Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2016 1:41:27 PM EDT
I've been wanting to try an RMR-mounted M&P for a while now (see my other thread), but am giving up on getting a slide to mill.

If I look at buying a CORE pistol, is there a compelling reason to go for the longer barrel vs. sticking with the 4.25"?  This will be an EDC weapon and not a competition gun.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 2:46:55 PM EDT
[#1]
For EDC a 4-1/4 barrel would be less cumbersome. You might want to stick with iron sights for a EDC handgun, or invest in lots of batteries  if its a LED reflex sight. I just put a Fastfire 3 on my 4-1/4" CORE last week. A red dot on a handgun takes some getting use to.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 2:31:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the 5" and originally went in for the shorter one.I would definitely get the 4.25 if you plan to use it as an edc.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 12:10:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I've never seen any reason to get the 5" over the 4.25' on any model of M&P.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 9:38:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I have both. The 5" gives you slightly better muzzle velocity and longer sight plane. Muzzle velocity means more power. Longer sight plane tend to be more pointable under stress. That said, go with the 4.25 as it is more concealable and more than adequate for a self defense gun.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 10:21:23 PM EDT
[#5]
4.25 for carry . Extra length just makes it less concealable.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 10:45:00 PM EDT
[#6]
The two compelling advantages of the longer barrel are the increase in muzzle velocity and the longer sight radius. How much that compels you is completely up to you.

The shorter barrel version will be marginally easier to conceal...and this depends on how you carry it. I could argue either way for a 4.25-5" barrel on a carry gun.  

Fwiw I think going with a slide mounted red dot has too many detriments to be considered for edc. You'd be amazed at what you can do with irons with practice.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 11:11:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I carry a 4.25" M&P , but also have a 5" CORE. If I could find a decent holster for the 5" with the RD mounted I'd probably carry it. That being said,  the 4.25" is going to be easier to carry.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 12:34:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The two compelling advantages of the longer barrel are the increase in muzzle velocity and the longer sight radius. How much that compels you is completely up to you.

The shorter barrel version will be marginally easier to conceal...and this depends on how you carry it. I could argue either way for a 4.25-5" barrel on a carry gun.  

Fwiw I think going with a slide mounted red dot has too many detriments to be considered for edc. You'd be amazed at what you can do with irons with practice.
View Quote

I've had 2 eye surgeries so far and can only do so much with physiology.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 6:43:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Unlike some, I actually EDC a pistol with a RDS. It's awesome! Especially if you having eye issues. I have a M&P9 with a RMR08G and a M&P9C with a RMR02, zero problems with either. Most issues that folks experience are due to batteries varying in thickness buy manufacturer. A dab of RTV on the back of the battery usually fixes that. I change my battery on my birthday.  

I'd get the 4.25". A RMR negates the sight radius advantage of the 5"
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 3:20:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Unlike some, I actually EDC a pistol with a RDS. It's awesome! Especially if you having eye issues. I have a M&P9 with a RMR08G and a M&P9C with a RMR02, zero problems with either. Most issues that folks experience are due to batteries varying in thickness buy manufacturer. A dab of RTV on the back of the battery usually fixes that. I change my battery on my birthday.  

View Quote

So you have two CORE pistols?  If so, that's great feedback.  The LGS I visited didn't have them in stock, but could order one for $635.
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 11:21:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

So you have two CORE pistols?  If so, that's great feedback.  The LGS I visited didn't have them in stock, but could order one for $635.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No CORE's, both of mine are milled slides. I was addressing the comment that slide mounted optics have too many detriments and the benefits of sight radius on a RDS pistol.
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 12:23:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:  I have both. The 5" gives you slightly better muzzle velocity and longer sight plane. Muzzle velocity means more power. Longer sight plane tend to be more pointable under stress. That said, go with the 4.25 as it is more concealable and more than adequate for a self defense gun.
View Quote

The RDS negates the sight radius concern; .75" is a negligible increase in muzzle energy, which is not the wounding mechanism of handguns anyway.
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 12:25:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

No CORE's, both of mine are milled slides. I was addressing the comment that slide mounted optics have too many detriments and the benefits of sight radius on a RDS pistol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah, okay. Yeah, I'd really like to give it a try, but find it ridiculous you can't easily get slides to mill without spending nearly as much as a new pistol.
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 1:15:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have 2x .40 5" COREs, PSA had them on clearance about a year ago for $450-ish. Sold my 40L and bought 2 COREs in a heartbeat.

Quoted:
Ah, okay. Yeah, I'd really like to give it a try, but find it ridiculous you can't easily get slides to mill without spending nearly as much as a new pistol.

A quick glance around the 'net , it looks like getting a slide milled would run you $250 or less.
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 1:15:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True. Occasionally non- night sight slides pop up for $200 ish
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 4:10:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I have 2x .40 5" COREs, PSA had them on clearance about a year ago for $450-ish. Sold my 40L and bought 2 COREs in a heartbeat.

A quick glance around the 'net , it looks like getting a slide milled would run you $250 or less.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm talking cost of slide + milling.  Best I can find is around $450-550 for both with shipping.
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 5:44:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'm talking cost of slide + milling.  Best I can find is around $450-550 for both with shipping.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why would you need an extra slide rather then the one that's currently on the pistol?
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 10:20:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Why would you need an extra slide rather then the one that's currently on the pistol?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

In case I don't like it and want to put it back to stock?  That just seems to be an overwhelmingly obvious precaution.
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 11:23:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

In case I don't like it and want to put it back to stock?  That just seems to be an overwhelmingly obvious precaution.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a $450 mass produced pistol, cheaper if you buy used. I wouldnt be overly concerned about keeping it stock.

Either buy a Burris rear sight mount as a test run, or a $300 PD trade in .40 and have the slide milled, add a 9mm barrel if you want to shoot 9mm. If you don't end up liking it I can guarantee someone will buy it since it's already complete with no waiting on the slide milling.  

I bought a M&P22 that came with a Burris rear sight mount and a Fastfire II. No issues for me, sold me on the concept .  However you could just remove the RMR and stick the $20 filler piece in the RMR cut if you dont like using the optic, assuming whoever cut the slide offers a filler. I know OneSourceTactical sells them.  

Brownells, cheaper elsewhere Im sure

Top Top