the G43 came out, I wanted one, and felt like I should trade my shield in for one, for consistency.   But I can't bring myself to do it.   There is really no point, as the shield is a great gun.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 4:41:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Shields are great little pistols! Good choice!

If you are planning to carry it I would look into other holster options, I carry with a Stealth Gear Onyx, great little holster and super comfortable.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 5:10:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Cool! Used to love my little 9 shield.

Get you an Apex sear for smoother, lighter trigger pull.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 5:22:05 PM EDT
[#8]
The trigger is pretty crisp, reset a bit weak. Will shoot it first and go from there. Not sure what sights I'm gonna try yet???
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 6:26:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Solid gun...

Take a look at Apex flat trigger and spring kit, Mag-Guts +1 and +2 kit, HD sights

I use 147gr HST in mine and its an outstanding gun
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 6:44:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Are these newer triggers updated like the full size guns are? Also what about the guide rod, was told they break???
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 7:04:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice pistol.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 7:29:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Solid gun...

Take a look at Apex flat trigger and spring kit, Mag-Guts +1 and +2 kit, HD sights

I use 147gr HST in mine and its an outstanding gun
View Quote

+1 on the Mag-Guts +1 and +2 kits and 147gr HST, works great...!!!

I have a PC version so I left the trigger as is, but Trijicon HD's will definitely be my next upgrade.

Congrats OP, your going to love it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 7:53:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Congrats, I bought one right before Labor Day, great pistol and a lot easier to shoot well than I thought it would be.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 7:54:12 PM EDT
[#14]
http://magguts.com/

Never heard of them before. My son has a G43 that could always use another round in the magazine.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:55:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Great buy.  My personal EDC is a 9mm Shield.  Its a great gun, pretty accurate and carries well.  My work gun is a G43.  I hate it.  It is painful to shoot more than a couple of mags at a time and feels cheap compared to the Shield.  I also hate the smaller mag capacity.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:11:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Great buy.  My personal EDC is a 9mm Shield.  Its a great gun, pretty accurate and carries well.  My work gun is a G43.  I hate it.  It is painful to shoot more than a couple of mags at a time and feels cheap compared to the Shield.  I also hate the smaller mag capacity.
View Quote

I had a G43. Just didn't enjoy shooting it, and couldn't hit as well as I liked either. Never warmed up to it...
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:31:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Congrats!  I love mine.  I carry it 90% of the time.  The Apex trigger is a nice addition.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:32:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Are these newer triggers updated like the full size guns are? Also what about the guide rod, was told they break???
View Quote

Triggers on the shields have always been decent

Never had an issue with the guide rod nor heard about it. I'm currently dealing with an issue with the front locking block pin but it seems to be sorted for now.

One thing I highly recommend is the Talon grips. I've heard people have issues with them peeling free but I haven't and I carry mine every day.

I think the trick with the Talon grips is to use alcohol pads to clean it thoroughly before applying

If you are planning to change the rear sight that would be a good time to either modify the FPB or install the apex unit. Modding the original is stupid easy

Check out this: http://www.burwellguns.com/M&Ptriggerjob1.htm
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:38:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Congrats, I bought one right before Labor Day, great pistol and a lot easier to shoot well than I thought it would be.
View Quote

This

I'm no great pistol shooter but I have no problem hitting a 1' plate at 50 yards 95% of the time
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 6:50:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Nice.  I have 9mm shield I carry in a Blade Tech holster.  It works perfectly.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 2:02:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Put another 200 rounds through mine today, not as fast or as accurate as my beretta or CZ, but a lot easier to conceal.

Slow and deliberate it shoots exactly to point of aim, speed up and it goes low and left. I know it's me, just need more practice.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 7:25:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Welcome to our club !
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 12:56:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Great firearm.
I'd recommend a set of talon grips, either rubber (my personal favorite) or rough. I have a 10-8 rear sight and an ameriglo pro glo front sight. I also have an NDZ performance base plate which gives more grip space with the 7 rounders. Very underrated firearm. One of the few micro firearms that can go ~1,000rounds through a class without a hiccup.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 6:56:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Great firearm.
I'd recommend a set of talon grips, either rubber (my personal favorite) or rough. I have a 10-8 rear sight and an ameriglo pro glo front sight. I also have an NDZ performance base plate which gives more grip space with the 7 rounders. Very underrated firearm. One of the few micro firearms that can go ~1,000rounds through a class without a hiccup.
View Quote

I am closing rapidly on 1K with mine, I think I am going to email customer service and see what the life expectancy of the RSA is.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 7:21:59 PM EDT
[#25]
I love my 9mm shield. Great CCW gun. The only S&W semiauto I own and intend on owning.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 9:03:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Good choice.  I love mine and it's a joy to conceal in any kind of clothing.

My only issue:  Out of the box it had the worst factory trigger I have ever felt.  The fine folks at Apex took care of that for me though.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 9:13:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Good choice.  I love mine and it's a joy to conceal in any kind of clothing.

My only issue:  Out of the box it had the worst factory trigger I have ever felt.  The fine folks at Apex took care of that for me though.
View Quote

Trigger isn't bad on mine, best out of the ones I inspected. Still considering an Apex though
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 11:28:44 PM EDT
[#28]
I chose the PC model with the improved trigger since I'd heard about the trigger concerns on the standard models. Like the feel of the longer 8 cartridge magazine in the gun while carrying and keep the 7 tucked away as backup in case needed. Came with the Hi Viz fiber optic sights which are great in bright light, but not so much in low light. Great choice for CCW and tucks away nicely with an IWB holster.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 3:33:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Great CCW platform!

I definitely recommend doing a stipple job, getting APEX trigger kit, new sights and HYVE extended baseplates for sure!
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 9:39:29 PM EDT
[#30]
I have had both a 9mm and .40 Shield in the past. Living in the south where heavy sweat is a daily occurrence 9 months of the year, I had 2 mag releases rust shut on me.  The mag release was not Melonite coated like the rest of the pistol. I could not trust my life to a gun that I may not be able to drop the mag on.

I understand that not everyone is going to have a problem like this.

Does anyone know if they addressed this issue? I love the Shirld apart from that single flaw.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 9:47:11 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Great CCW platform!

I definitely recommend doing a stipple job, getting APEX trigger kit, new sights and HYVE extended baseplates for sure!
View Quote

Do the HYVE base plates come with or need a different spring?
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 11:48:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I have had both a 9mm and .40 Shield in the past. Living in the south where heavy sweat is a daily occurrence 9 months of the year, I had 2 mag releases rust shut on me.  The mag release was not Melonite coated like the rest of the pistol. I could not trust my life to a gun that I may not be able to drop the mag on.

Does anyone know if they addressed this issue? I love the Shirld apart from that single flaw.
View Quote

Thats interesting.

I wonder if putting a drop of CLP on the release once a week would have prevented this.

Link Posted: 10/23/2016 2:50:34 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Thats interesting.

I wonder if putting a drop of CLP on the release once a week would have prevented this.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats interesting.

I was going to suggest the same thing.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 7:50:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Looks good....Pick my up in 45ACP in afew days.!
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 6:20:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Great guns...

I highly recommend the Apex trigger and Trijicon HD sights
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top