Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2015 3:45:00 PM EDT
I just picked up a BG and review after review said that they can occasionally have an issue with the last shot not activating the slide hold open. After messing around with it it seems that it's because the springs are too weak to always push the follower up. The mag and follower are clean and when I'm manually pulling the slide back the follower doesn't always want to come all the way up. If I tap the bottom of the mag with it then it clicks into place to hold the slide open. Upon taking out the springs I noticed that the springs are much taller than the mag itself. So I was thinking that the spring tension isn't enough to make it hold open consistently.

Does anyone sell stiffer/longer springs for the BG mags? I chatted with S&W today and they are sending out new springs (for a new and un-shot gun) and said they don't make longer/stiffer springs.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:38:19 PM EDT
[#1]
You will soon discover that when new, the springs feed rounds up and activate the hold open.  After they are used for a short while, they start not activating the hold open.  Soon after that they stop feeding rounds up at various places in the magazine stack.  You can put in new springs and it just repeats the process.

For the round count, there is not enough dead space under the follower to prevent the spring from being "crushed" for lack of a better word.  Just one of the many problems my BodyGuard .380 had before it went off to the crusher after spending more on FedEx for its travels back and forth than the gun cost and after wasting 600 rounds of my not replaceable .380.

I wish you luck.  You'll need it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:43:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the post. Couldn't we put a 1/2" filler on the base plate to take up the space in the mag and make the springs compress more?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:49:00 PM EDT
[#3]
http://gallowayprecision.com/smith-and-wesson/bodyguard-380/magguts-high-capacity-magazine-conversion-for-bodyguard-380/

I've done this and still load to standard. Over 1000 rounds through mine no trouble yet.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:57:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
http://gallowayprecision.com/smith-and-wesson/bodyguard-380/magguts-high-capacity-magazine-conversion-for-bodyguard-380/

I've done this and still load to standard. Over 1000 rounds through mine no trouble yet.
View Quote

Thanks for the link. Does your slide lock back every time?
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 12:25:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Hasn't failed yet. Stays loaded 24/7.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 1:45:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Awesome. I also noticed the 10% power springs by Wolf. They have them for the P3AT but not for the BG. Anyone know if I could use the Wolf springs in the BG?
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 10:34:55 AM EDT
[#7]
I dont have a BG but I do have a Kahr .380.  There springs and followers are not so good.  I ended up replacing them with Magguts.  The plus to doing this is that you get an extra round without adding length to your magazine.  I have shot over 1300 rounds through my Kahr without a magazine malfunction (including holding the slide open on the last shot).  Magguts have been very reliable for me.  If interested here is the link for the BG: http://magguts.com/shop/smith-wesson/sw-bg380
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 11:37:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Thank you for the post! I also have a TCP and that always locks up so I compared springs and the TCP spring has 1 more coil. So I put it in my BG mag and it locks back every time and the follow has some "umph" when the slide opens. I put back in my BG spring and it failed to lock back about 50% of the time. This is only hand cycling, not with shooting. I do have a feeling the results would be the same. Also, the mag still holds the full 6 rounds with room to spare with the TCP spring in the BG mag body. So I'm going to see if I can get some springs from Taurus before I drop coin on Mag guts. I know it's not much, but every bit counts...LOL.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 11:43:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Consider the tool steel firing pin and hammers spring kit. I did everything Galloways offered and it made my M&P BG my favorite.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 12:51:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I honestly was definitely going to do both of those as well. I haven't decided about the sights. This is a close range, not target, so I'll probably keep the sights and do some paint to them or something.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 1:25:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Just looked at Galloway again and it'd be $94 for the parts and the mag kits. Not too bad.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 8:58:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Well I went ahead and ordered a few things.

Galloway mag guts x2
Galloway hammer spring
Galloway firing pin
Galloway heavy recoil spring
Universal sight pusher

So when the ammo gets delivered I'm hoping the pistol will be ready to go with no issues.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 5:23:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Received the Galloway parts and put them in. I'm looking forward to shooting the gun when the ammo arrives. The mags have ALOT more spring tension and the slide locks back every time now!!! I'm going to fun 200-250 rounds through the gun and see how it does!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top