Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2016 11:20:29 PM EDT
Hello All!

I am looking seriously into my first CCW and was almost sold on the Shield then I saw the M&P9c.  I watched a few videos online about the differences and was hoping a few of you here would be able to share some real world experience.  I have also always been a Glock fan, so this would be my first experience with the M&P line up.  I am 6' tall and currently weigh 350 lbs, but have been steadily losing weight.  As I have never carried concealed before, I am keeping any and all carry options open.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 12:08:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Sorry Glock was the one thing I have never been. Yet I do not like any plastic guns and for CC for me personally I have an issue with most because I use a wheelchair. You are six foot so you should not have any issues with a holster for any full size gun let alone a smaller one.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 1:00:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I've only been carrying for about a year; however, the guy I took my carry class with was about your size and he had a glock 19 hidden very well underneath a normal polo. If he can do that you should have no problem concealing either of the above choices anywhere you feel comfortable. With that being said, I have a shield and love it. If you keep on the weight path that you're on once you get down to the 220ish range for sure you can appendix it no problem.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 2:18:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I actually have both a Shield and an M&P9c. The Shield is awesomely concealable, and the M&P9c is only slightly bigger. I carry the M&P9c more, since it shoots like a full size pistol. It's also very accurate to boot!
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 2:08:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I've carried the M&P9c as my daily carry since 2008 and I love the thing.

It shoots like a full size. 12rd capacity and with a  grip extension I can use full size M&P 17rd mags.

The only downside, my M&P9c can be difficult to conceal in summer attire, which is why I think I want the shield,.

For me the shield would work nicely as a dedicated summer carry gun.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 4:24:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I am 6 foot 4 and 300, and have been carrying the M&P9c for several years now. I have also shot the 9mm shield but prefer  the 9c for its increased capacity. You will have no problem concealing it.

I use a combat master OWB at 3:00 and a super tuck IWB at 5:00.

Carry the largest handgun capacity you can and I feel a double stack is a must.

Glad you are loosing weight keep it up. You will feel better and even shoot better.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 4:32:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I am 6'2" and weigh 250. I carry a Shield with the 8 round mag using a Mag Guts follower and spring. Gives me 9+1 in a tremendously slim carry package. I have carried Glocks and FS M&P and I like the Shield the best.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 4:42:35 PM EDT
[#7]
You shouldn't have a problem hiding a double-stack.  I'm on the smaller side (5"9' and 150lbs) and I used to conceal an M&P9c without any issue.  It was so easy that I upgraded to a G19.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 9:43:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I have both and carry both, usually the 9c in winter and the shield in summer and occasionally my BG380 when I really want to be discreet. If I could only have one it would probably be the shield. Even though it is only slightly smaller it is much more concealable and comfortable.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 11:36:03 PM EDT
[#9]
People either love or hate the shield.

Concealability aside, I'd look at things like palm swell grip inserts, using full size mags, using the same sights as a FS, parts are easier to find, better grip on the gun, use of a light, etc. If you're looking for ultra thin and hiding a gun that shoots well, the shield wins. I don't think that's the case though.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 12:45:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all the helpful answers! I have handled both the Shield and the G43. There are some differences, but nothing was really a deal breaker. I like the added capacity of the 9c without a huge difference in size of pistols. I've held a G26 and can't stand it. One of my main concerns about carrying has to do with my physique. I have no butt, and keeping trousers up sometimes can be a challenge. The Shield would be lighter weight compared to a fuller framed pistol, plus I was thinking of maybe pocket carry to help alleviate all the weight at the waist of my pants. As I said, this is new territory to me and I am trying to mentally think it through and problem solve before there are problems.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 1:33:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Get a good belt. With a good gun belt you can easily alleviate your sagging problem and carry around a much heavier gun than any of the polymers you're thinking of. I have a Milt Sparks one that I can carry a 1911 on; however, I know there are other belts that will serve you equally well if you don't want to wait 6 months for a Milt belt.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 3:12:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get a good belt. With a good gun belt you can easily alleviate your sagging problem and carry around a much heavier gun than any of the polymers you're thinking of. I have a Milt Sparks one that I can carry a 1911 on; however, I know there are other belts that will serve you equally well if you don't want to wait 6 months for a Milt belt.
View Quote

I would look into a Belthman belt!
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 5:21:21 AM EDT
[#13]
I love the concealability of a shield

Link Posted: 5/14/2016 10:39:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 10:49:08 AM EDT
[#15]
I am 5'8" and 205, and a 32" waist. I carried a G-21 for years. Now I carry a M&P 9 Pro. My wife has a 9C. I use it for pocket carry. The 9C is a great size and can use full size mags. With a good belt and good holster carry is easier. I forget I have mine on most of the time. A good IWB holster with the neoprene backing that rides against your body is comfortable. Used several MTAC holsters and so,e from Kinetic Concealment. The KC holsters are comfortable. I just wear button down casual shirts un tuck. Summer the Colmbia PFG vented light weight shirts untucked or a polo. Even when I have to tuck a dress shirt in all that is visible are the clips on belt.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 9:51:08 AM EDT
[#16]
I initially bought a an M&Pc back in 2010 and had this as my carry gun for about a year until the Shield came out and I could get a hold of one.  I liked the M&Pc, but the slimmer profile of the Shield appealed to me as a strict concealed carry gun, so I sold my M&Pc to a friend of mine and only carried the Shield.  Over the next few years I continued carrying the Shield, but I missed the M&Pc as the Shield didn't fit my large hands as well and didn't have as much capacity as the M&Pc.  About a month or so ago my buddy decided to get a Glock 43 and sold my old M&Pc back to me so I now have that AND my Shield.  To be perfectly honest, I know it's a lame answer, but get both.  I'll carry the M&Pc when I"m wearing jeans and at least a polo shirt, and the Shield when I'm in shorts and/or a t-shirt.

One thing I will say though since you are a bigger guy is to hold both of them.  If you have big hands, it can be tricky getting a proper hold on the Shield with the slim single stack sized grip.  It took me a lot of practice to get used to it since I have big hands.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:04:32 AM EDT
[#17]
I have both and like them both. I'm 5'8" and weigh around 180.

I can easily conceal the Shield, 9c, or FS 9 with a TLR1.

It all depends on you holster and belt.

The Shield is perfect for light clothing on the summer
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 9:49:38 PM EDT
[#18]
I own a shield and a 9c and I carry the 9c 98% of the time. The shield is a little easier to carry but once you get over your new CCW jitters the slightly larger size of the 9c won't matter. I really don't care at all if someone sees my gun or whatever, its a non-issue after you have carried awhile.

The 9c is easier to shoot and has higher capacity and IMO makes it a better carry gun.

Can't go wrong with a shield either though...

Shooting my shield
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 10:24:26 PM EDT
[#19]
GET BOTH

I've carried both a bunch.

I ended up selling the compact, and keeping the SHIELD

I really wish S&W would have made there compact more like a Glock19/23 then a Glock26/27
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 10:30:16 PM EDT
[#20]
I own both.I never carry the m&p c.If there is a place that I feel I may need more capacity, I simply carry my full  size m&p.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:32:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
GET BOTH

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/derek45/media/MP/MPs_zpsfscqb3sg.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/derek45/MP/MPs_zpsfscqb3sg.jpg</a>

I've carried both a bunch.

I ended up selling the compact, and keeping the SHIELD

I really wish S&W would have made there compact more like a Glock19/23 then a Glock26/27
View Quote

I absolutely agree. I wish the M&P9c had a 4" barrel.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 7:50:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I absolutely agree. I wish the M&P9c had a 4" barrel.
View Quote

and a little bit more grip to hang on to.

I ended up buying an old Glock, and reshaping the goofy bump off the back of the grip

Link Posted: 6/1/2016 11:08:17 PM EDT
[#23]
I picked the 40c over the shield40 because i already had a full size and could use the 15rd mags in the compact at the range and have 10 full size mags. Then i bought the shield40 6 months later, and sold my full size and bought a Pro series.

So...
Get both
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 9:26:23 PM EDT
[#24]
I have a full size M&P and a compact. The shield felt too small in my hand, I chose the compact and a few months later my dad picked up a shield and I shoot them the same. Shield is easier to conceal but I am more comfortable with the compact since I train so much on my fullsize.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top