Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2016 9:44:34 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:18:16 PM EDT
[#1]
There was a batch of pistols with this problem.  Smith and Wesson will take care of it if you contact them.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:55:50 PM EDT
[#2]

My old one was bad.
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 8:30:20 AM EDT
[#3]
hmmm,  how can this be, I thought the slides were stainless and that shouldn't rust correct?

I bet if you call them they will refinish the slide.  Hope they fix it for you.
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 8:57:28 AM EDT
[#4]
stainless will stain.
stainless will rust.

stainless IS NOT STAINLESS... (it's merely less apt to stain or rust due to the lower iron content of the steel - I believe they use chromium or some other metal in its stead).

if you want something to NOT rust, then dont put it in a safe with little air movement or low oxygen content.  (low O2 and lack of air movement promote rusting)
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 7:01:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
stainless will stain.
stainless will rust.

stainless IS NOT STAINLESS... (it's merely less apt to stain or rust due to the lower iron content of the steel - I believe they use chromium or some other metal in its stead).

if you want something to NOT rust, then dont put it in a safe with little air movement or low oxygen content.  (low O2 and lack of air movement promote rusting)
View Quote

Oxygen is REQUIRED for rusting to occur!

Typically Stainless used in firearms is 400 series, and yes 400 series will rust. 300 series is MUCH more resistant to rust but isn't suitable for firearms.

What would concern me is I thought that M&P slides were melonited. Anything melonited should be damn near rust PROOF!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top