Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2016 10:10:39 PM EDT
Stopped by a LGS the other day and, somewhat out of the norm, they had a used 686 snub nosed with adjustable sights, with lock, for $399. It had been carried and used, but was not beat.  Im not really in the market for one but after getting home I started to give it a bit more thought. Is this about the going rate for one or is this a deal?  It'd be about $450 OTD. I know a no-lock would be worth it but don't have much of a reference for w/lock values.  

Also, any overall thoughts on a snub 686?  Anything to look for or any other positives/negatives?  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 8:21:12 AM EDT
[#1]
That's not a bad price. I owned a snub 686 and I found the 19/66 nicer to carry and I shot both about the same - including full power loads. Unless you are going to run a lot of hot loads through it I'd hold out for a snub K frame.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 2:47:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I would be all over it even with the lock.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 7:22:51 PM EDT
[#3]
That's a good price but I will never buy a S&W with a lock. If it does not bother you, hop on it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 7:31:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Lock will get you killed, three times, on the streets!

You can remove the lock if it bothers you...
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 8:03:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Offer him $400 out the door and enjoy your new revolver.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:24:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the advice everyone. As far as the lock, yes, that's a hesitation for me. This wouldn't really be a carry gun for me, other than occasionally carrying it in the woods, riding ATV's, driving the tractor, etc. It would mainly just be a range, truck, and/or hide around the house gun.   Regardless, I'd still look into removing the lock.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 12:24:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Just buy it/  It's a hell of a price.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 12:24:04 PM EDT
[#8]
The presence of the lock is a hugely over blown non issue! I have had three lock revolvers without a single issue even a j frame magnum. There are rare instances of locks failing, just like the airbags in the car, but you still drive right? Is the lock a failure point that increases malfunction risk an almost infinitesimal amount? Yes would I lose sleep over it? No
Would I buy a gun with a lock at that price?
Absolutely
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 12:24:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Good buy. Plug for the lock is $35 if it bothers you.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 7:10:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Good price. But $399 to $450 OTD means that your state sales tax is ridiculous.    

But it's still a good buy.    
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 10:48:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good price. But $399 to $450 OTD means that your state sales tax is ridiculous.    

But it's still a good buy.    
View Quote

Yeah, our sales tax is around 10%, plus I added $10 for a background check. We basically done have an income tax so it all evens out.  

I'm out of town now but if it is still there when I get back I may take a closer look.  Thank you to everyone so far who has replied. Any other opinions or comments about a 2.5" 686 are still appreciated!
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 3:13:34 AM EDT
[#12]
that is balls cheap from what I see in Arizona and gunbroker.

The lock can be an issue, but 99% of the time it is on a lightweight revolver shooting +p or magnum rounds.  Not something to worry about with a 686.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 8:18:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I would buy that in a heartbeat. I don't mind the locks.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 6:52:33 PM EDT
[#14]
That's a fantastic buy.

I've got a 3" that I carry every day. The only reason I went 3" instead of 2.5" is the 2.5" has the snub ejector rod and the 3" has the full length ejector rod that helps with the longer cases.

The lock is a non-issue. It won't really hurt anything and if you want it gone, take it out. Plus the mim internals and frame mounted firing pin are easier to get a good trigger job.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 6:46:17 AM EDT
[#15]
I bought a prelock snubnose 686 Plus a few years ago for $500 OTD.  It is a great shooter and stays by my bed at home in a small gun safe.  If the lock bothers you then take it out, easy mod.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top